Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 9, 2005, 7:44 PM   #11

Strackman

I have also looked at the Samsung but the specs indicate that the imaging sensor may be the same 8MP Sony chip that has been used in all of last years 8MP prosumer models. If that is the case it will not offer very good noise performance (none of these cameras currently on the market produce usable results above ISO-200 except for snapshot sized prints.) It definitely does belong on this list however.

It may not be that Sony chip, and the lens is certainly a nice piece of work bur the camera strikes me as being a trifle complex with 2 LCD monitors and an EVF. I reserve judgement until I get more information. I would put it with the Panasonic FZ30 and state that they would be excellent cameras for shooting wildlife in good light.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:29 PM   #12

:-):-)The Samsung is also interesting...15X zoom, shutter lag of 50ms (0.05 sec), which is probably almost instantaneous...start-up of 1 second...viewfinder all the way to the left of the camera, which looks good for right-eyed folks like me...rather than in the center where your nose imprints the LCD...small, yet a thoughtful touch...any left-eyed folks out there who are now upset???:-):-):-):-)

Manual zoom and focus rings, something many seem to like about KM products...

However, 1.9 pounds (heavy, just like R1 and some others) and proprietary lithium battery, altho good for 500 shots...I am not a Fanatic for AAs, but I tend to like the universal distribution in every Walmart and Eckerd in the USA...

Forgive me for sounding superficial, and I don't mean to sound like I have to wear and advertise "Nikon" around my neck (I really don't), but is Samsung as reputable a company as the usual suspects, like KM, Canon, Nikon, Oly, etc???...are they a first-tier manufacturer or like a second-tier manufacturer???...I know there are other Samsung products where they may be world leaders in certain kinds of electronics, as I have a Samsung DVD/VCR, but when I think of cameras, I do not think of Samsung...who would sell it locally, and, more important, who would SERVICE the camera is necessary???...

As always, the Bob Atkins preview sounded like a press release...anyone have the scoop on the camera's shortcomings???...yes, the perfect camera isn't made yet, but one MUST know where the compromises will be made...

Now, if the R1 sensor could be placed in the Samsung 15X zoom with Samsung's two LCD screens...oh, yeah, 2 LCD screens, does that sound helpful, or would one screen that is tilt-and-twist be more versatile???...looks to me that 2 screens gives you eye-level and waist-level (floor level??) shots, but no awkward type shots...

Like Ira, whose analysis is quite insightful, I apologize for rambling...:-):-):-)
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:32 PM   #13

Oh, and I forgot...if there are soon-to-be-released upgrades to the Nikon CP8800, Oly 8080, and a Sony F929, a comparo topic may make us nutty...and no one has mentioned anything that may come from KM to replace the A2, A200...

Ain't capitalism great???
Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:35 PM   #14

OK, the last forgotten thought...a possible upgrade to the Canon Pro1, which, if it does exist, I assume will be called......................................Pro2.. .............
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:15 PM   #15

I would like to see the Samsung Pro-815, but it is becoming dubious. It was scheduled for a Jine 2005 release, and they even held a big press conference on 06/02/05, but as far as I know it is still not on the dealer's shelves.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:24 PM   #16

Samsung 815 Pro is being sold, I think, by Adorama for about $850US. So which is better 9000S or 815Pro??? Any opinions out there? Both seem fast, start at 28mm equivalent, good tele zooms, excellent resolution and color saturation.

hmmmmmm
npronpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:19 PM   #17

No comment on the 815 Pro just a general comment on Samsung. Personally I have had very good experiences with Samsung electronics products, and the lens is designed by a respected company which is best known for large format lenses. My only concern about this camera is where does the 2/3" 8MP chip come from, is it the same Sony that produces great images provided the ISO never goes above 50? I haven't really found out if that is the case and it does concern me.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:22 AM   #18

gaul wrote:
Those who have found additional reviews, links, please do not hesitate to add them.

Same if you want to compare additional cameras...
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:16 AM   #19

gaul wrote:
Quote:
Those who have found additional reviews, links, please do not hesitate to add them.

Same if you want to compare additional cameras...
A collection of Sony R-1 reviews:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28

nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 6:04 PM   #20

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...-743-1004.html
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote