Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 5, 2005, 6:40 AM   #11

Hello Steve, Ira and All,

I admit my S9000 comments may be over the top, but I based them on S9000 prints held in my own hand and the commemts of Letsgodigtal.org's Editor.

Each time (daily) Iuse my F-828 I can't stopthinking how better my shots would be if I had the S9000 in my hands.

Here is an example of what I mean:

While sitting as a member of the audience at a dance concert at the Queens Museum of Art in New Yok City, the Public Affairs Director announced that the performers requested that there be no flash photography. I immediately took my F-828 off my flash bracket and raised the ISO to 200, then 400 and even 800 ( a no-no with my F-828 unless you are in bright light). The theatre was quite dark with only spotlights illuminating only small areas of the statge.

I pushed my F-828 to its limits and beyond. The shots that were too noisy but that captured the moment were post-processed into 'art work' rather than photographs.

The evening's images are here: http://nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/771952

If I had the S9000 in my hand I am sure I would have been able to avoid many blurry shots, noisy shots, and present my work as true photographs rather than 'art work'.

Regrads, Nicholas

( P.S. I will indeed post links to my S9000 images once I get its shutter button under my pointer finger.)

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:49 AM   #12

Nicholas

I completely understand your point of view, a DSLR wouldseem ideal for what you do BUT it would be bigger, heavier and, unless you have lots of cash and a strong back, it will not have the lens speed of the digicam. I have used a Canon 20D with a Sigma 70-210mm f2.8 lens at a high school graduation, the low light shots were great but the camera wore me out from the shear mass. If the S9X00 supplies a truly usable 1600 ISO (or even a very good 800 for that matter) it would supply a much more manageable package for this kind of work.

BTW, the S9000 does lose more lens speed as it zooms then the Sony you have now (well over one stop) so take that into consideration when you consider the low light work, the real gain you will get is in reduced noise.

I also look forward to seeing those first S9000 shots, I still haven't completely decided on a DSLR.

SteveDak

I don't think you can go wrong with an S9X00 Fuji, my wife has a 2800Z (just 2MP) which is amazing, and I use an S7000. Some of our work is at http://aicphotography.tripod.com/index.htm, admittedly a couple of the older pics here were scanned from 35mm, and a couple of others were from a Pentax Optio 33L (a thoroughly underrated camera), but most are from the Fujis. You will also see comments by reviewersabout how Fuji does not allow adjusting compression (quality) at anything less than full resolution, I don't follow the logic here, if you want best quality aren't you going to use the highest resolution anyway? (Please, no comments about interpolated files, it has all been said before). I think Fuji offers the best "bang-for-the-buck" in this market segment, and the S9000 (like my S7000) is not saddled with Fuji's only real negative, the xD card.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 10:51 AM   #13

Ira,

Forgive my ignorance, why is the xD card a negative - is this a cost/ compatability issue or is there more to it?

Many thanks,

Steve

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 11:21 AM   #14

The xD cards are more expensive for one thing. And although Fuji has said they will have them available as large as 8 GB, 1 GB is as large as they make so far. Compare that was the 9000 that will either use the xD or CF cards and even the Micro drive with much higher capacity. But, then again, high-capacity there is still quite expensive.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 1:22 PM   #15

SteveDak,

jphess pretty much covered it, CF cards are much cheaper than xD, that and the fact that only Fuji and Olympus use xD so it does not have applications beyond these cameras. If you already have an investment in xD cards they will work fine in the S9X00, but fast CF cards are available in bigger sizes for a lower price. My 16X (not real fast) 512Mb CF card cost about the same as a 256Mb xD.

The issue is that Fuji chose to introduce a new memory card while others went with CF or, more commonly now-a-days the SD. I don't think there is any real reason for the xD card (or, dare I say it, the Sony Memory Stick) to exist, except to get more sales for your format before the third party manufacturers get started. The CF compatibility was a big point in my decision to buy the S7000, I already had three cameras which used CF and AA batteries. My 16Mb xD card sits in its slot for that one day when I have filled the CF card and just need one or two more shots (jpeg of course, only 1 raw will fit). Notice that Fuji, Olympus and Sony all offer CF slots in their high end cameras, say it all.

Basically I see proprietary batteries and proprietary memory cards as a marketing ploy (in many cases they actually offer less performance).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 3:16 PM   #16

As far as the functionality and the durability of the xD card is concerned, I think it is just fine. I have not heard of any of them failing, and I haven't had any problems with them so far. But then, I have only been using them for about four months.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:05 AM   #17

Fuji now do a type 'm' standard in relation to XD cards.

This enables greater storage capacity (upto 8gb).

I'm not sure on read/write times..... I have read some conflicting info on reported speeds of XD and the new XD type 'M'.

Does anyone have any first hand examples of timings? Against other formats?

I seem to be heading off-topic!

Back to the S9000 (S9500 here in UK) !

Mines on order and should be here before the week is out

Sintax
Sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:59 PM   #18

Hi all,

Initial comments from first few recipients of the S9500 on the 9000/9500pages (dp review)in the main don't appear too enthusiastic! Keeping an open mind until broader opinion manifests itself. Carlton seems happy enough with his. Thanks for input on xD cards everyone.

Does anyone have a good link to a typical lens schematic that displays the various terminology? I'm trying to get to the nuts & bolts of lens theory (not too deeply mind you!) to make sure I understandlens specs and use. Ira, have a feeling you might be able to help on this one?!

Steve
Old Sep 7, 2005, 2:50 AM   #19

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
Initial comments from first few recipients of the S9500 on the 9000/9500pages (dp review)

Hello, do you have the link please?
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 4:49 AM   #20

Hi Gaul,

Herewith, http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1012you'll need to navigate through the various 9000/9500 threads. Most of thenegative commentseems to relate to long blank periods on the EVF &predictably,noise issues. More than one contributor is wondering whether he has a factory fault! I am watching events with keen interestbefore I commit to one, as I'm sure a lot of other people are!