Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 7, 2005, 7:46 PM   #1

Hello Ira, Sarah, and All,

Thought this news was worth a new thread:

What would you think if I linked you to a Third Party Manufacturer who has developed a full line of 'Optical' accessories for the S9000?

Olympus was slow to introduce their 4/3 lenses, but finally did.

Here is a company who evidently invested their money on the S9000 which is only just about to be released.

This company is rolling the dice on the S9000 and I would assume they feel they have good reason to do so, namely: the S9000 will succeed in the market place:

(Sorry for the long lead in)

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/s9000/

Waiting to hear your comments,

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:02 PM   #2

Nicholas

I think the point here is that Raynox already have the lenses in a size that will work and now they recognize the potential this camera represents. Naysayers have been predicting the demise of the EVF prosumer camera as DSLRs have gotten cheaper, what they fail to realize (but Raynox understands) is that many people are intelligent enough to see that a DSLR system will cost far more than the budget kit sells for, while a camera like the S9000 is everything you will need (except a larger flash, which is available cheap because it is not a dedicated unit). This quality of lens will cost big bucks in DSLR format.

As I stated earlier in another thread, these cameras are great value for those of us who cannot afford the peripheral costs of DSLR ownership.

Glad to see Raynox is backing the Fuji, may end up with one of these yet.

Ira

Oops, had to fix a spelling error.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 2:05 AM   #3

A question; these lenses look to be fairlyweighty appendages to be sticking onto the end of the zoom barrel which, if I understand the mechanics of the9000 correctly and if it is anything like the 5100 barrel,probably has a bit of play/tolerance to allow for smooth movement. Surely these can't be good for the lens mechanism? Again, this may be an ignorant question!
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:13 AM   #4

Think Ira is spot on again. Had a look around the Raynox site& specs and these lenses in the main appear to be stock items, compatible with other brands as well. Having looked atthe site, I'm even more concerned that these wouldn't be very good for the camera's lens mechanism- think they will apply one hell of a cantilever load on the barrel fixing/slide and think Fuji would have warrantyissues on this one. I could well be wrong though and have missed something bearing in mind I don't have an S9000 in hand yet.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 5:23 AM   #5

Fuji accessories for the S9000 incl. wide angle or telephoto adapters:

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/ac...nses.php#range
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 8:11 AM   #6

Hi Gaul, These are Fuji generic lenses and not 9000 specific. I've got the TL-FX9 tele conversion lens for my 5100 which you have to screw on to the AR-FX5A adapter ring that comes with the camera. Although they call thisan adapter ring which it is, its there as much to protect the zoom barrel and to allow the barrel to zoom withoutbeing obstructed bythe add on lens. I certainly wouldn't want to mount the weight ofthe teleconversion lens on the end of my zoom barrel directly and the 5100seems to have ashorterextension moment than the S9000 at full zoom. I can't believe Fuji will sanction adding anything on other than filters, but I may be wrong.As I say, I'm speaking a bit out of turn as I do not have a 9000 yet and am only going by what I can make out from various elevations of the camera. Perhaps the zoom barrel on the 9000 is considerably more substantial than on the 5100, being a manual mechanism?

Find it quite significant however that the 9000 Owner's Manual does not offer teleconversion lenses as optional accessoriesin the accessories section at the back, whereas my 5100 Manual does.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:49 AM   #7

Thanks Steve

Fuji site is confusing then. I did go 1st on S9500 page then on Accessories.

Usually, if you go to a main product first and from there to accessories, you get only the related accessories fitting on this product.
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 10:29 AM   #8

Hi All,Copied this from the Raynox page advertising the lenses - think this says it all (didn't notice these comments before) they also state that their adaptor rings have to be used thereby reinforcing Ira's"stock item meeting marketing opportunity" view point

The DCR-CF185PRO/DCR-FE180PRO lenses weigh 565g (1.24lbs)/685g (1.5 lbs)and they are rather heavy stuff and may limit the way of shooting condition.Be careful in handling the camera with the lens attached, such as supporting or protecting the lens by your own hand.

Raynox telephoto conversion lenses were designed to use at maximum Telephoto position of camera's zoom lens.
Raynox wideangle conversion lenses were designed to use at maximum wideangle position of camera's zoom lens unless specified.

Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:17 PM   #9

Unless I'm missing something, both the S9000 and the S5200 have fixed lenses. The part that moves is sealed inside the camera. Therefore, whatever you screw onto the lens won't have any effect on zoom, movement, focus, etc - there is none external to the camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:48 PM   #10

I think you'll find the 9000 is a little different. I am providing a link to Page 4 of a review that has been posted in this forum. If you scroll to the bottom of the Page, you will see an animation of the lens zooming. It doesn't appear to be self-contained.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/re...s9000_EN4.html
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote