Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 9, 2005, 8:25 PM   #1

Apologies if this subject has already been discussed. I'm looking for advice on whether the S9000 with ISO 1600 and its high speed shutter compares favorably to a camera like Panasonic's DMZ-FZ30 with ISO 400 and 1/2000 shutter speed BUT with image stabilization. Both are in the 8-9 MP range and both are in the 10X-12X zoom range. So for me it comes down to which is less noisy in low light. Thanks.
sailfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:35 AM   #2

The differences :

Fuji S9000 is powered by AA batteries, 9MP one MP more then the FZ30 not a big difference but when you need it you have it. Flash sync up to 1/1000 sec, FZ30 I don't remember for sure, somewhere around 1/250 sec. Actually, you rarely shoot at that high flash sync of 1/1000 sec, again, when you have to, it's there for you. The FZ30 has a longer zoom range of 12X, I wish the Fuji could go up to that range, if I have to shoot a graduation ceremony I feel less frustrate to have that long extra arm. I put my Fuji S5100 in the back of my car trunk during two summer, and it's still working good. Both are made in Japan, I'm sure the PZ is reliable too.

Stabilizer or not stabilizer you can get around by praticing holding the camera steady, it takes times, keep shooting at full zoom for about 100 shots, you'll notice some improvement after that. You have a steady hand you can shoot handhold any camera and feel less need to a stabilizer. On the technical side, you can increase the ISO a bit to shoot at higher shutter speed, but I don't like that idea because it can increase noise is what you're worried about, besides, in real life shooting sessions you don't have time to switch or set the camera often, the model/subject will get tired of holding the pose too long for you.

The secret of Fuji cameras is you can send your pictures to a one hour photo labs that use commercial printing machine for big enlargements easy, other camera mamufacturers the operator has to balance the color a little harder.

In low light situation, I try to avoid as much as I can because I can use an external flash which I can set a high or low flash output to suit me and both cameras can use external flash.

Five-ten years from now I don't know if I can find the batteries for the FZ30 but I'm sure I can still find the AAs easily, therefore I can use my S9000 as a backup or to travel light and leave the DSLR home.

coldshot.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:54 PM   #3

you can add another difference

high iso is better than i.s.when shooting moving subjects
nafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 4:55 PM   #4
AWT

I thought the Panasonichad beensavaged for noise as low as ISO200 in reviews. As Coldshot says, you can go a long way just by improving camera handling, but noise kills detail. As long asmy 9500 (when it arrives:sad isn't noisier than the 7000 then I'll be over the moon..
AWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:28 AM   #5

I've read that the FZ30 Leica lens elements are glass and the Fuji elements are plastic. Can anyone confirm?
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:43 AM   #6

Whats the worry if they are made of glass or plastic. Spectacle wearers such as my self have been wearing plastic lensed specacles for years and if the makers can manage to correct my very poor eyes with plastic I'm sure that a camera lens is no problem. Glass v Plastic lenses is a bit of a blind alley IMHO
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 4:23 AM   #7

Ishot test pics with both cameras a few days ago and was amazed by the difference in image quality. There is NO comparison in my opinion. Friday night I compared a DSLR (D60 fitted with a 17-40 L lens), still no comparison. The FZ30 just blows the others away, especially when price, handling AND image qualityare allconsidered. As for low light shots check this link: http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle...e/sunwrae.html
Attached Images

razzledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 5:00 AM   #8

You just bought a FZ-30? Do you still have in hands the Fuji S9000 to take shots to compare with? That would be interesting. Thanks for your pics.

Artistic pictures indeed, but blurred most definitely. It would be interesting to see if the S9000 would cope better in low light.
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:06 AM   #9
AWT

Andy_Lee wrote:
Quote:
Whats the worry if they are made of glass or plastic. Spectacle wearers such as my self have been wearing plastic lensed specacles for years and if the makers can manage to correct my very poor eyes with plastic I'm sure that a camera lens is no problem. Glass v Plastic lenses is a bit of a blind alley IMHO
With materials technology as advanced as it is, I wouldn't be suprised if there are hard plastics that have better optical properties than glass*, and if they're cheaper then all the better for the consumer!

*I'm not an expert:roll:
AWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:40 PM   #10

razzledog wrote:
Quote:

Ishot test pics with both cameras a few days ago and was amazed by the difference in image quality

thanks for posting the fz30 shots, I haveto say I am disapointed and not that I think it's a bad camera; I believe for outdoor shooting it can bea herobut as I expectedthe shots are blurry(moving subjects)and definetly rules out the fz30 for me because this is the kind of photografy I like to do

I can now makesimilar shots using my kodak dx6490 with a monopod; they are blurry (moving subjects) and only with the luck everyone stands still the shot is ok

I'd love to see shots in those conditions taken using the s9500 or s5600 because high iso should keep the shutterspeed up , i just want to know how high will the noise level reach and how cleanable would it be using progs like neatimage

I also wonder what the effect would be shooting high iso in 5mp setting for noise level

I asked for samples on a my topic but no posts so far

forgive my bad english if you find some spelling faults

nafta is offline   Reply With Quote