Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:10 PM   #1

I have had my 602 for about five years now, and have recently experienced problems when shooting in the'Scene Position Mode' setting, and in high altitude. I am using the Sports Mode to capture photo's of grandkids skiing, and playing sports. The altitude ranges from 8000 feet to 10000 feet. What occurs is that the scene indicator begins jumping from one thing to another. From 'Sports' to 'Portrait', 'Landscape', 'Night Scene', etc. I don't have this problem at lower altitude.

I know there has been an issuein altitude when usingsome mini drives, but I am using the 128 MB Smart Media. I don't think it is related to tempetureeither. FujiFilm tech's say they have never heard of such an issue, and suggest it may be an issue with a switch. I would appreciate hearing if any one else has experienced this situation.
newto602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Administrator

That is an odd one. I'd probably tend to agree with Fuji's theory. It's more likely the switch if it's only doing it in Sports Mode. Chances are the contacts are oxidized a little bit under that mode selection.

As for why it would work differently at higher altitudes, I don't have any idea (unless the greater atomospheric pressure at lower altitudes helps the switch to make a better connection). But, that's a leap in faith. I'd be more inclined to think it has to do with temperature differences ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:34 PM   #3

Possibly unrelated but i had a problem with sports mode on the SP mode on a 602 zoom. I got a 2.2gb microdrive and when i hit the sports mode on sp it wiped my card! Definately something mystery going on there...

Maybe useless thought I would share anyway....

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:18 AM   #4

newto602 wrote:
Quote:
... problems when shooting in the'Scene Position Mode' setting, and in high altitude. I am using the Sports Mode to capture photo's of grandkids skiing, and playing sports. The altitude ranges from 8000 feet to 10000 feet. What occurs is that the scene indicator begins jumping from one thing to another. From 'Sports' to 'Portrait', 'Landscape', 'Night Scene', etc. I don't have this problem at lower altitude
It is definitely strange. The business with randomly hopping between settings is QUITE common. I've had many like that. Every one was due to a loose ribbon connector and my best guess is that its the same fault. The fact that it happens only at high alts is also NOT uncommon. ie only during or when .. etc loose ribbon cables have a mind of their own. If you want to have a look, check out http://www.digsys.com.au/s602/s602.html
Getting the back off is EASY as pie.
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:57 PM   #5

Get rid of the microdrive, it's a power hog!

My 602 ate a microdrive.

Use CF cards.

It might have been the cold rather than the altitude.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 3:31 AM   #6

Hi Terry,

So does a 602 take CF1 cards? I wasn't sure having never seen one and the manual for the camera only states SmartMedia and Microdrives...

Thanks,

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:08 AM   #7

DomCotton wrote:
Quote:
So does a 602 take CF1 cards?
Pretty well everyone has been using CF1's for years without any problems and I've used many dozens (mostly Ridata now) since the S602 came out. There is a well documented history of why Fuji didn't "officially" sanction CFIs, but it was all rubbish.
You will benefit with card speeds of up to 32X, after that there is very little gain. Since there is no price difference to the 52X and 80Xs, go for the fastest, you may use them in future devices.
As for the MicroDrive comment - YES they are power hungry, but 100s use them with NO incidents, including many I know at high altitudes (YES, they do have an altitude rating). I do NOT believe the problem was due to the MD
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote