Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 2, 2005, 2:16 AM   #61

razzledog

The low light performance is one of my prime concerns, as I my Canon, apart form the slow startup and performance, does not perform at all well, forcing me to use a tripodor the built inflash(too harsh) when I am taking pictures of my cat. This is why I favour the s9500 at the moment, although the Panasonic is looking good as well. When I am in a position to buy, I will hopefully be armed with the information from a number of reviews, as well as the information and samples/comparisons that several members such as yourself have kindly contributed. Apart from the above, I have found the A95 to be a good camera, and have had some nice photos, and will keep if for it's portability, as it is very superiot ro the camera on my mobile.

Bestest wishes

Crystin
CrystinJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 2:22 AM   #62
AWT

Razzledog,

Thanks for all the shots.. they're a fair enough comparison and I agree it's noise vs lens sharpness at the basic level.

The last shot has the Fuji as a clear winner by miles though, as Ioverwhelmingly prefer black cameras over silver:lol:

Andy
AWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 3:12 AM   #63

Just a couple of parting shots (pardon the pun) for the Hun..........

First screw an Olympus WCON-07 on the FZ30 and shoot @ 24mm..........then a quick Photoshop makeover to pull the verticals straight, (that comes from not being tall enough).
Attached Images

razzledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 3:14 AM   #64

Next, screw off the Ollie wide and zoom in 12x...............

Cheers guys.
Attached Images

Old Oct 2, 2005, 5:23 PM   #65

razzledog wrote:
Quote:
You must remember this: I was sitting in the audience some 30 feet away! next, I had NO tripod and hand held these shots at around half a second!. The D60 was unable to auto focus in such low light and with its glass finder I could not even see what I was shooting, so manual focusing was not possible!.

No other camera could have handled such a shoot. The essence of movement was what I was out to achieve, so I am more than happy with the results. The only other camera that is able to shoot like this is the FZ20. If I were to publish the comparison shots between the 9500 and the FZ30, it would be highly embarrassing for the Fuji!

Cheers.
You are not objective, did you ever take a beating from mister Fuji or something

The essence of lowlight photpgrafyis getting the shutterspeed up; that is what s9000 can and fz30 cannnot

I.S. is another word for tripodand does not eliminate subject movement.

Sure the leicalens is more than perfect but the sensor behind it is just not worthy of that perfect lens because of it's poor high iso performance and high noise.

I am still waiting to see some samples of indoor no flash moving subject pics from the s9500 but afte requesting several times no one seems to take shots like that

NAFTA

nafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:52 AM   #66

Let me know what it is you`d like to see and I`ll have a crack at it. What sort of moving subject,especially withno flash? Daylight coming in from a window?, moving how fast? I`ve never taken a beating from Mr Fuji? Does your local store offer any advice? Perhaps what you are attempting to capture is beyond the scope of a prosumer digital?

Cheers, Dean.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:53 AM   #67

Well, after another couple of days use my S9500 is going, it just doesn't come close to the results I get from the Panasonic. I took it to our stables around 5pm yesterday, 90% of the shots were very flat, lacking contrast and detail, I tried shots at ISO100 to 400 and out of 50+ shots there are about 5 that are acceptable.

Maybe I have a bad camera, the flash shots are excellent but under daylight the images are just not as crisp. The problem now is what to replace it with!, 1st choice is the Panasonic FZ5 then the FZ30, not really worried about the increased noise at ISO200 as I shoot mainly at ISO80 or 100 and 95% of my prints are on 6"x4".
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:27 AM   #68

Phaedra

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the one you have, as in the Buyer Beware thread?
CrystinJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 4:20 PM   #69

phaedra1106 wrote:
Quote:
Well, after another couple of days use my S9500 is going, it just doesn't come close to the results I get from the Panasonic. I took it to our stables around 5pm yesterday, 90% of the shots were very flat, lacking contrast and detail, I tried shots at ISO100 to 400 and out of 50+ shots there are about 5 that are acceptable.

Maybe I have a bad camera, the flash shots are excellent but under daylight the images are just not as crisp. The problem now is what to replace it with!, 1st choice is the Panasonic FZ5 then the FZ30, not really worried about the increased noise at ISO200 as I shoot mainly at ISO80 or 100 and 95% of my prints are on 6"x4".
Have you tried upping the contrast, saturation and sharpness in the camera setup?
To my eye the panasonic has too much contrast and is too sharp out of the camera. I have noticed the s9500/s9000 captures more shadow detail. The flash shots being better is the clue, it tends to add more contrast.

Sel .......:-)
SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:11 PM   #70

razzledog wrote:
Quote:
Let me know what it is you`d like to see and I`ll have a crack at it. What sort of moving subject,especially withno flash? Daylight coming in from a window?, moving how fast? I`ve never taken a beating from Mr Fuji? Does your local store offer any advice? Perhaps what you are attempting to capture is beyond the scope of a prosumer digital?

If that is the case I'll just wait for a prosumer that can take the shots I want. (maybe the sony r1)

I shoot at competitions Irish Dancing subjects in various indoor light scenes;sometimes daylight coming in from a window,and sometimes whatever is hanging on the ceiling, Flash is out of the question because it could pull a dancer out of his/her concentration andI don't like flashed pics. Could you try take some 1600asa shots with lower resolution setting to see what difference it makes.

Good to hear mr fuji did not hurt you.

But i do think youre s9000 shoots softer pics than i ve seen from other s9000's

nafta is offline   Reply With Quote