Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 18, 2005, 7:17 PM   #31

It is time for a base question from a novice, so bear with my ignorance...I am quoting from above: "If I use jpeg, on brilliant sunny days, I underexpose by half a stop. This keeps the highlights under my control. It's much easier, and faster, in PSCS raw"

What does it mean to "underexpose by half a stop?"

Thanks for educating one of the stupid and the ignorant masses.

Bob
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 8:59 PM   #32

Bob-

That refers to using the Exposure Compensation feature. You just reduce the calculated exposure by .5 EV or 1/2 a stop.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:46 PM   #33

Proton

Good example, at longer focal lengths you can get decent separation with the S9000, and my S7000 for that matter.

I am still trying to rationalize my choices. The dSLR route is again off the list (I took the bag of Pentax gear out of the closet this weekend, even shot a roll of film, then as I lifted it back to the closet I picked up the S7000's bag to move it out of the way, it was then that all of the good features of an EVF came to me clearly. I stood there holding about 20 pounds of gear in one hand and about 4 pounds in the other, suddenly my back became more important than my camera.).

I like the all-in-one format, it suits my new photographic style, I could get a dSLR and a Sigma 18 to 200mm lens but it would still weigh more than an EVF camera and still be more prone to sensor dust. The S9000 is again at the top of my list but the Sony R1 is worth a look (if the pricing is a little lower that is.)

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 6:47 AM   #34

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
The S9000 is again at the top of my list but the Sony R1 is worth a look (if the pricing is a little lower that is.)
I'm exactly there, inbetween the two, currently leaning more towards the R-1 (tele shooting isn't my beer).

But should I really buy a camera now? Can these prophecys about digicam revolutions within the next 2 years be ignored? Grumble, grumble....

nymano.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:23 AM   #35

nymano

I think there must be something to all this buzz. Fuji, Panasonic, Sony and even Kodak have some new cameras which have taken big strides forward in handling and made at least some improvements in image quality, and none of them are dSLRs. Things seem to be heating up in the high end EVF digicam market. The Sony is the most significant because it represents a very new concept, the large sensor digicam, and Sony seems to be gearing up to produce lots of these chips so expectt to see these APS sized chips in cameras from most of the major players.

I am glad that I have no need for a camera immediately, my S7000 is quite adequate, so I can sit back and watch the show until I see what I really want. The S9000 and the R1 represent very different answers to the same question but, to me at least, they are the two to watch at this point in time, in six months.....who knows?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:30 AM   #36

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I am glad that I have no need for a camera immediately, my S7000 is quite adequate, so I can sit back and watch the show until I see what I really want
I envy you there. As I've mentioned once, we're getting a kid in February - that's my deadline!

nymano.

Edit: The "deadline" is for buying a camera, of course! Hope my wife doesn't read this...
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 12:06 PM   #37

nymano-

Well your February date coincides with PhotoKina, perhaps there is hope. I read that Sony wants to introduce the R-1 in November so they can take advantage of the so called "Christmas Market." That will duplicate the scenario used in the intro forSony's F-828. They had that camera out before the PhotoKina, and all the other manufacturers did their introductions at PhotoKina. I think we weill see something just like that this time.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 19, 2005, 4:39 PM   #38

Hi Ira.

Surely the telling argument for the 9500 is your comment that since switching to an all in one digicam you have taken your best ever (wedding) photos. I'm in the same boat - since purchasing a Minolta Dimage 7 nearly 4 years ago my SLR kit hasn't been out of its bag and I too have done my best photographic work and keep being asked to do more, especially weddings. The convenience of not having to change lenses is a HUGE plus for me (as is the control over my prints, but thats not your issue) . I've got the upgrade itch and thought of a DSLR because 'that was the next step up' but cameras like the s9500 are demanding I rethink and seem to provide the quality, zoom rangeand handling that I need. I just don't want to go back to carting around loads of gear, having used an 'all in one' for so long now. I can't really afford to purchase until Xmas BUT I've been asked to do a wedding in Nov and would dearly love to use a 9500, so...looks like the credit card is going for some exercise!

Hi Proton.

Get yourself on a ferry (or lowcost flight). We have the s9500 over here in the UK!
wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:20 PM   #39

Woot! I just got my shipping confirmation on my S9000. Should get here XpressPost in a couple days. I can't wait to get my hands on it, to start trying all kinds of things: Panoramas, QTVR, and some decent quality indoor, no-flash shots!!

Oh, and it all happens about 2 days before my birthday! Just in time to get all stocked up on extras: Bigger XD card, case, batteries... muhahaha...

<evil emporer voice>
Everything is proceeding as I have forseen.. *laughs maniacaly*
</evil emporer voice>

Excuse me while I go camp out by my mailbox....
C_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:14 PM   #40

I have finally made my decision. I am going to cancel my S-9000 order and wait for the Sony R-1. I am a high ISO photographer, and I want to get rid of the heavyness and bulk of the dSLR kit, so that is the way to go.

That, of course does not mean that the Fuji S-9000 is a bad digital camera. It is not. It just means that I want to be able to use ISO 3200, which the Sony R-1 offers me.

Personally, I believe that for those folks who want to lighten their kit weight and bulk-wise, that the Sony R-1 is the way to go.

Sony has an opportunity to take a real leadership role with the new R-1. Will they do it? I am honestly not sure. But I want to be in there with the first R-1 in my hand, taking those great digital photos.

Sarah Joyce