Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:15 AM   #1

I'm wondering if there is some kind of external flash out there that can work with my camera? I have slave strobes that I use for portrait work, but I am photographing a friends wedding inmid-september and am desparately searching for some kind of external flash because the hall's lighting is pretty bad. I really would love to find something similar to Gary Fongs Lightsphere http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/ca...showprevnext=1

something that diffuses light for a more proffessional looking flash...I don't want to be worried so much about harsh shadows and ultra flat lighting. I've done a few searches on this forum and google, but can't seem to find anything! I'm hoping against all odds that somebody here may be able to point me in the right direction, if it's even possible? TIA...

Melanie
mschade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:48 AM   #2

I ran across this a while back on eBay. I am done a little looking on other websites as well. Vivitar has one specific flash model that is made specifically to work as a slave flash. I think I found something similar to what this link will show you on B & H Photo. You might have to do some additional searching to find what you want. I was quite interested in it for a while, but have decided that if I ever get to the point that I really need more flash power I will try to upgrade to a camera that has external flash capabilities. But, here is a link that will show you the idea of what is possible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vivitar-Digital-...QQcmdZViewItem
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:05 AM   #3

Ah Ha!!! Thank you so much, this is what I have been searching for....funny, I did a search on ebay too but nothing came up...so thank you so much for letting me know about this! I just finished buying it! It's not exactly what I wanted (flash WITH Diffuser) but it will definitely be better than nothing! So again, Thank you so much!

Melanie
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:09 AM   #4

You are welcome. After you get it and have a chance to try it out, let us know what you think about it. I would be interested to hear from you.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:17 AM   #5

I most certainly will.

Something I had not considered....after reading some more on it (after buying it! Doh!) I realized that it is two units...agrip with a hot shoe adapter and slave, and then the flash itself....I'm wondering if since the grip has a hot shoe, if I could purchase the lightsphere and attach it to the grip??? Anybody have any thoughts on that? Thanks again!

Melanie
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:58 AM   #6

At the bottom of the page for the lightsphere, where you order, you have to indicate which flash it is for. Apparently it is made for specific flash units. I suppose if you could figure out which one of those flashes is close in size to the one that comes with the unit you purchased then you could probably tape it to secure it in place if necessary. You see, that is one of the challenges we have to face when the camera isn't really designed to provide the kind of flexibility that we want or need. There are some "Band-Aid" approaches to provide us with some of the features that we want, but our options are always limited.