Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 11, 2005, 9:08 PM   #11

jphess wrote:
Quote:
For instance, if I open a JPEG image in Photoshop, it will be reported at 72 PPI and the dimensions will be something like 36x27 inches (those dimensions may not be exact, but the concept is what we are concerned about). Now, using the same camera, if I take a RAW picture, Fuji has decided to report the resolution of RAW images at 240 PPI, and that means that the pixels are "squeezed" closer together, so the size of the picture is reported as roughly 8.5x11 inches. There are no more or less pixels, it's just that the resolution that is used to calculate the total number of pixels affects the size of the print.

If you send or take your digital images to a commercial photo processor, their software will make the resolution compensation necessary to make the picture print and look good. Some of these online photo labs indicate that they can print images as large as 20x30 inches from the pictures I take with my camera. I can tell you that I have had a few photo books printed for me by mypublisher.com. Some of the pictures in the albums that I have created have been 9x12 inch, full-page, full bleed photographs. And they have turned out extremely well. If you are going to print your pictures at home you need some software that will allow you to Resize your pictures and change the resolution, and you need to understand how to use it properly. I use Photoshop. There are several other programs that people enjoy using

thanks jphess for the information, I opened two images one taken by nikon and other by fuji the nikon height and width was 8.64X6.48 inches in photoshop and that of fuji was 31 x 23. now i am somewhat clear why the dpi isnt that important as both comes to almost same numbers if resized.

jphess can you kindly tell me how to resize the image in photoshop as i want to take a print out of both and convince my dad that Fuji is good as he was telling no to fuji after he saw 72dpi compared to nikons 300dpi

thanks
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 9:29 PM   #12

Apparently you are still not understanding the concept. In reality, there is no difference in the resolution of the two pictures, the one from the Nikon and the other from the Fuji. The only difference is how the two camera companies have decided to report the size. You must read my previous message again, and again, and again, and think about what has been said.

I don't know what version of Photoshop you have. There are several ways to do what you want to do. Here is ONE easy way:

Open the Fuji image in Photoshop.
Go to Image/Image Size.
Change the pixels per inch from 72 to 300.
Make sure you have removed the check mark from Resample. Click OK.
Your image will now be smaller in dimensions, but will have a resolution of 300 PPI.
Print the image.

There are a number of other things that can be done, but that is the simplest set of instructions I can provide. I don't know how much Photoshop experience you have. When you set up your printing options, you might want to make sure you have selected "Scale to fit" and that will make the photograph fit the paper you have chosen.

But again, the Nikon image is not a 300 PPI image. The Nikon has simply chosen to provide you with the dimensions that the photograph would be IF there were 300 pixels in each square inch, where Fuji has chosen to provide you with dimensions IF there were 72 pixels in each square inch. That is the only difference. If you look at the pixel size of each image in the Photoshop resize dialogue, I think you will discover that they will be very close to the same size.

The other thing you could do is simply take the two images to a local photo processor (I use Sam's Club) and have the two images printed. That way you wouldn't have to worry about doing a thing to them. Just let the photo processor and do all the work. All you have to do is compare the two prints.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:55 PM   #13

jphess wrote:
Quote:
There are a number of other things that can be done, but that is the simplest set of instructions I can provide. I don't know how much Photoshop experience you have. When you set up your printing options, you might want to make sure you have selected "Scale to fit" and that will make the photograph fit the paper you have chosen.

But again, the Nikon image is not a 300 PPI image. The Nikon has simply chosen to provide you with the dimensions that the photograph would be IF there were 300 pixels in each square inch, where Fuji has chosen to provide you with dimensions IF there were 72 pixels in each square inch. That is the only difference. If you look at the pixel size of each image in the Photoshop resize dialogue, I think you will discover that they will be very close to the same size.
I think i am getting everything now
Now i have some experience in photoshop so if you want you can share some tips with me and make a :|
Old Aug 12, 2005, 1:12 PM   #14

It's very difficult to know where to start on a subject like "Photoshop tips". And I don't think this forum is the appropriate place to do that. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on how resizing should be done. If you go to the Photoshop user forms and ask a question about resizing you will get countless approaches. Just take the two images to a photo processor and have them printed and compare them. That is the simplest way I know of to get the answer to your question.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:55 PM   #15

thanks for the info jphress