Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 29, 2005, 4:27 AM   #1

I have just recently purchased the S5100 and find it awesome!

One slight problem is that I was using it on Sat. night at a BBQ and found it impossible to frame shots correctly because it was too dark for either the viewfinder or the LCD.

How do I frame shots in low light conditions?:?
BigBarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:47 AM   #2

There is a lowlight assist feature that will help with the focusing up to about 7 feet. And, there is a button on the back of the camera that will temporarily boost the brightness of the LCD screen. I think the information is on page 49 of the owner's manual.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 10:13 AM   #3

I tried the button to brighten the LCD but that did not help.

I think that feature is to boost the LCD in sunlight ........not in the dark!!:-)
BigBarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:16 AM   #4

All I can say is, you must have really been working under some extremely low light conditions. I haven't encountered such a problem so far. There is an adjustment in the setup menus for LCD brightness. I haven't found it necessary to play with that adjustment, but it might be something for you to look at. The only other suggestion I have would be to try to increase the existing light. The 5100 is a pretty good camera. I like using mine. But you have to remember that it isn't a professional level camera, and it does have some limitations.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:21 AM   #5

This may sound a little crude, but it works...something I figured out when trying to take some night fishing pics with my old film camera. Use a small flashlight to illuminate your subject. A mini MAG lite works quite well - just place it against the left side of the camera and hold it in place with your left hand. It will give you enough light so that you can see to frame your subject, and it won't affect the exposure. The AF assist lamp on the S5100 is really good. I've been able to focus in almost total darkness with mine.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote