Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:24 PM   #21

Yep, everyone has pretty much said it all. "Pretty steady" is not good enough. Picture 1 "blur" is obviously camera shake so pretty steady didn't work. Pic 2 is simply out of focus.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:32 PM   #22

well thanks for the reply, some come out pretty decent but a lot of them dont and seems like im holding it the same on all of them but hopefully with all the tips everyone gave me ill get better. I just took this pic before dark and it wasnt bad so im learning a little already. Im just thankfull for all the people on here who put out the time to help therookies like me lol
Attached Images

sincerecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 5:42 PM   #23

hello, wanted to ask you a question, youve been so much help lol. I have been using the exif program you sent me to download, when im looking at the settings on a picture i took. I dont see where it says shutter speed, is exposure and shutter speed the same thing? i saw where on one pic it said exposure 1/60 was that the shutter speed? Sorry im such a rookie but im learning more and more as i go and ask questions lol here is another pic i took while practicing
Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2005, 6:31 PM   #24

Yes, 1/60 is the shutter speed. In my opinion, that is very slow for trying to hand-hold a macro shot. It has been said previously in this thread that "pretty steady" isn't good enough. The camera has to be rock solid stationery in order to get good macro photos as well as long telephoto photos. A while back someone posted some information about a cable release that had been developed as a clip on accessory to the 5100. I purchased one of them, and for long telephoto shots it does extremely well. I haven't done any macro photography so I can't comment on how it would work for that, but I'm sure it would work extremely well. If you could put your camera on a tripod that would help too.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 6:36 PM   #25

where do i go to on the camera to change the shutter spped? Do i turn the dial to the S and then it has numbers up to 1000. Also then do i take the pic while the setting is on the S?
Old Aug 27, 2005, 7:12 PM   #26

I have not done any macro photography. But from what I have read in the manual, you could set the dial to "S" so that you can control the shutter speed and let the camera control the f-stop. OR, if you are feeling brave, you can go to "M" and adjust both. But I would recommend that you wait a while before you do that. You also might consider the "P" mode and let the camera set both the f-stop and the shutter speed, but then you have the ability to use the four-way controller to adjust the combination so that you get an appropriate shutter speed. Whichever mode you choose, after you have made that selection leave it on that setting, then activate the macro mode and take your pictures. Try all of the different program modes. It isn't going to cost you anything, and it isn't going to hurt the camera either.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 7:25 PM   #27

well thank you very much ill try a few of those things and see what happens
Old Aug 27, 2005, 7:55 PM   #28

I realize this thread is about your problems with macro photography. But I remember a while back that you were having trouble with taking clear images at the full zoom position with your 5100. This picture is not all that spectacular as far as the scenery is concerned, but it was taken at full zoom with my 5100 late yesterday afternoon. The camera was mounted on a tripod, and I used the cable release that I spoke of previously. I think it is about as clear of a long telephoto image as can be expected from this camera.
Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:00 PM   #29

well that is a very nice pic it looks really good. I caught this pic of a morning sky a while back and had to take a pic of it. Of course i was sitting in my truck holding the camera out the window to take it but it is a pretty scene i think
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:01 PM   #30

whoops sent it before i attached the pic lol sorry here it is
Attached Images