Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:24 PM   #21
AAT

swgod98 wrote:
Code:
Oh, and here's my unimpressive amature moon shot 
(dedicated to Ken): http://danshobbyshack.com/temp/moon_sm.jpg
very nice shot, is this one also taken with the s9000, hand held ??

Thanks for sharing.

AAT
AAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 4:05 PM   #22

No, sorry. No details cause I was providing it as more of a joke I used my S2. ISO200. It wasn't that great actually IMO (noisier than I'd like), but after making it a bit smaller and messing with levels, it looked better. Still, the full res lacks details. But, I took the pictures on a tripod (with IS on, oops).

Being the amature that I am, I'll probably take another picture when it's clear
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:44 PM   #23

Thought I'd jump on the rocketship as well, and share a low-res version of a photo I put together after the spectacular eclipse of 2004 (October I think it was)... Ran outside in the cold, about every half hour with my mini tripod on the deck in the backyard with my admitedly CRAPPY Fujifilm 3800 and managed to piece this together... Looks quite nice if I do say so myself.. I submitted it to the NASA page that hosted eclipse pictures after the event, but it wasnt selected for posting... too many entries I think. (Mine looked better than a lot of the entries.. but I'm not bitter.. honest! )
Attached Images

C_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:32 PM   #24

swgod98,

I laugh so hard at your moon shot, my stomach hurts so bad. It's beautiful shot.

You know why I laughed? Because Canon has introduced some new camera SD5 or something I don't remember, that camera is for ASTROLOGYCA, I just can't pronounce this word. Why should I buy that thousands of dollars to shoot the moon like you, instead the S9500 could do the job beautifully, unless I am crazy.

Secondly, you are in the right direction for coming to the photo forum like this to learn the trick of the trade. When I started photography, at those good old days we didn't have the internet superhyway like today. I've learn it the hard way, I took out my rusty 35mm camera I bought at the swapmeet and disassembled it to see what's inside, what make this gear rolling, that button goes where... and oh boy, when I put it back together, I left some screws on the table, for sure the camera didn't click, it ended up in the trash can. Then it became my bad habit, I did that to two more cameras later on and as usual I left some extra crews on the table again, that's it no more nosy habit.:-)

CS.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:26 AM   #25

As for moon shots something I learned when I tried with my Oly 770.

1) AF. If you are in a hurry or don't have a MF - switch to landscape! Ofc this means high aperture values like f=8 or so but on a clear evening/night you come to aexposure between 5-20 seconds with ISO around 100.

2) Settings. Whats the problem to get the right settings? The atmosphere. The longer you take the shot the more likely it is that you get a blurring effect from the atmosphere. You know why they build all the telescopes on mountains... and yes - when using very long zoom you can see the moon blurring in the EVF. So you want to get a fair amount of light (long exposure) but you want to reduce the blurring (short exposure). First thing I did was a series of moon pics with very low ISO (to reduce noise) and long exposure - but I was unable to get a clear, sharp picture to my great dismay. So experiment with that.

3) Underexpose. If you do the optimal aperture/exposure combo you may end with less detail if the moon is very bright - and that is usually the case when you try for a shot so be sure to add some shots with like -.5 -1 -1.5 -2 -2.5 -3 or so underexposed, this CAN reduce the "halo" effect too.

4) noise reduction. Use your in-camera reduction AND take some shots without. Sometimes the software on your PC does a better job.

5) use the timer. With this you don't come even close to the cam when it takes the shot so chances are even better to get a sharp result.

6) set contrast low. Same as for cloud pics set in-camera settings for low contrast and sharpen a bit (I usually do contrast -5 and sharpening +2 as default). You may get more details with that.

I hope this is of some use. Hope to see some more nice shots here. Good luck!

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:54 PM   #26

10xoptical + digital zoom, F=3.7, 1/200s, ISO64, MF = infinity, handheld Oly C770 UZ

Not the sharpest image on earth, but considerĂ*ng it was handheld and with digital zoom I like it Shows a lot of detail, too.

And now time to get some sleep. Good night!
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:54 PM   #27

s7000 / manual focus (center mag) / f8 / 1/100s / iso 200 / Olympus 1.7x T-Con / Slik Able 300x tripod / white balance=sunlight (doh) / self timer (2 sec) / RAW mode / post processing with PSE 3.0 / printable 12x12 at 240 ppi

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:23 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:02 PM   #28

John,

Now that's what I call a good moon shot!

The rest of you... Keep practicing.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 5:30 AM   #29

CCWKen wrote:
Quote:
John,

Now that's what I call a good moon shot!

The rest of you... Keep practicing.

Why notjoin the practising grounds bud and show us YOUR moon pics? :|