Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:30 PM   #81

Forgot to mention focus on manual and infinity
dijkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 12:46 PM   #82

Well guys, with all this buzz over the S9X00 I thought I would post another S7000 shot just to be different. ( I would also like to note that the Fuji S602, 4900 zoom, 6900 zoomand 3800 are actually S**00 cameras as well, since they meet all of the criteria, but Fuji hadn't invented the name for this linewhen they were introduced.)This is a cropped image of vintage boats frommy S7000, with distracting background elements (modern boats) cloned out and then a watercolour filter added to give it a period painting look (I believe I have seen paintings by a French painter in a similar style). Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 12:51 PM   #83

On a completely unrelated note, I ran a half day session for teachers who were interested in digital photography just this past Friday. It was a very satisfying experience. Digital has truly caused a Renaissance in photography with so many people interested in learning more about the hobby. I now regularly see guys who wouldn't have been caught dead with a camera, carrying a little digital compact in a belt case or in their pockets, and asking how to improve their pictures. Very cool!

This experience has also taught me something, my Fuji S7000 is still a state of the art camera in many ways, it will take me a long time to truly outgrow this camera. I borrowed a friend's Pentax *istDS to use as a demonstration of another digital camera type for my half day session, she is letting me hold onto it for a while. It is a marvelous camera and it is clear to me that DSLRs are so much more capable, but here is the strange thing about my experience, I am having more fun with the S7000!!! It is as if the all-in-one form factor is just more fun to play with. I compared photographs of similar subjects and the Pentax images are almost always better, technically, but not that much better. If I take this hobby to the next level and start along the semi-pro road I will want (need?)a DSLR, but for now I finally feel satisfied with the camera I own and will stick with it for a while yet.

I believe that 6MP marks the realistic apex for most of us, higher resolution will allow the occasional monster print and allows us to crop our images more aggressively, but 90% of our photos will never be seen beyond an 8" X 10" print, a size which 6MP covers with ease. Very high resolution also puts additional stress on our home computers, requiring faster processors, more RAM, bigger hard drives and DVD burners to work with, and store, these larger files. With that said I see no need to rush out and buy a new camera based on MP count, and although faster,better handling cameras are always tempting, the S7000 has few bad traits, slow startup,poor low lightautofocus and a difficult manual focus system being my only true complaints.

Here is the original of the lastimage, right out of the camera, the only adjustment was to resize and compress to post on this forum.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote