Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 7, 2005, 7:53 PM   #11

well thank you. How can you tell what settings i took the pic with? lol im a rookie with the camera but trying to learn so all the info i get from you and others really helps
sincerecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 7:56 PM   #12

oh yeah, now after i set the camera on the A on the dial and set the setting to f8 do i take the pic while the dial is on the A?
Old Aug 7, 2005, 8:03 PM   #13

i just now noticed that if i open the flash the little hand goes away, is that letting me know i need more light?
Old Aug 7, 2005, 8:41 PM   #14

Well, let's see...you've asked a few questions here...(LOL)

I'll take them in order...

I can tell what settings you used to take your pictures thanks to a nifty little program called IEXIF 2.2 from Opanda. EXIF (which stands for Exchangeable Image File Format) data is embedded in each digital picture. It's a real handy tool to use to figure out what you did wrong (or right) on pictures you've taken. You can also use it to analyze pictures taken by others (once you've saved them to your hard drive). You can download it here (it's freeware):

http://www.opanda.com/

Yes, after you set the dial to 'A', you take the picture that way - don't forget to also set your camera to MACRO mode, and use the flash as before.

The little hand means you need more light...or a faster shutter speed to prevent blur.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 8:47 PM   #15

well thank you very much that will help a lot. I thought you were magic knowing what settings i used lol. You are a sweatheart and thanks again
Old Aug 8, 2005, 4:05 AM   #16

Hey, watch that sweetheart stuff! My image is at stake here...you know...the Hun (it's not the Hon, LOL).

the Hun
Attached Images

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:32 AM   #17

Cowboy,

Hang in there Cowboy! I bought my S5100 back in February experienced some of the same problems and frustrations that you are having. I didn't realize therewas a good "learning curve" when using digital cameras! But thanks to Goofas, jp, rinniethehun and others I'm beginning to take better pictures. It was frustrating at first but I think I'm getting better. I still shot most of my shots in Auto or Program mode, but am experimenting with the other modes more.

One thing I've learned about macros is that you don't have to get within inches. Here is on of a Eastern Tiger Swallowtail that I took from about a 18 inches away shot in macro mode.I would also mention that in really low conditions I use the flash.

Keep shoot em' Cowboy!

Attached Images

labirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 9:48 AM   #18

I suspect there are some here who will disagree with what I'm going to say. But a professional photographer told my son-in-law that if you want to take good macro images your shutter speed should be at least 1/1000 of a second. In other words, you can't just hold the camera "pretty steady"; you have to have the camera rocksolid steady to take good macro images. I suppose that is why I don't try it very often.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 12:33 PM   #19

Great shot! Keep up the good work and thanks for the compliment.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:49 PM   #20

hey thanks rob at least you gave me a little bit of encouragement lol