Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 17, 2005, 5:21 AM   #11

Hi Sarah-------Just done a test shot (400iso)of the view from my window. The results have passed all my expectations. I printed an A4 print on my canon ip 5000 results superb.
carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 8:40 AM   #12

Carlton-

As I shared with you several posts ago, I have worked with and around men for 30+ years. So there is no need to temper your prose. I am delighted to hear what a grand time you are having with your S-9500. I have my order placed and all I have to do now is to be patient and wait for a good long while, till the end of October or even mid November. Good things are worth waiting for, the saying goes.

Have a wonderful trip to Australia and New Zealand. We really do want to hear from you from time to time. Perhaps the Swedish model has friends in Australia, have you inquired?

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:02 AM   #13

Hi Sarah I do believe my wifr, Judy, will keep me to heel. Incidently the Swedish beauty next door is age 88. My eyesight was always suspect.
carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:08 AM   #14

Oh man... when does that F****ng camera arrive here in the low lands :sad: sigh....
I hate waiting so long....

As I'm able to post images online, I'll shoot some nice stuff and post the links here... if the darn thing arrives coming week... i hope....

My colleague bought a Nikon D50 yesterday, and another colleague who's job is being a medical photographer for the hospital where I work was interested in the S9500! So I'd love to test it out and show the camera to him.

Also friends of mine just became parents 6 days ago, and I promised to make some nice pix of their baby. Come on FUJI, where is that stock from Japan?!? grrrr.....
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:24 AM   #15

I am in a quandry (as usual)

Proton:

I was talking to someone from Henry's Camera in Toronto Canada just a couple of days ago, and they awaiting the arrival of the S9000 to replace the S7000 in their Dental package. Apparently because of its macro capability and the generic hot shoe that allowed the use of a third party ring light, the S7000 was part of a kit they assembled especially for dentists. Now that the S7000 is no longer available they already have plans for packaging the S9000 in this kit (he said they already had an early example for testing to see if it met the criteria). This is not their only dental package but it was one of their most popular ones.

Everyone:

Personally I am still up in the air on this, a Pentax *istDS2 body costs just $50Cdn more than the S9000, and I already have a very complete set of lenses (mostly manual focus but that is not a real hardship). I know that Carlton found the Canon 300D to be more trouble than it was worth but the Pentax is better built than the original Canon Digital Rebel, it has a far superior viewfinder and I would probably do most of my shooting with the 28-70mm lens anyway (42mm - 105mm with 1.5 sensor size factor). Believe me this is a tough choice, the Pentax offers flexibility, the larger sensor size, and a home for my (now dormant) lenses, the Fuji offers the advantages of the all-in-one design with an excellent zoom lens, the ability to use the articulated LCD as a viewfinder and the video mode for those occasional clips. This is not an easy choice, if I get either camera I will be keeping my S7000 as a backup and for travelling light, both of these cameras use AA sized batteries but the Pentax uses SD cards so a couple of new cards will be required (not a big issue since I have very seldom moved cards from camera to camera). The Pentax offers some performance advantages (especially in RAW capture), the Fuji offers the freedom from the camera bag. With the Pentax and my existing lenses I can cover the 35mm equivalent of 42mm to 750mm, the Fuji runs 28mm to 300mm one gives me telephoto the other wide angle. I have some excellent prime lenses for the Pentax, a 28mm (42mm) f2.8, a 50mm (75mm) f1.7, and a 135mm (202mm) f2.8, great for low light and controlling depth of field (especially the 50mm as a portrait lens). In terms of size and weight the Pentax is not much larger than the S9000. The more I type the more uncertain I get.

There is just no hope for me....

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 1:14 PM   #16

Ira-

I guess you might say that I, perhaps, am in the Reverse Quandry. I say that because I am coming from dSLR's (including a Pentax 1stDS) and moving to the S-9000.

For me at least, it will be a freedom from changing lenses and reducing the size of my kit, while retaining the quality. I am looking forward to the change over.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 2:10 PM   #17

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah......

What are you doing to me:?. I am really in a fog here. I will not be purchasing for a few months yet but I still want to have my target clear long before that. So you are going from a *istDS to an S9000!!! You and Carlton are complicating my life. I see so many advantages of both of these cameras. Other than the lens changing was there anything else you didn't like about the Pentax? Sigma has a very nice 18-200mm lens that Popular Photography were quite impressed with that is available to fit the Pentax, is there a reason you would still choose the Fuji? If the price difference were greater I would have no problem deciding but $50!!!

I still think that on-paper the S9000 is the best EVF camera out there for the overall package, I just hate to let all those great Pentax lenses go to waste.

Ira

Old Sep 17, 2005, 3:08 PM   #18

I want to get my hands on one asap, but in another topic a fellow dutcman said he got 1 today, but only 200 were delivered to my country.... :sad:
So I mailed the shop again, hoping for good news.
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 4:03 PM   #19

Ira's quandary explains why novices like me are always starting threads like, "Which camera should I buy?"...many responders, who are very kind to respond, say things like, "Go with what YOU like" or "Buy what serves YOUR needs"...

Those comments, while true on their face, sometimes are meaningless to those of us new to digital photography, when we do not really know what features we need...

And, if after 50 years in photo, if someone like Ira can't make up his mind because his needs may be served by either a istDS2 or an S9000, and he knows exactly what he needs, think of how us newbies are trying to decide which camera to buy...

Add to that speaklightly, who teaches dSLRs, has about 1000 of them (OK, exaggeration, but not by much...:-)), knows them inside out, and yet is thinking of an S9000 because it may replace her Pentax and others...

What has changed, literally in the last 60 days, is that all-in-one cameras are now being released that come close to approaching the features of the dSLR without the weight and the multiple lenses/camera bag...Sony R1 with its larger sensor suddenly makes us think that digicam technology is advancing, Samsung with its 15X zoom, Fuji with its zero start-up and zero shutter lag means that dSLRs will soon no longer be the exclusive domain of these features...

It almost seems that dSLRs were the ideal because they were miles ahead of previous digicams, but, since August, we are being exposed (no pun) to the fact that digicams may soon equal dSLRs, except in few circumstances, making dSLRs mo longer what everybody needs to "work up to"...

Reading some other posts in other areas, I almost detect dSLR folks whining like children that they may lose their exclusivity if digicams advance any further...but maybe I am just a cynic who doesn't know a digital camera from a Kodak Brownie...

My comments are certainly subject to correction...And the beat goes on...:?
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 4:35 PM   #20

Bob

You are right, about a year and a half ago some writers were seeing cameras like the Sony F-828 as replacing the dSLR, then as more low cost DSLRs hit the market they claimed that the prosumer digicam was dead, now it swings the other way again.

I originally bought the S7000 because I could not afford a dSLR at the time. Since I have been using digital cameras I have won a contest and shot the best wedding pictures I have ever done. All with the S7000 and a modest little Pentax Optio 33L. Now I am getting close to affording the dSLR I wanted (prices are down and I have made a little money from my pictures), but the S9000 is so good that I am now wondering if I really need the dSLR at all. Here are a few more points:

1- dSLRs can produce very bad pictures if handled incorrectly (noise is a fact of life whenever exposure is not correct even with the large sensor)

2- except for the startup speed and the EVFI find no problems with the focus speed or shutter lag of the S7000, and a little practice has solved the EVF lag issue, keep both eyes open.

3- If I buy the dSLR body I will not have a lens wider than a 42mm equivalent, that is worse than the S7000, if I buy the kit with lens it will cost $100 more.

4- I would like to have more control over depth of field, but Photoshop masks allow me to realistically blur the background with my S7000 shots so that is not really a big issue anymore. (and as Mike Johnston pointed out in one of his columns, you can blur a sharp image but you cannot fix focus if it is not correct)

5- I still like the prospect of an all-in-one camera, I have really enjoyed my S7000.

6- dSLR viewfinders range from peepholes (Rebel 300D) to very good (Pentax *istDS) but only the pro models reach the levels of a film SLR. They are all better than an EVF however, this is still the biggest weakness of cameras like the S9000.

7- the Fuji S7000 and S9000 offer more macro capability than a dSLR with a "macro" zoom, and real macro lenses are expensive.

8- the S9000 has higher resolution then any entry level dSLR.

I think I just talked myself back into the Fuji fold, the S9000 does look like more camera than I will ever need.

Thanks Bob

Ira