Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 7, 2005, 3:08 PM   #1

everytime i take macro shots, im lucky to get 1 out of 12 to look decent. I have the camera set on auto and i pic the macro setting, getting pretty frustrated, ive had my camera for about a month could use some advice
sincerecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2005, 3:20 PM   #2

Hi cowboy,

Can you post one of your dismal failures so we can try to understand why you are having problems? Are you trying to take macros inside or outside? Bright light or low light? Is the whole picture blurry or just one area?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 5:35 PM   #3

ok i took about 7 pics just now, several were blurry a couple were pretty good. Im holding the camera pretty steady but most the pics come out blurry.
Attached Images

Old Aug 7, 2005, 5:37 PM   #4

here is one more of a zinia i just took
Attached Images

Old Aug 7, 2005, 6:34 PM   #5

Looks like a little rain is falling in Duncan tonight. Cowboy, I see two problems in the EXIF info for the two shots you posted, same for both pics. Both times your camera tried to tell you something...one is an "out of focus" warning, and the other is a "blur" warning. No matter how steady you hold your camera, if the subject is out of focus, you won't get a clear shot. You need to either move closer or further away until the "out of focus" warning goes away. At that point, at least a portion of your subject will be sharply focused.

The second issue is the "blur" warning. This was caused by a relatively slow shutter speed...1/15 second for the 'rose' and 1/28 second for the 'zinnia'. You can probably hold the 1/28 sec. fairly still with a good rest, but the 1/15 second is a little harder. In addition, the F2.9 aperture setting the camera selected gives you very little depth of field. Therefore, even if a portion of you pic was in focus, the rest of the flower might not be.

Take a look at the pic of the two batteries...I took this in AUTO mode, with a shutter speed of 1/60 sec, F4, and ISO 100 (I needed to use the flash for this one). The batteries are placed about 6" apart. The near battery is in focus, but the one in the rear is not.

...more to follow...

the Hun
Attached Images

Old Aug 7, 2005, 6:39 PM   #6

I'm back - forgot how to post multiple images here...

Now look at the pic of the batteries after I used Aperture priority, and set the aperture to F8...still 1/60 second and ISO 100...

You'll see that the battery in the rear is now in focus...well, could be better, but I think it's good enough to make a case for my depth of field example - the smaller the aperture (bigger the number), the greater the depth of field.

Try to take a couple of similar pics, and see if it doesn't work for you, cowboy.

Good luck.

the Hun

Attached Images

Old Aug 7, 2005, 6:43 PM   #7

thank you very much, we did get a little r ain here a few minutes ago, i snapped a quick pic before the clouds closed up completely
Attached Images

Old Aug 7, 2005, 7:20 PM   #8

yeah, i was in your shoes not long ago cowboy.. i just recently bought the same camera. all my macro's came out blurry and out of focus. but once i started using a tripod .. and steadying up my grip on the camera, using different shooting modes and playing with apature settings i started getting nice clear photos.. with time theyll improve
Macro-Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 7:26 PM   #9

hey thanks, i guess im just getting a little frustrated. Im holding the camera pretty steady. Somemtimes there is a small hand with a question mark by it on the screen but not sure what i need to do to make that go away. Here is one macro shot i was able to get a decent pic this time after taking several
Attached Images

Old Aug 7, 2005, 7:49 PM   #10

Nice hibiscus! That was taken at 1/60 second, F4, ISO 64. Now, if you were to take that same shot again, but set your camera to aperture priority (the Big 'A' on your dial), then press the down arrow on the back of your camera until it says F7 or F8, it would probably be just about perfectly in focus (greater depth of field).

That little hand in your viewfinder is the "blur" warning...it means your shutter speed is too slow to avoid blurring by camera shake. If you use a tripod, you won't have to worry about that. Otherwise, add more light, either with a flash, or a spotlight.

I liked 'the heavens open'.

the Hun