Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:26 AM   #1

I just received a finepix f10 as a gift and a good friend of mine accidentally dropped it. It was only less than 3 ft and onto carpet, but i guess it landed right on the lens. So now the outermost segment of the lens is slanted downwards a noticeable amount and the lens will not retract ["Zoom Error"].

I don't think there's any way i can get a free replacement or something, so i'm wondering how much it would cost to fix, or if it's possible for me to fix it myself. (opening up the case and realigning the lens, i'm thinking) I'm worried that the lens might be a bit more complicated than i think. Any advice?

P.S. it sucks that this camera is so fragile!! i mean, less than 3 feet onto a carpet surface, cmon! >=[ !!!

-dc
dc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:09 AM   #2

I kow how to get it replaced free of charge. Have your "friend" sack up and pay for breaking your camera. Accidents do happen and one MUST take responsibility for ones actions. Does not sound like a "friend" to me.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:48 AM   #3

I couldn't agree more. If I dropped your camera I'd buy you a new one. Next time bring it here and I'll drop it for you!!

Personally, I never let ANYONE handle my cameras unless they've got their hand through the handstrap or their neck through the neckstrap, and even then there's a danger that they'll touch the front of the lens with their fingers, unless they know how to handle cameras.
Monkeybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:21 PM   #4

Quote:
P.S. it sucks that this camera is so fragile!! i mean, less than 3 feet onto a carpet surface, cmon!
Force = Mass x Acceleration.

Acceleration = Gravity / Velocity.

Momentum = Mass x Velocity.

Plug in some values and it's like driving your car into a solid wall at 30mph! What do you think is going to happen? Damn cheap cars. :roll::-)

CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 7:56 PM   #5

dc123 wrote:
Quote:
it sucks that this camera is so fragile!! i mean, less than 3 feet onto a carpet surface, cmon! >=[ !!!
It's a conspiracy I tell you. Same thing happened when I dropped my old rangefinder into a flowing stream. Only 1 foot of water! C'mon!

amateurdabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 10:41 PM   #6

dc123 wrote:
Quote:
, or if it's possible for me to fix it myself. (opening up the case and realigning the lens, i'm thinking) I'm worried that the lens might be a bit more complicated than i think. Any advice?
IMO, it's nearly impossible to fix it yourself. There are plastic things inside and rather complicated. I am myself an ... advanced handyman :crazy:, and when I broke my D7i lens, I paid 500$ toexchange for a new camera from minolta. lenses are precision mecanism, but made like a toy . Sorry for what 's happened to your camera
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 12:21 PM   #7
AWT

The cheek!

If I dropped someone's camera I'd offer to pay to have it repaired on the spot. If your friend didn't offer to do so once you realised it was dead that's plain WRONG:shock:
AWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:24 AM   #8

I'm an amateur so there is no guarantee this will work. I had the same problem with an S304, which is a bit different. It was realigned by brute force. The lens has 3 sets of spiral grooves and runners, take a firm hold and straighten it, it should click back into place. It's not working now, give it a go. My camera is still not working, but that is because I electrically overloaded something before I realigned the lens.

I have since pulled the S304 apart, it was simple but fiddly, and I have a part left over, so pay attention if you pull it apart. Went back together simply too.
Karm1 is offline   Reply With Quote