Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 23, 2005, 9:38 AM   #21

This is a great thread - I'm learning a lot from all of your posts and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:10 AM   #22

Yes, and that is the whole point I was trying to make. IF I was ever to do a wedding again, I would shoot everything in RAW format. Having control is what I strive for when I am shooting "critical" photography. Personally, in those types of situations I don't think it's worth taking the chances as you say. I want to make sure all my options are open. I don't know if there is a big difference in the speed of the Celeron processors, but my 1.6 Ghz P4 handles Camera Raw quite well. I can understand your wanting to shoot JPEG images. It just seems to me that too many people here tend to brush the RAW format aside. And it really is a major step forward in digital photography.

Jim
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:43 PM   #23

This is what I posted in another forum this morning, when this discussion came up.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15145826

I probably didn't spend more than 10 seconds on the RAW file, so it could probably have been better... but it got the point across to the person I originally did this for.
New2Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 1:12 PM   #24

When I shot a wedding earlier I had an issue with memory size, my 512MB CF card will only hold about 39 RAW files, total capacity using all of my memory cards is less than 100 shots which is why I shot over 300 jpg files instead. I know the end product would be better using RAW but until I can invest in more memory cards I am limited. As for the processor, my 2.5 Celeron runs PSCS2 very slowly, it is usable but nowhere near as fast as Elements or PS7. Since I am only trying out CS2 to see if I really need all of the power, it will wait until I can upgrade before I purchase it. Until then I will use Elements and s7raw (which is adequate but not as good as Adobe Camera RAW).

Does anyone know if there is a camera RAW plug in that works with the original PhotoShop Elements?

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 2:20 PM   #25

That it is the disadvantage of shooting the RAW images. They are huge. I wish Fuji could come up with a better file structure. The files from my 5100 are over 8 MB, and the RAW files from the Nikon D70 are only about 4 MB. Go figure. But that is one of the advantages of the 9000. It's possible to use the less expensive micro-drives.

As far as a raw converter for the original Photoshop Elements, I'm afraid that it is only the most current version (3.0, but 4.0 seems to be imminent) that will support the raw file format. I really wish Pixmantec would get their act together and include Fuji support with their RawShooter Essentials. That would be a very good alternative, although you would have to save your images as 8-bit TIF or PSD images because the older versions of Elements don't support 16-bit images.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:35 AM   #26

Hiya

I have a copy of Paintshop Pro 9, and was looking at the manual last night. I notice that it can convert RAW images, and mentions Fuji as one of the cameras supported. Just wondering if anyone had tried it.

Bestest wishes

Crystin
CrystinJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:52 AM   #27

Crystin, I have PSP9 and an S9500 and it would not recognise the Raw images but I downloaded S7raw and that does, so you can use that to convert.
malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:59 AM   #28

The problem is that all the camera manufactures are developing their raw formats and apparently refining them as they go. So even though your software says it supports Fuji cameras, it probably will not support very many of the cameras that came out after the software was developed.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:59 AM   #29

Thanks

Perhaps it will be worth enquiring of Jasc if they are developing one as an update.

Bestest wishes

Crystin
CrystinJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:43 AM   #30

G'day all

Being brand new to this forum and having just come into the possession of an S7000,I hope someone can help me concerning s7raw.

I have searched extensively for some sort of guide/manual on the converter but is it as you say [Monza76] that there is no such beast and that you have to figure the program out for yourself??
skaa is offline   Reply With Quote