Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:38 AM   #31

I am not up to speed with RAW. So someone might have to explain what I will need to play with RAW files wiyth my S9500. The way I understood things the software that came with the camera will only change the RAW files to TIFF and not allow me to play with the pics. (sort of defeats the purpose of shooting in RAW, doesn't it).

Maybe someone needs to explain the difference between RAW, JPEG and TIFF for me? It is all a little too much at the moment for my brain to assimulate when all I want to do is play with my camera. Eventually I will have to play with the pics I take, so any and all help is welcome.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:13 AM   #32

The software Fuji provides is basically worthless for working with RAW images. You are correct in your understanding that the FinePix Viewer software will only allow you to convert them to TIF images, and then they are only 8-bit images. A good raw converter will allow you to make a lot of fine adjustments to your raw images before you load them into your favorite photo editing software. A raw image is not processed in any way by your camera. Whenever a camera saves a JPEG image it processes that image and applies a certain amount of color correction and sharpness correction, etc. A good raw converter will allow you to adjust the white balance, the sharpness, make certain lens corrections (such as chromatic aberration, vignetting, etc.) and they will allow you to save the images as 16-bit images so that you have a lot more color information to work with. Once you learn how to work with the raw images effectively, you will find it difficult to work with JPEG images because of the control that you sacrifice. At least I do. Whenever I revert back to shooting JPEGs, I find myself wishing I hadn't. However, Fuji raw images are painfully large. The ones from your 9500 will be about 18 MB in size. So you will need a large card or even a Micro Drive if you want to do any extensive shooting. And you will need a fairly hefty computer to be able to efficiently work on the images. S7Raw has many of the features I have alluded to, but I don't particularly care for it. Personally, I prefer Adobe Camera Raw, which is a plug-in for Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. There are some other good raw converters out there, but they don't support Fuji raw files yet. And even Photoshop does not support the raw files from the new 9000/9500. I know they are working on adding that compatibility, but I suspect it will be a couple of months before we can hope to see it. In the meantime, since you aren't familiar with shooting raw images, I would suggest continuing to shoot in the JPEG format and sharpen your skills with the camera and do some reading to get yourself up to speed on what raw images are all about.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:11 AM   #33

Thanks for the info, jphess.

I am hoping that there will be a plug-in for S9X00 RAW pics before January. My sister-in-law would like me to take some pictures at her wedding and I would like to avoid taking too many in JPEG if I can.

My plan is to take the more formal pictures in RAW and the social pics in JPEG.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:41 AM   #34

I know that Adobe was actively looking for raw images from the 9000. I provided a link to one of the images that was posted on this forum, and I got an e-mail from Thomas Knoll telling me that he got the image. I think they are actively working on providing support for the camera, and I would guess that it will be out in time for you to use it on your wedding photographs. But you have to remember that the support will only be for the current version of Adobe Camera Raw, and it is only compatible with Photoshop CS2. If you don't have that, you can download the Digital Negative Converter (which is a free download from Adobe) and convert your files to the DNG format. Then you can open those files in Photoshop CS using Adobe Camera Raw 2.4. You will have most of the raw editing capabilities. I cannot remember what changed between 2.4 and 3.2. I'm probably giving you more information than you really want. If you search around the Adobe website there are some excellent PDF files about working with raw images. And Bruce Fraser has written a book that everyone says is a "must read" for anyone who use going to shoot raw images.

Jim
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:29 AM   #35

If I send Thomas Knoll all the RAW files he can handle, do you think he can do me a deal with Adobe CS2?:-)
Old Oct 4, 2005, 5:44 PM   #36

I rather doubt he would be interested in any more files. All he needs is one file so that he can get the file structure and adapt it to Adobe Camera Raw. I doubt he even cares what is in the picture.