Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:11 PM   #71

Yes, tried every which way, best results (using jpg) were with exposure set to -.3 or -.7 and sharpness set to hard, didn't really notice much of a difference with the contrast adjustment. I'm used to sharp images straight from the camera and also the Panasonic IS, no matter what I tried thenon-flash shots just look soft, the helicopter picture on the previous pages is nice but there is a lack of detail that is apparent if youcompare them withthe aircraft captured in flight postsin the Panasonic forum.

Still not sure what to replace it with, the FZ5 is still 1st choice but I really want thelcd gain-up that'sbeenincludedon the FZ30. I'm off to Florida next week so if anyone can suggest a good dealer in the Kissimmee/Orlando area I'd be grateful I normally use B&H but their prices are expensive and the 3 other online dealers I've tried won't accept an international order even though I want it shipped to our friends in Florida, I do this a lot with Amazon, B&H, Viking Direct and InkjetGoodies without a problem.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:54 PM   #72

Well Dean, I never thought I'd see you admit that any camera could beat out your precious panasonic at anything, but I guess in at least one category, you have proven otherwise...

"The Fuji obviously wins out in the noise/lowlight situation..."

The results were what I expected, but it was nice to hear you admit it, anyway.

Since you asked, maybe you could head out to Echuca Friday night and take some comparison shots of the Sunwrae gig at the Paramount Performing Arts Center (available light only, please). Don't be afraid to crank up the shutter speed to freeze the action!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:53 PM   #73

Thanks Razzle for these shots.

Seems the Fuji S9000 can do more to me, but also that some users have experienced problems with some batches of cameras whereas nobody complained about defective FZ30. :?
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 5:18 PM   #74

gaul wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Razzle for these shots.

Seems the Fuji S9000 can do more to me, but also that some users have experienced problems with some batches of cameras whereas nobody complained about defective FZ30. :?
Except the reviewers at DCResource and DPReview - concerning image quality anyways...
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:17 PM   #75

Hi guys,

I would suggest to download the iso chart for camera tests, agree ona light source, distance and exposure and a region from the picture. We could post this and compare the results. In my opinion this is more objectiv than comparing all kind of different pictures. I have downloaded the pdf document here and printed it in A3 which seems a good size.

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~wes...res-chart.html

is anyone interested in comparing the pix=?

actually I have one where the left border up to 10% is blurry

The daylight pix lack detail in my opinion,but this might besubjective

Conquistador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 1:12 AM   #76

razzledog wrote:
Quote:
Now for the dismal attempt at the same subject! Smaller 10x doesn`t cut it, image is softer and what`s happened to the white brickwork`s detail? I`ve shownprospective customersthese shots and they are amazed. Maybe this explains the Fuji`s overnight price drop?

I am just now stumbling on this thread, and I have not read the whole thing, but the problem here has nothing to do with image quality. The Fuji picture is overexposed, which can just as well happen with any other camera depending on the metering mode used, so that is not a good comparison. I have tons of pictures which were over or underexposed with any of my cameras, including the Panasonic FZ30, Fuji F11, and Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D DSLR. At the same, correct, exposure, there would not be a noticable difference in detail, especially in a small resized image like that.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 7:31 PM   #77

Phaedra,

It's a pity you've not had much satisfaction from your 9500. Elsewhere on this site you'll find that there have been some real issues with certain individual cameras.

Here is a pic I took earlier this evening at a local park as the sun was setting. I'll post a resized version to let you see the whole pic and then just a section at 100% (if I can work out how to do it )

I'll include the exif data below in text format:

width - 3488
height - 2616
Hor. Res - 72 dpi
Vert. Res - 72 dpi
bit depth - 24
frame count - 1
equipment make - Fujifilm
Camera model - 9500
Creation Soft. - Adobe elements
Color Rep. - sRGB
Shutter speed - 1/372 sec
Lens Aperture - F/3.7
Focal Length - 15mm
F-number - F/3.7
Exposure time - 1/350 sec
iso speed - iso-100
metering mode - pattern
Exposure prog. - Normal
Expodure compensation - -1 step

Attached Images

bob_leitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 7:33 PM   #78

And here's the 100% crop without any pp.
Attached Images

bob_leitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 10:57 PM   #79

I have been very happy with the fuji. It's been a great all prosumer camera and I've had fun with mine since December. The fz30 looks like it takes some great shots as well. Either way I don't think you would be unhappy.

here are a few of my s9000 shots. It's a very versatile camera. The reason I bought it was due to this place (steves)

http://www.aaronrosa.com/index.php?showimage=57

http://www.aaronrosa.com/index.php?showimage=110

http://www.aaronrosa.com/index.php?showimage=73

http://www.aaronrosa.com/index.php?showimage=21

-Aaron
Aaronss9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 8:00 PM   #80

This post died and was buried 7 months ago - it should have been left that way.

Phaedra sold her Fuji and bought an FZ30. She currently resides full time on the panny forum. Razzledog disappeared after his October 3rd, 2005 post, never to be heard of again. The Hun continues to be his miserable self.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote