Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:12 AM   #1

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:29 AM   #2

Oh my goodness! That's so cool! I'm studying astronomy right now with my dd, and that would be so much fun to do together! Now if only I could decide which camera... Thinking the S9000, if it would hurry up and get out here in the US.

Elizabeth
MyOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 6:31 PM   #3

jphess wrote:
Quote:
I don't know, maybe I'm becoming a little too tolerant of my own photographic efforts. But I thought this was a pretty good image from my Fuji S5100.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=8

Hi jphess,

Could you enlighten me as to how you took the moon pic, as I would like to give it a try. BTW, great shot!
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:57 PM   #4

Old Sep 15, 2005, 4:20 AM   #5

Thanks jphess, that will be enough for me to give it a try. Too much info would either make it too confusing or too easy that there would be no sense of accomplishment.

Just need a tripod and I am set, oh and a RAW convert that I can use. Oh and learn more about post production. To date I have played around with pics but only vary basic things. eg: unsharpen mask, filter adjustments (warm/cool) and cropping. I look forward to experimenting with layers etc.

But never fear, if I do run into to trouble I will be posing a few more questions.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:35 AM   #6

Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:57 PM   #7

jphess

Just a suggestion, but how about taking a day and planning on getting everything right! What I mean is to get away from the Photoshop dependency by trying to shoot everything with the plan of no post-processing. Shoot jpeg fine, focus carefully, adjust your white balance properly for each change of lighting, adjust your exposures carefully (bracketting is OK), use a tripod where ever possible, and set your camera for the most pleasant sharpness and saturation settings. Take the best images straight from the camera and print them without any further adjustment (besides cropping).

I also find that I am a little caught up with PS, I want to get back to making prints with less adjustment.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:19 PM   #8

Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:19 PM   #9

CP or not, the 5, 7 and 9000 series cameras are a lot to handle. It's nice to have the options but few breaking intophotography (and manyold hands)fully understandwhen orhow to use the options. They tend to rely on hours of post processing to make a good shot. If they're not doing that, they're shooting full auto. I would be willing to bet that more than 80% of most photos are shot in auto or AP. Mostly because the cameras are better.

I've noticed that every 28 days there's a "new" batch of moon shots. I'm not impressed by any of them. It seems every newbie has to have a shot of the moon. They post the pic here and expect a good review. For me to be impressed with a moon shot, the photographer will have more equipment than a tripod and digital camera. Not to deminish the value of your shot but the moon is poorly captured in most pictures I see and need far too much post processing.

If your basing your requirement on size and ease of use, there's better options available than Fuji's EVF's.

Ken
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:53 PM   #10

CCWKen,

Thank you for your carefully thought out and well stated comments. I didn't realize how far out of line I was, and how ill informed I am, and how inappropriate my comments have been. I have removed my comments and the pictures, and will not trouble you or any of the other contributors anymore.

Best regards,
Jim