Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:50 AM   #1

hi

just got my camera yesterday and im wondering if there is a way of getting a apperture of f8 in landscape mode ??

my old kodak all you did was put it in a mode and press landscape button but this seems a problem with s5500 ??

paul
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:43 AM   #2

I haven't used the landscape mode very much on my 5100, which is the same model that is sold in the U.S.. But it is my understanding that it is just an automatic mode that places greater emphasis on smaller appertures, thereby increasing the depth of field. If you want to have absolute control over the appertures, I would suggest setting the mode dial to "A" which, I'm sure you understand, allows you to specifically set the F-Stop. In some of the other reading I have done it has been pointed out that you can enhance the color of your landscape images if you set the color setting to "Chrome".
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:48 AM   #3

thanks alot but im sure the pics come out clearer in landscape mode (infinity).

i want infinity focus and a apperture of around f8 can this be done on the s5100/5500 ??

hope you know what im on about !!!

paul
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:24 AM   #4

Landscape mode does not automatically mean infinity. It's simply an automatic mode that changes the programming in the camera to favor smaller F-Stops. That is ALL that it is. Why don't you try taking a picture in the landscape mode, then switch to apperture preferred mode and set the f-stop to F8 and take the same picture? Then compare the two images and decide for yourself if landscape mode is REALLY as much better as you think it would be. I mean, after all, every picture you take doesn't have to be perfect. Consider experimenting a little bit to find out what works for you.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:47 AM   #5

thanks for the advice and also do you leave the adapter ring on your camera all the time ??

can you recomend a case/bag for my camera which can hold all leads etc ??

paul
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:03 PM   #6

Yes, I leave the adapter ring on the camera all the time. I occasionally use a polarizer filter. And I like the little bit of protection the adapter ring provides. We were getting on a chartered flight to fly over Mount McKinley when we were in Alaska back in May, and my son-in-law dropped the camera. Not very far, but the adapter ring protected the lens, and everything was OK.

As far as a camera bag is concerned, the choice is yours. I had a little soft case that I had been keeping an old 35mm SLR in, and it works just fine for what I want. Just go to a camera store and see what is available that pushes your buttons.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:13 PM   #7

marshy,

Here's an idea or two for a case...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...281065#p281065

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 7:06 AM   #8

I use the Hama Samsonite Biskaya F50 Colt pictured below:

It can be carried quite comfortably like, well, a colt when using the belt loops and provides just enough space for a spare set of batteries, a little toy tripod and possibly a memory card. I got mine for 13 € at a local hardware store. However, if have no idea if they sell this bag in the UK.

http://www.hama.de/portal/articleId*...+biskaya?lid=2
Attached Images

Malte is offline   Reply With Quote