Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 10, 2005, 7:06 AM   #1

Please ignore this thread's title. new info received.
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2005, 7:27 AM   #2

Solution, use an external flash.

Big disappointment here, but I am serious that if you need the ability to follow people in a flash situation, an inexpensive non-dedicated flash with a reliable automatic mode will solve the problem. I use a Vivitar 2000 when I travel light and a 285 when I want to light a room.

Sorry to hear about that Nicholas, I realize how much you were hoping that this camera would solve your particular photographic problems. What about the Sony R-1, does it look like a better choice (given the limited zoom range)?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 7:35 AM   #3

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Solution, use an external flash.

Big disappointment here, but I am serious that if you need the ability to follow people in a flash situation, an inexpensive non-dedicated flash with a reliable automatic mode will solve the problem. I use a Vivitar 2000 when I travel light and a 285 when I want to light a room.

Sorry to hear about that Nicholas, I realize how much you were hoping that this camera would solve your particular photographic problems. What about the Sony R-1, does it look like a better choice (given the limited zoom range)?

Ira
Errr what does that mean? Use an external flash solves the problem? I never really count on the internal flash for good light anyways. One has to buy an external flash. Otherwise I would have to pay a lot less for a Pana FZ5.

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 12:03 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 8:59 AM   #4

I would actually prefer that to the S7000's habit of taking a useless photo between flashes. It just pisses me off when i think I got the perfect photo in the heat of the moment and I didnt wait long enough for the flash to recharge. At least I will know that I am not getting the shot and will get used to it and the recharge time. That is when I am not using an external flash. I probably should step up to dSLR, but if you think normal photography is dirty for sensors, try the paintball world, or over here in Iraq, and I would rather not have to fumble around with the multiple lenses. I think I was starting to hit the limits of the prosumer's speed (before I came back over to the desert) shooting action sports . . . I am still going to try the S9000 before I decide to make the jump to dSLR though. I have been very happy with the results of my S7000 (aside from the zoom) and now that it is sold I am looking forward to the S9000.
djgiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:00 AM   #5

musicarvind wrote:
Quote:
Please tell me that its not a bad camera!
OK, it's not a bad camera. Happy?

nymano
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 4:43 PM   #6

arvind

Relax, we are talking about one flaw, it will mean alot to anyone who uses the internal flash extensively but to others who either prefer available light or use a bigger external flash anyway it will be no issue. In the thread http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...371163#p371163 you will find posts by Carlton who has an S9X00 and loves it, he has shot two weddings in the past two days and is quite impressed with the results.

You have to decide which camera is best for you but I still think the S9X00 is a valid choice which will offer better overall picture quality than the lower resolution, noisier, less flexible Panasonic FZ5.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:16 PM   #7

I am getting the S9000.

Thanks Ira & All, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:43 PM   #8

The hidden beauty of Fujifilm cameras.

I am using the S5100 extensively for about a year, here are the good points of Fuji cameras.

1/ Environmental reliable, I put the camera in the back trunk of my car during two summer in CA where the inside temp reached over 100F and one winter at below 40F, it just works fine.

2/ AA batteries are easy to replace or add some extra sets.

3/Professional enlargements to over 11X14 at One Hour Photo labs where they use Fuji processing machine. I have a friend who own a One Hour Photo lab, I have a chance to sit with him behind the Fuji machine for over ten years, he showed me what the machine can print using my favorite shots.

Now, I'm waiting a chance to test drive the S9000, here are the advantage of the S9000: external flash capable, 9MP, manually focus lens like an old manual 35mm SLR lens.

I always need external flash for fill outdoor and bounce to the ceiling for indoor shots.

I'd like to add to other posts here about the external flash. I have two Vivitar 283 and one 285, they are made to be handledrough on the field. Extremely reliable. However I'd like to point out that the Vivitar flashes can not swivel sideway, only up and down. When I shoot outdoor I use the Vivitars for high auto flash up to f11. Indoor I love the Sunpak, It can turn anyway you want especially for portrait shots that I need to turn the camera vertical, at that position the Sunpak will be turned upward easy.

When you own the S9000, you are beyond basic photography, you know how to do fill flash techniques, you need to have the external flash for far distance reach on the S9000. I put lithium AA bateries in the flash so it feels less heavy and less stress on the camera hotshoe.

I saw the Panasonic FZ30 at Fry's today, it's very impressive, but I still waiting for the S9000 because my S5100 suits my abusive camera handling style. I don't own a Panasonic, don't know how far it works in extreme weather conditions and how it can produce enlargements using Fuji commercial printing machines.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:53 PM   #9

nymano wrote:
Quote:
musicarvind wrote:
Quote:
Please tell me that its not a bad camera!
OK, it's not a bad camera. Happy?

nymano
Nymano,

thank u !! .. .. very happy...

Ira,

Yeah .. I did have a look and feel of the camera and its so awesomely made!.

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 12:03 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:23 PM   #10

Sorry for digging up old threads, but I'd like to know if anyhow has a similar problem. I too have the image blanking on the LCD screen, but the problem is, mine STAYS blanked. I have to cycle to the EVF and back, or turn off/on the camera to get it back. I've emailed Fuji to see if its a known problem...

Thanks for the info, if there's any to be had
C_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote