Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 30, 2003, 7:02 AM   #11

Lauren, I think you confirmed my suspicions. We may be lead to believe from Fuji's reluctance to offer an upgrade route for firmware, that this might be a microchip transplant job. But I'm suspecting that it's probably a firmware image download task, logically, across the USB interface.

In which case, there should be no excuse. Those of us competent to reflash a BIOS or modem should have no problems if they supplied the image and loader utility. In your case you'd be interested in language modules, others are saying we'd like updated firmware to get rid of some of the annoying features - like date stamping reset to zero etc etc.

PS Good luck with the Job hunting. Thanks - VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 7:11 AM   #12

There's always the possibility that FujiFilm is actually fabbing different chips, but that seems like such a waste of time and effort when they could use some generic flash RAM and interchange the binary.

Do any other camera companies offer this kind of DIY firmware upgrade? What kind of effect would it have on your warranty?
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 7:50 AM   #13

I think Olympus and Nikon do. I think what Fuji miss is that consumers will lose patience buying newer and newer cams, and as competition between manufacturers increases and time to market gets shorter, they will become like pc vendors, improving (or fixing) the product in the market place with upgrades.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote