Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:53 PM   #41

Well, choices have been made, and we will all be the beneficiaries...Ira wants the S9000 and Sarah wants the R1...as much as I respect the reviews of Steve and others, and I do still look forward to them, I REALLY want the comparative reviews from Sarah and Ira on their choices...

While they may not be real comparo with each other, they will know the strengths and weaknesses of each model and enable us to make better choices when we make our comparisons...

What I especially want to know is if either one regrets buying their respective model and eventually wishes that they bought "the other one."

Please keep us posted, as I know you will...

Maybe the site should be renamed "Sarah's & Ira's Digicams.com"...:-):-):-)

Bob
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:55 PM   #42

C-doc...is that an S9000 in your avatar, or some other model???
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:11 PM   #43

Whoa ther Bob,

I still haven't made a purchase, and I am not likely to until I can get more samples from each camera that are comparable, so here is where I stanD right now. The Panasonic isn't on the list, the S9000 offers AA battery support, a familiar control layout (many buttons are just as they are on the S7000), the ability to shoot the ocasional video clip, a longer telephoto range, a generic hot shoe (and pc terminal),and a more affordable price, BUT... it achieves its high ISO through processing images from the much smaller 1/1.6" sensor. The Sony offers a more flexible LCD system, higher resolution and potentially higher image quality, BUT... it has no video mode and uses a proprietary battery. Both use CF cards so that is not an issue (I will not purchase xD or Memory stick media anyway).

This is a very difficult choice, I believe now that either camera is better for me than a dSLR, but I have yet to decide between them. Despite my prejudice against other Sony products I will be first to admit that their digital cameras are usually the highest build quality in their respective markets, and the image quality is at least competitive, so I won't rule them out yet.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:55 PM   #44

Ira, don't worry, I am not spending your money...:-):-)...just following along with the threads as they are, it may end up that way...I am certainly not prejudging you or your purchase, but reading your own posts, assuming you really do buy anything at all (hey, you may just stick with your S7000 for another year, waiting for the Fuji S11000...), I am guessing you get the S9000...

With Sarah virtually committed to the R1 (until she scolds me, that is......), I still look forward to each of your reviews of WHATEVER you buy, as theopinions and criticisms and accoladeswill be thoughtful, useful and insightful...

That is really all I meant by my playful post...:lol::-):lol:

Bob
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:04 PM   #45

marsha7,

I'll tell you why Ira picked the Fuji S9000.

Ira, he is a wedding photographer, he takes alot of beating out there to do his job. You understand this if you are one of them. At the wedding, you are constantly under pressure to produce beautiful pictures for the couple, if things go well, but sometimes it's not what you expect, you have to deal with the nasty video guy if he's not cooperative, and not to mention the point and shoot crowd who get in his way too, he has to suppress all those obstacles to do deliver the pictures. His current camera is the Fuji S7000 with a short zoom range it's adequate for the job, all he needs is the hot shoe of the S7000 to use flash of his choice.

Now, Fuji launched the S9000 with all the goodies install for him to do battle out there, you bet, the S9000 is carefully design as the most beautiful camera physically and practically in that category. You and I ain't seen the capabilities of that camera yet. In the hand of a casual photographer you don't see much action, but if it' s landed on a competent photographer, it'll become a fast and furious machine. He will need that camera to suppress those videographer who give him a hard time, if hearms this S9000 with cruise missile with four lithium AA warhead, it'll be lethal, he can harass any photographers or videogrphers right there on the spot. A 10.7X zoom with 9MP is deadly. The lens size of the S9000 is 58mm perfect forbacklight, he'll use it forthe knock out shots.

Look at he skin tone of the model in this post, the color is dead-on. It answered one of my questions about the S9000.

CS.

CS.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:29 AM   #46

C_Doc wrote:
Quote:
Woot! I just got my shipping confirmation on my S9000. Should get here XpressPost in a couple days. I can't wait to get my hands on it, to start trying all kinds of things: Panoramas, QTVR, and some decent quality indoor, no-flash shots!!

Oh, and it all happens about 2 days before my birthday! Just in time to get all stocked up on extras: Bigger XD card, case, batteries... muhahaha...

<evil emporer voice>
Everything is proceeding as I have forseen.. *laughs maniacaly*
</evil emporer voice>

Excuse me while I go camp out by my mailbox....
By the time I'll get my camera (hopefully), it'll be my birthday too... (8th october).

Though I'll be in england from coming friday till monday, I'd rather buy my camera in a shop in my region so that I can go back if any problems occurs. The Dutchman that bought his camera in Amsterdam has some dead pixels in his lcd-screen I read, so it would be quite a problem if I'd be back in the Netherlands with an Englisch camera and such a problem would occur!

Yesterday I phoned another shop. The next batch of camera's for Holland will arrive arround 2nd october... another 2 weeks sigh... and you'll see... by the time I'm getting it, the weather will be sh*t, while now it's sunny and fab weather.... :sad:

<evil emporer voice>
Everything is NOT proceeding as I have forseen.. *cries sadly*
</evil emporer voice>

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 3:14 PM   #47

I still think a lot of us are basing our excitement for the 9000/9500 on all of the pre-release hype from Fuji. After all, look at the length of some of the threads on this forum about the camera. And nobody in the U.S. (as far as I can tell) has one yet. You cannot judge the quality of an image based on what you see on your computer screen. I'm hoping someone sets me straight on this. I was reading an article yesterday that was illustrating the very significant difference in the size of the CCD in an SLR camera as opposed to other digital cameras including these new generation all-in-1 cameras that are coming on the market. The sensor in the the dSLRs is so much bigger that even at the lower (compared to the 9000/9500) 6 MP resolution threshold I can't help but think they will turn out a higher quality image. It's the same old adage (in my opinion) as medium format film producing a better image than 35mm. I'm still waiting to be convinced one way or the other. But let me say that I have certainly been impressed with the images from my son-in-law's Nikon D70.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:08 PM   #48

jphess

You are right about the small sensor of the S9000 however improvements in sensors and their processor chips have made big steps forward. The larger chips are still inherently cleaner however because of the much larger photosites (pixels). You should look at the Sony R1 as well, it has an APS sized imagerjust likemost dSLRs and benefits from the same technology as used in the Nikon D2X (which uses a similar Sony chip from the same technological family). This is a sensor worthy of a pro dSLR and if you can do without video clips and long focal lengths it is worth a look.The performance is not yet to dSLR levels as you can see here http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscr1/page10.asp it does not handle high ISO noise nearly as well as the Canon 20D, but it is still worthy of inspection.

The full sized images from the S9000 which I have downloaded (full resolution jpegs, not just screen images) are quite good, some are outstanding. They show a camera which is well beyond the existing small sensor cameras, but probably not to the level of a larger sensor in terms of noise levels. Meanwhile I will point out that all digital cameras will produce noise if the exposures are not correct. The S9000s images are pleasant and the camera's handling has drawn raves from early owners, but it is not a perfect camera. Having said that I easily concede to the fact that a Nikon S70 will produce better images, with a good quality lens, but we all recognize the image quality advantages of most dSLRs, it is the convenience of the all-in-one format with image quality approaching dSLR levels that we are most impressed with.

And like I said, if the Fuji doesn't do it for you you now have two choices, a dSLR or a Sony R1. Personally I still have the S9000 slightly in the lead for its overall capabilities.

Ira

Old Sep 20, 2005, 5:44 PM   #49

marsha7 wrote:
Quote:
C-doc...is that an S9000 in your avatar, or some other model???
I believe its the S9500 (european version) or so I gather from the full size filename I found online...

When I get the real thing, I'll replace my avatar with one like the others on this site: The "I'm hiding behind my camera" kind :G
C_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:31 PM   #50

C_Doc wrote:
Quote:
When I get the real thing, I'll replace my avatar with one like the others on this site: The "I'm hiding behind my camera" kind :G
Hey, I admit the image was not an original idea but I have used three variations of this image over the years. The idea came from a classic shot (I forget the photographer) of a photographer holding a classic leica with an external viewfinder, he was holding the camera in portrait position so that the viewfinder corresponded to one eye and the camera lens the other. Anyone remember who did the shot?

Ira