Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:14 PM   #71

Crystin

Yes I think that may have been a bit of a stretch for the A95. Carlton attests to the start up speed on the S9X00, he says that if you turn it on it is ready by the time you get it up to your face, less than a second is a good result.

Definitely keep the Canon, it is a very good quality camera and should make an ideal, always there, camera (too bad about the slow startup.

I have lots of fun with the movie mode on my S7000, and the S9000 should be even better. This is something I would miss with a dSLR but since I have every intention of keeping my Fuji that is not an issue.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:38 AM   #72

Since the topic refers to EVF, I thought I'd put this topic back "on topic" :-)

I like the EVF on the S9500, though some ppl find it's resolution too low, I myself find it quite suitable. The colors seem a bit more intense on the EVF, but it's quite usable and will save you power so your batteries last longer. I think it's a good addition to a digital camera. Also because you're holding the camara to your head it will reduce the chance of blurring because it will shake less.

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:02 AM   #73

Proton,

You are death on, always use the EVF, even with point and shoots, it gives you the 3D image to compose and correctly adjust your setting before taking pictures.

I read a few of your posts, you handle the S9500 very well, as well as other cameras, your judgements are right on target, the S9500 is not factory made right out of the box pictures for the general public, it needs settingto suiteach individual taste and that's it.

Also, concentrate on Alex-r, a newcomerto this forum, he is good.

CS.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:16 PM   #74

Hi everyone

I'm having a difficulty getting really good close up focus with my S5100 in macro mode - I'm sure it is me doing something wrong since I amstill quite new to the hobby. Advice/ instruction would be very helpful here- I just don't seem to get the same magnification as other posts I've seen from the 5100.How closeshould I reasonably expect to be able to getto the subject with thecamera and stillacquire focus? I'm assuming its +/-10cm per the spec? I've followed the manual pretty closely in terms of macro mode -zoom inin auto focus& then switch to manual focus- but something is definitely still eluding me!!I'd really appreciate some help on this especially from someone experienced with the camera. Still anticipating getting the 9000 soon. Many thanks, Steve
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:05 PM   #75

Steve

I have no experience with the S5100 but there is an important fact that many people do not realize about these EVF cameras. In order to reduce size and cost the lenses on these cameras are not true zooms but instead are what were once called varifocal lenses. They do not maintain focus when you zoom and must refocus at every change in focal length (this may have nothing to do with your problem Steve but it needed to be said). With a true zoom the drill is to zoom in, focus and then zoom out to the focal length you want and take the shot. Try this with your S5100 or S7000, zoom in on an object, focus and then switch to manual focus, take the shot and then zoom out without changing focus and take a secod shot. The second shot will be out of focus. A real Zoom would maintain focus.

So for all you film SLR users out there, do not try to use your EVF camera like your old film camera or you will get lots of out of focus shots.

As for your issue Steve, that probably isn't the problem.

Ira
Old Oct 1, 2005, 4:06 AM   #76

Thanks Ira, as always very informative and what you say is correct IRO the S5100 - as a matter of course I refocus with any zoom adjustment. Penny is slowly beginning to drop with my macro difficulties. Max wide angle "zoom" seems to give thebest close-up options and manual focus seems more user friendly under these conditions. Going into telephoto "zoom" starts making life difficult - whichI think makes sense.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:30 AM   #77

Has anyone checked their S9000 to see if it a real zoom or just a varifocal, All you have to do is zoom in, focus, switch to manual focus, zoom out and take the shot. If it is a true zoom your shot will be in focus, if it is a varifocal it will not. Please note that except for some very old lenses all DSLR "Zoom" lenses are true zooms.

Ira
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:37 AM   #78

I'm going to quite a large firework display on Friday night and would appreciate some advice /instruction on taking photo's of the display especially in terms of ISO & exposure. Will be using my S5500 (still vacilating on the 9500 until I see an authorative review)and tripod. Many thanks to anyone who can help, Steve.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:34 AM   #79

Hi steve,

I took some pictures of fireworks last weekend with my s9500 and tripod, see http://dijkxhoorn2.blogspot.com/and http://www.dijkx.nl/furiade.

If you want the fullsize one just private message me with your email adress

I took the pictures with : ISO 80 F8 and shutterspeed 4 seconds and sometimes longer

dijkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:45 AM   #80

Thanks Djikx, will try this as a starting point - nice photos on the Blog!