Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 20, 2005, 8:57 AM   #11

Hi Ira,

Your results sound very much like those of a friend of mine. He is a professional cat photographer (one of the best known) takingpics at a cat show somewhere in the world most every weekendand has several dslrs and lots of expensive lenses, but right now his S7000 is his primary backup camera. We discussed the S7k at length while I visited him at a showlast year, he has shot an entire show with the S7k and said it was probably the least understood camera ever made and showed me some of his results with it. Then again, I'm surethat he would get good results with a disposable or whatever was at hand, I've been looking at his pics for years, they all look great with his unique "style" no matter whether it was film slr, dslr, "prosumer", or something else.I've had some great shots with my S7k (and I'm strictly a complete amateur, take pics for fun), I've been really impressed with the results. One pic in particular I printed at 8.5 x 11 of a hawk eating a squirrelin the park, pretty much out of camera with almost no PP (I don't have any good software), and it really impressed me.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:27 PM   #12

Clyde

Interesting story, I didn't realize that cat photography could be such a big thing, but where ever there are enthusiastic people, there is a market. I tend to agree with your friend, too many people tend to look only at advertised specs like resolution and then concentrate on 100% screen shots showing noise. A camera which has good resolution, accurate colour and a pleasing grain/noise pattern produces images which have more "life" to them then clinically accurate super high res cameras do. I am very pleased with my S7000 and usually the only post processing necessary is a little adjustment to levels in order to correct for flat lighting (usually indoor shots or those taken in the shade outdoors).

MikDee

I tried it out at a wedding about three weeks ago but at that time I did not get good results because I was trying to stay out of the way of the official photographer, and I was using an external flash which was hardly any more powerful than the built in flash (Vivitar 2000 bounce flash) for the wedding last week I used a much more powerful Vivitar 285 (I used a set of my 2000mAh NiMH batteries in the flash, cycle times were excellent) and got much better results.

Thanks you for your response.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:59 PM   #13

I do have some pretty amazing photos of Iraq (ones the news won't show cause they are good news instead of shockfactor news) with the 7000. The clarity has amazed me at times. Just FYI only the southern part of Iraq is sahara desert like, the rest is farmlands haha.
djgiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:29 PM   #14

I sell photos on a couple of stock sites, and a number of my images came from a S7000.

However, in the case of stock photography, agencies inspect images at 100% so if you submit S7000 pics out-of-camera, they will almost always get rejected. I have to take my shots at 12MP "fine", then reduce them to a 6MP size myself in Paint Shop Pro later, and using version 9's good noise removal filter, I am able to get them to a good enough level to usually be accepted for stock photos.

For things like pet portraits or stuff like that, the customer isn't going to inspect images at 100% on a monitor before you print them, so that should be less of an issue. Just be aware that Fuji's "superCCD" produces some funky artifacts when you do view them at full size, and places like stock agencies, magazines, and sometimes newspapers, WILL look at them at full res.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 7:46 PM   #15

In my opinion, "inspecting" pictures at 100% on a monitor screen is a pointless exercise in futility, the printed picture should be the determining factor. That being said, it is a shame that you and others have to put up with these idiots at these stock photo agencies who continue to judge pics by how they appear at 100% on a monitor screen.

Clyde
Old Aug 25, 2005, 7:56 PM   #16

Hi Ira,

The photographer I was talking about is Richard Chanan, pick up most any issue ofCat Fancy magazine,the TICATrend, or the CFA Almanac, and a high percentage of the pictures submittedof high quality cats were shot by Chanan. He has been going to cat shows all over the world for 25 or more years, so his career spans both film/slides and digital. His S7k shots were beautiful (though he normally shoots with one of several dslrs) and he re-affirmed the decision I made to purchase an S7k. While I continue to hear even today about how "noisy" the S7k is, none of my S7k prints have been so. So this camera works well for me, it may not do so for some people and perhaps they should just find a camera that works better for them.

Clyde
Old Aug 25, 2005, 9:17 PM   #17

all discussion of the 'pro' use ofthe s7000 are now academic

s9000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:13 PM   #18

Clyde Atkinson wrote:
Quote:
In my opinion, "inspecting" pictures at 100% on a monitor screen is a pointless exercise in futility, the printed picture should be the determining factor. That being said, it is a shame that you and others have to put up with these idiots at these stock photo agencies who continue to judge pics by how they appear at 100% on a monitor screen.

Clyde

While this may be true, it's usually the CLIENTS of the stock agencies that ask for it, not necessarily the agencies who wish to take the time, expense, and manpower to look over each incoming photo with a fine tooth comb. Still, that's the way it is, so we have to deal with it, and if you use a camera with a Super CCD in it, there are things you have to do in order to get past "inspectors".
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 1:15 PM   #19

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
all discussion of the 'pro' use ofthe s7000 are now academic

s9000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not necessarily, many people may not upgrade for quite some time, some may never upgrade.

Clyde
Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:16 PM   #20

'pros' WILL upgrade

the 7000 will become the backup
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote