Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 10, 2005, 4:52 PM   #1

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this flash unit with a Fuji 5100. Yes, I know, the 5100 does not support an external flash, but take a look at this anyway. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vivitar-Digital-...QQcmdZViewItem
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:54 PM   #2

It looks pretty good to me. I did notice that their"Direct Flash" with the on camera example appears inaccurate. The on camera flash doesn't produceshadow-shift so dramatic.

My personal view of "high volume" vendors on ebay lead me away from purchases. They seldom have time to answer email or calls. If there's a problem, it could take weeks to make it right. I'd look for the flash and grip elsewhere. Just my opinion.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:40 PM   #3

I say go for it, as for the direct flash, the closer to the handle you mount your camera, the less shadow shift you will get. Note one unfortunate feature of slave units however, if anyone else is using a flash your slave will probably fire with their flash.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:50 PM   #4

I looked at the Vivitar website, and they have another flash that is designed to work like the one in that eBay offering. I have often wondered about the flash units that are mounted to the side and above the camera. The shadows seem to be something to be concerned about. And yet, when I watch professional photographers shoot at weddings, that is what many of them seem to use. I guess it doesn't really matter anyway because my needs for external flash are not all that great. Just something I saw that I felt was kind of interesting.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 1:04 PM   #5

jphess

The unit on ebay is really two separate items, the handle slave unit with a hot shoe and a Vivitar 2000 flash unit. The advantage here is that this same handle would also Trigger something more substantial like a Vivitar 285. As for the shadow, there are a couple of tricks you can use, first as I said, make sure the camera is mounted as close to the handle as will fit, this reduces the flash angle. Next get your subject far enough away from the background that the shadow does not show in the image (sometimes you can mount the flash as far away from the camera as possible and use a distant background to get some pleasant lighting effects). If you get this unit then test for the configuration that works best, and if you have an average 8' white ceiling then uses the bounce.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 1:17 PM   #6

Well, don't hold your breath waiting for a report because I don't have any plans to purchase the unit right now. If I REALLY find a need for it sometime in the future, then I will think about it. But not right now.