Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:04 PM   #21

marsha7 wrote:
Quote:
Ain't capitalism great???
It's >£500 cameras calling themselves 'rebel' that gets me...
pterrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 6:39 AM   #22

The bonus question is: Which Point & Shoot in this category (good focal range, good image quality) is best?
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:08 AM   #23

I have a 'sort of' answer to the point and shoot question.

I really like my Nikon Coolpix 7900 as a 'carry everywhere' camera because it is light, has great battery life, and a wonderful lens with excellent sharpness and color saturation as long as there is decent lighting and you dont move the camera.

I would match the 7900 against high end DSLR's with price tags of 1000-4000 in good light without difficult shots to make... and you can blow those up to 16"x20" and have wonderful quality images. see some at:

http://public.fotki.com/npro/7900

My newest arrow in the quiver is a FujiFilm S9000 which is being called a 'bridge camera' between point and shoots and DSLR (digital single lens reflex) cameras. I am just learning how to use it but have about 75 images up from all kinds of shooting environments that you can take a look at. It is both similar and different from the Coolpix type of camera. It has a zoom that is wonderful and starts at the equivalent of 28mm wide angle. This is a necessity of you are shooting landscapes, interiors, or in any small space. It zooms out to 300mm equivalent which is great for candids or isolating design elements. It has an LCD in the back that is always on that you can compose on which you cannot do with a true DSLR (only good for reviewing a shot aftewards)... and this lcd will angle out so you can take pictures at your waist or even ground level or rest it on a bench and not be a contortionist to frame your shot.

When it comes to sharpness,ingoodlightI dont see a great deal of improvement over the Nikon 7900 with the S9000 even though the s9000 is a 9.1MP camera and has about 30% more pixels.

Most point and shoot cameras have a chip that collects the light and this processor produces images with lots of 'noise' or visual static when there is low light and you try to shoot at sensitivities of greater than ISO 100. The Fujifilm can shoot at ISO800 with very little noise which is pretty impressive - the Fujifilm folks claim it is a '5th generation' chip and it is siginificantly better than any other processor in its class.

With all point and shoots there is some shutter lag - something you do not get with the DSLRs.

here are some non-artistic images shot with the Fujifilm S9000:

http://public.fotki.com/npro/9000

npronpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:35 AM   #24

npronpro wrote:
Quote:
It has a zoom that is wonderful and starts at the equivalent of 28mm wide angle. This is a necessity of you are shooting landscapes, interiors, or in any small space. It zooms out to 300mm equivalent which is great for candids or isolating design elements.
Npro, thanks for your answer.

I agree with you that the focal range is a key differentiator between these 8 digicams.

I think the answer lies in each of us' requirements.

In my case, these 3 elements are key differentiators that should be found on a so-called "Bridge" camera:

1-A wide angle (28mm). It was/is the key difference between SLR and non-SLR cameras. It was the same before digital cameras. SLR allowed for wide angle but most compact started at 35mm.

2- A long range zoom (200mm).

3- Video Mode.

Today, few non-dSLR answer these 3 criteria. I think they are the real so-called "Bridge" digicams (between compacts and SLR)

In my case, that would leave in my final list only4 cams:

Fuji S9000

KM A200

Canon Powershot Pro1

Samsung 815 Pro :? (Looks nice, but let's call it the mystery camera, nobody has seen one yet...)

These 4 cams would be out:
Sony R-1 (No long range zoom, no Video mode)

Panasonic FZ30 (No wide angle)

Nikon Coolpix 8800 (No wide angle)

Kodak Easyshare P880 (No long range zoom) / Kodak Easyshare P880 (No wide angle) -> Is it a "1 camera in 2" new type of offer?

gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 4:58 PM   #25

npronpro wrote:
Quote:
When it comes to sharpness,ingoodlightI dont see a great deal of improvement over the Nikon 7900 with the S9000 even though the s9000 is a 9.1MP camera and has about 30% more pixels.

Thats because the difference, in resolution ifall thingsbeing equal,of a 9.1 MP verses a 7.1 MP image is only about 15% even though it has 30% more pixels. To double the resolution you need 4 times the MPs. Of course that isn't entirely related to sharpness but it does relate to detail which can make an image look sharp.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:30 PM   #26

Don't forget that everyone seems to expect successors to the KM A200, Coolpix 8800, and Canon Pro 1 that may be released prior to Xmas...plus, there is interest in the Samsung 815, but few have seen it yet, no idea yet just how good/bad it may be...:?:?:?
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 1:50 PM   #27

Hello all,

Thanks for all good comments. I think to get one S9000 soon.

Can somebody reassure me ? i have the impression to see more purple fringing with S9000 than with other cheaper cameras ! A good example is photo # 5 of the beautiful series which Npro offered to us at http://public.fotki.com/npro/9000

Gilles
Gigu27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 2:52 PM   #28

Gigu27 wrote:
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks for all good comments. I think to get one S9000 soon.

Can somebody reassure me ? i have the impression to see more purple fringing with S9000 than with other cheaper cameras ! A good example is photo # 5 of the beautiful series which Npro offered to us at http://public.fotki.com/npro/9000

Gilles
I can't reassure you. I've seen quite a few shots with bad purple fringing, and I've come to the conclussion that it's probably not even as good in low light as other cameras with optical image stabilisation. It also seems like there are some quality control issues, so if you can try out the specific camera before you buy it, that could be useful.

It looks like a great camera, and I may well still end up buying one, but I'm not convinced at the moment. I'd recommend waiting for steve's or dpreview to write a review.
pterrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:42 PM   #29

thanks pterrr for reply...As you my decision is not made but temptation is strong for S9000
Gigu27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 11:25 PM   #30

I admitto aging ungracefully but honestlydo notsee the purple fringing in #5. Do others actually see same?
npronpro is offline   Reply With Quote