Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 27, 2005, 4:10 PM   #11

You must remember this: I was sitting in the audience some 30 feet away! next, I had NO tripod and hand held these shots at around half a second!. The D60 was unable to auto focus in such low light and with its glass finder I could not even see what I was shooting, so manual focusing was not possible!.

No other camera could have handled such a shoot. The essence of movement was what I was out to achieve, so I am more than happy with the results. The only other camera that is able to shoot like this is the FZ20. If I were to publish the comparison shots between the 9500 and the FZ30, it would be highly embarrassing for the Fuji!

Cheers.
razzledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:12 PM   #12

Let's see the Fuji pics!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 2:16 AM   #13

razzledog wrote:
Quote:
No other camera could have handled such a shoot. The essence of movement was what I was out to achieve, so I am more than happy with the results. The only other camera that is able to shoot like this is the FZ20. If I were to publish the comparison shots between the 9500 and the FZ30, it would be highly embarrassing for the Fuji!

Cheers.
Sorry, but that sounds like crap to me.
If you had the Fuji, you would take this picture @ 400 or 800 ISO with high shutterspeed and thus have (maybe) an even better picture.

You can't just say the Fuji would have been worse, because you haven't tested it.

my 2ct
Nefius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 2:52 AM   #14

The advantages of the Panasonic FZ series are the superb F2.8 Leica glass and the IS system, I've took shots in similar conditions where a Minolta 7Hi set on ISO800 didn't get a single good shot, here's a sample, shot during Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party last December, about 10pm in a theatre so very dark, about 40 feet from the stage using ISO100, 12x optical zoom (420mm) and hand held at 1/15 sec

I've gone for the S9500 instead of the FZ30 due to 2 things, 1st (and most important) the amount of noise, even at ISO100 it's still noticeable and 2nd the price, I managed to get my S9500 from Dabs when they wre at £302 + delivery + VAT, so over £100 cheaper than the FZ30, if the Fuji wasn't available I would have gone for the FZ5 instead of the FZ30.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Update! My S9500 just arrived :-)
Attached Images

phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:59 AM   #15

Maybe the S9500 pics are posted on the Panasonic forum?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:11 AM   #16

Well Nefius, you are mistaken! I have performed several comparative tests with both cameras and the Fuji simply doesn`t compare! It is part of my job to test ALL new cameras and supply large 11x14 inch prints for customer appraisal. All images are given the same treatment (no post production) and all are printed on an Agfa D Lab 2. Believe me, I`m a stickler for image quality as I alsomanufacture and supply large format film cameras tophotographers in New York City. Get yourself together and do some serious comparisons for yourself, you`ll soon see that my comments are NOT crap. The Fuji images in ideallight conditionssimplylookgrubby and inferior next to the FZ30`sto begin with, so how could they improve? I have nightmares about constantly switching AA`s, plus they ALWAYS fail right when you need them, whymanufacturers persist with them is a complete mystery.I can`t see Canon or Nikon using AA`s to power the 5D or the D2X type of camera. If theycontinue to utilise these awful excuses for batteries, why not open up the battery compartments to allow fitting CRV3`s or rechargable Lithium-ion types? AAchargers not only can`t decide when charging is complete, they have also beenresponsiblefor burning down the oddhouse or two!.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:03 AM   #17

razzledog wrote:
Quote:
Well Nefius, you are mistaken! I have performed several comparative tests with both cameras and the Fuji simply doesn`t compare! It is part of my job to test ALL new cameras and supply large 11x14 inch prints for customer appraisal. All images are given the same treatment (no post production) and all are printed on an Agfa D Lab 2. Believe me, I`m a stickler for image quality as I alsomanufacture and supply large format film cameras tophotographers in New York City. Get yourself together and do some serious comparisons for yourself, you`ll soon see that my comments are NOT crap. The Fuji images in ideallight conditionssimplylookgrubby and inferior next to the FZ30`sto begin with, so how could they improve? I have nightmares about constantly switching AA`s, plus they ALWAYS fail right when you need them, whymanufacturers persist with them is a complete mystery.I can`t see Canon or Nikon using AA`s to power the 5D or the D2X type of camera. If theycontinue to utilise these awful excuses for batteries, why not open up the battery compartments to allow fitting CRV3`s or rechargable Lithium-ion types? AAchargers not only can`t decide when charging is complete, they have also beenresponsiblefor burning down the oddhouse or two!.
So you have taken the same picture with the S9500? Please let me show the results then, so we have a honest compare between the two.
Ofcourse the FZ30 makes great pictures, but so does the 9500. Show us a good example between the two and let's see.

2nd: i'm very very happy they still use AA's for the cam, because of 2 reasons:
- I allready got them (thus cheaper)
- You can buy them everywhere if you ran out of batteries.

And your remark of aa chargers burning down houses also makes no sense. Do you really think that no Lithium-ion charger ever burned a house down? come-on...
Or even that a Lithium-ion won't let you down on the moment you just want to shoot that one great picture? What illusions do you have?

My point is that you have a good picture of the FZ30 in low light conditions, and after that, you just asume that de S9500 will never had the same quality.

Proof is when you have 2 exact the same conditions and have the settings right from both cam's and shoot. Then you can decide if the picture of the S9500 can't make it with the quality of the FZ30.

And again:
My 2ct..
Nefius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:29 AM   #18

Well, so far I must admit to being disappointed with the S9500, I've taken a few direct comparison pictures using my 2Mp Panasonic FZ1v2 and I must say the Fuji picture are not that much better, in fact they are slightly softer with less detail, not the result I was expecting comparing a 2mp with a 9.3mp!. Here's 2 shots, cropped to the same central area, both were taken at ISO100 in P mode at full zoom, small levels adjustment and minor unsharp mask applied toboth shots.

Panasonic FZ1v2

Fuji S9500

For anyone interested the full versions can be downloaded from,

http://1106.org.uk/temp/Panasonic.JPGapprox 480k

http://1106.org.uk/temp/Fuji.JPGapprox 1.9mb

Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:43 PM   #19

Rest assured, identical pictures, only vastly different in quality will be posted soon!

As you can see, phaedra1106 has arrived at the same conclusion.....
Old Sep 28, 2005, 4:25 PM   #20

Not quite, having thought about this Ihope the lack of detail may be due to the old problem of a shutter speed lower than the focal length used, the Fuji was shooting at 1/80 to 1/160with a 320mm (equiv) setting, the Panasonic has the advantage of electronic IS so this doesn't cause it a problem.

I tried a few internal flash shots and the Fuji won these hands down, much greater detail. I'll try again tomorrow (10:20pm here in the UK!) and use shutter prioity and wind up the ISO if needed to get 1/400 or better. The Fujis max aperture at full zoom is F4.9 while the Panasonics excellent Leica is F2.8 over the entire range so more light which always helps

Here's a crop from the flash shots, both set at ISO100, shot from approx: 6 feet,

Panasonic

Fuji