Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:15 PM   #51

Technically, the Sony R-1 is good, but with a short zoom range won't do any good for sport events, graduation ceremony, a trip to the zoo...

The Sony R-1 initial cost is around$1,000 not include Sony TTL flash yet.

The Fuji S9000 is $700 and will come down slowly, a 10.7X zoom starting with ISO 80, has a cable release socket for nature/macro shots, can also use for portraits also, a technique to shoot with two cameras at the same time.

S9000 can use any flash available, a used non-dedicated flash from Vivitar or Sunpak cost less than $40 each.

If one can afford the Sony, why not buy DSLR, start build up some lenses and never look back.

Fujisurprise movepositioning itselfsolid right at prosumer level, other manufactures want to get in, need to make cameras with better practical uses and cost the same or less than the S9000.

Fuji S9000's second slot for the CF card is holding up point and shoot photographers moving up to DSLR, at the same time holding up pro photographers moving down looking for a second body.

Bad position for Sony, moves up will hit DSLR, moves down will hit Fujitwo new classsubmarines S9000 and S5200 waiting to engage Sony. Sony should lower the MP to cut cost, cut weigth andextenttheir laucher to at least 10X to survive.

Fuji has prepared theirexisting sub commands with theirproven performance S7000, S5100, S3100...subs during the campaing of Sicily, Normandy, the Red Sea...these battle hardened veteran are now commanding those new classattack subs, Sony should let those old time allied Nikon veteran of the Nikon F4/F4S. D70, D70S take over their R-1 machine to manuver out of the deep sea, or link up with PanaFZ30and rely on their 12X long range laucher to form a defensive barrier, avoidat any cost a torpedo duel with Fuji subs, their torpedos are equiped with four jammed packLithium e2 technology AA batteriesunconventional warheads, devastating, Sony should actfast, they are aggressively closing in.

CS.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 2:01 AM   #52

Hi Sarah,

I was at our local photographic club meeting last night and a contributor from one of our magazines was there with an R1 which he has been given to review for a week or two. I got the chance to play with it for quite a while. It is certainly quite a substantial camera in all respects - I'm not a small person (6'2") but I actually found it quite bulky and a little unwieldy. Don't know whether you've handled one butI found it to bequite heavy -although having said that, I must say the construction is superb, very solid and the quality is very evident. Zoom & focus is very smooth and seems quite precise although the 5x opticalfalls rather short of the 10x I've grown used to with my S5100. Nice LCD arrangement but EVF verygrainy under artificial lightingyet verystark (if that makes any sense). I've now handled the 9000 as well and must say I prefer the latter - but that is purely a personal andVERY unqualified first impression. It just felt to me more like I was handling a video camera(which it isn't)with the R1 - but again please take these observations from whence they come! - just thought you might be interested. For the price and what I'm looking for, I'm staying with the S9000 which hopefully, I should be getting still this week.

Steve
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:15 PM   #53

Another very interesting thread.

Somehow I think I'll continue holding on the my old 6900Z for a while longer.

Somehow I can't help but feel that the price of the S9000 will drop by the summer of 2006, and the first of the incremental upgrades will begin. I'd look for improvements in the S5200 as well.

I'm a big fan of Fuji digital cameras. Even at the lower end of their cameras, the one thing that has always struck me about them is how very well they work in the macro mode.

I'm not sure that I'll ever need a 9MP camera, and the 5200 is probably all that I would require. But I'm betting that both the 9000 and 5200 will have an LCD that will not only flip but swivel as well. Mind you not everyone considers that an important feature, but I certainly do and the commercial success of cameras that compete directly against the 5200 have show it to be considered an important feature to the general buying public.

High speed, an AF illuminator, high ISO, and a flip and twist LCDwill make me jump formy next Fuji digital camera.

I'm staying away from the quagmire of image stabilization since my 6900Z and tripod and experimentation have shown me ways to overcome the blurred picture (well almost anyway).

Forgive if I've rambled a bit too much.
Chuck Tenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:57 PM   #54

My analogy from an earlier post was that the Sony R1 has more in common with a medium format SLR while the Fuji mimics 35mm handling. SteveDak's comments seem to confirm that view, a heavier, somewhat more awkward camera with excellent image quality but limitations in focal length and some performance parameters. I think the R1 is a magnificent picture taker but still below the level of a dSLR in most respects. I would love to own one but the Fuji offers far more of what I am looking for at a lower price, and the image quality is still quite impressive.

BTW the similar arrangement of many controls makes the transition from the S7000 to the S9000 very easy as well, a good point when I am using both cameras together on a shoot. I have been very pleased with the S7000, if you get everything right the images are nearly as good as the entry level dSLRs. I still have the S9000 at the top of my wish list and dSLRs are no longer on the list (at least until some new models start to appear).

I wonder if Olympus will stick their 4/3 Kodak sensors in an all-in-one digicam? Right now the Evolt is probably the lowest priced complete kit out there with two lenses covering 28mm to 300mm in 35mm equivalent for less than the price of an R1.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:43 PM   #55

To Ira, sub command of class S7000

Salute captain, I am coldshot, sub command captain class S5100.

Firstly, you are brave to do weddings with the S7000, unless it's a supplement of your existing 35mm systems. Years ago when me and my partner did weddings, we didn't have digitals yet, so everything is film type. I used Fuji Reala, and my partner used Kodak Portra, we had a conflict right there but at least we offered our customers both world. The wedding business is tough, we had a lot of unexpected things all the time, the most is to deal with the videographer, my job is to hunt him down and use my second camera to kill his video tape by shooting flash non-stop straight to his lens or make noise next to him.My partner passed away three years ago, so I started retire after that. Now my photography is just general purpose activities, friends, family...enjoy the new digital technology we didn't have before.

Lately, I feelthe need to upgrade my S5100 to DSLR, but suddenly Fuji introduced the S9000 to the market with features resemble DSLR, I can't wait to see with my own eyes in the store and work with it's controls, look up close to the lens figure out how to hook up my Mamiya lens shade on it and make my final decision.

I saw somebody posted inanother forum the Sony R1 came out, I looked up in Steve review and went down to Sony forum, they are disappointed at Sony short zoom for such a high price camera, probably Nikon is getting tired of SonyCMOS sensor, Sony just wanted to make anew camera with brand new sensor to impress their wholesale camera makers, they don't care much about their photographer fans. Seriously, after four five years of digital revolution, Sony went back to the drawing board and made a brand new advanced prosumer camera cost a thousand dollars and put in a 5X zoom, it's beyond my imagination.

I've used a lot different types of cameras, I know the S9000 fits most my needs, however with a price tag a little less than $700, I don't expect it a perfect one, but there is no perfect camera anywayno matter how expensive it is.

Hopefully, I will have a chance to command that new attack sub S9000 soon and wish you the same.

CS.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:40 AM   #56

coldshot

I have only ventured one wedding with the S7000, and I did keep the film equipment handy just in case. I only do small weddings for friends and family so I seldom have to deal with the major productions some folks have. There was plenty of time to get some good shots with the S7000.

Ira
Old Sep 24, 2005, 2:29 PM   #57

Temporary insanity, please ignore what this post originally said.

Fuji and Pentax rock
Old Sep 25, 2005, 8:10 AM   #58

Plucked up the courage to post a macro shot I took this morning. I should show my original attempts - to show just how great the improvement is, purely through following this forum &Practice, practice, practice.
Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2005, 11:53 AM   #59
AAT

Code:
Plucked up the courage to post a macro shot I 
took this morning.

nice one of the bee!

Hope this camera (with all the goodies included in the box)makes it to the U.S. one of these days

Thanks for sharing

AAT
AAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:50 PM   #60

AAT wrote:
Quote:
nice one of the bee!

Hope this camera (with all the goodies included in the box)makes it to the U.S. one of these days

Thanks for sharing

AAT

This was taken with my S5500 -there seem to be a lot of conspiracy theories goingaround elsewhere as to the reasons for the repeated delay in the 9000's release in the States (firmware ugrades, etc, ad nauseum). Hard to determine fact from > fiction from > personal agendas. Still, its enough to make one wonder whether it would not be wiser to wait a while for the new camera - just wish there was a decent review out on it.