Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:55 AM   #11

Hi Hun, The zoom barrel, and to which the conversion lens would be attached, propels outward as with the 5100. That's one of the reasons why the 5100 comes with the 48 to 55mm sleeve - the conversion lens screws to the front of the sleeve allowing the zoom barrel to move in & out within it and stopping short of the conversion lens itself.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 8:11 PM   #12

Thanks for setting me straight on that. After perusing the Fuji (UK) site, and reading about the S5600's non-extending fixed lens...

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/ca...eras/range.php

'...the lens is fixed in place. This has two advantages: There is no delay, waiting for the lens to extend or retract...The new design keeps the lens mechanism permanently housed within the exterior of the camera, rather than allowing the extending moving parts to be exposed to knocks and bumps.'

...I then went to the S9500 page and thought I read the same thing...

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/ca...eras/range.php

'Unlike interchangeable lenses, this one's fixed to the camera for ever. And that is a good thing – not only will the interior of the camera be protected from dust and ...'

Obviously, 'fixed in place' and 'fixed to the camera' are two different things.

I wonder why the Fuji sites in different countries provide different highlights and sample photos for the same cameras?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:11 PM   #13

What they are saying is that it is a sealed unit and that the lensis not detachable as with SLRs. Benefit they are pushing is that their one lens is good for alloccasions(?) and the user doesn't have to worry about the ingress of dust & debris associated with lens changes.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 4:15 AM   #14

Hun

The S5600 has the same lens as the older S5500 since the physical size of the sensor hasn't changed. All they have done is removed the mechanism which extended and retracted the lens so that it is now permanently extended. The zoom mechanism of this lens is an internal type which involves little or no movement of the lens barrel when in operation, as well, the adapter which protected the lens and allowed filter mounting on the S5500 has now been replaced by a permanently attached unit which still serves the same function.

The S9500 has a new lens designed to work with its much larger sensor. This lens does not extend on startup and retract on shut down either, but it does use a manual zoom mechanism which involves a substantial in-and-out movement of the lens during zoom operation (looks like a movement of about 3cm or more in the pictures).

Hope this makes things a little clearer.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 5:58 AM   #15

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Hun

The S5600 has the same lens as the older S5500 since the physical size of the sensor hasn't changed.*
Not quite right. The 5100/5500 has a 1/2.7" CCD, the 5200/5600 will have a 1/2.5" CCD. I hope I got things right ...
So the 5200/5600's CCD is a bit bigger but has to handle 1 MP more than the 5100/5500's. The Super CCD will make the difference - time will tell.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 1:02 PM   #16

Hun

Oops! didn't read carefully, I need to check out the specs again, one point though, the overall design is basically an S5100 with a new sensor and that silly retracting lens mechanism removed. That is where most of the performance advantage comes from.

Ira
Old Sep 9, 2005, 4:16 PM   #17

There must be another difference between the S5100 and the S5200, because Fuji is claiming a shutter lag of 0.01 seconds (I'm assuming pre-focus, although they don't say how it was measured), where the S5100 (pre-focus) was timed at 0.055 seconds in an independent review. 0.055 seconds is pretty quick, but 0.01 seconds is awesome!

How do you think they managed that?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 5:13 PM   #18

Bouncier springs???:G:blah::?:-)
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 6:21 PM   #19

Hun

Each successive S5X00 model has some performance improvements, as well as some losses. I expect the redesign of this model, this time around, is fairly extensive (S5000 to s5100 was mainly just the imager and firmware). If you are going for near DSLR performance it pays to do it right.

Springs and all.

Ira
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:21 PM   #20

the lens is fixed in the sense that it does not need to extend upon camera power-up but the front element(s) DO MOVE IN AND OUT when zooming

from the fuji brochure:

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:23 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote