Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:13 PM   #11

Any pics you can post?

The Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 6:33 AM   #12

Hi norm,

i would particularly like to see the ISO1600 shot.

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 1:10 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:25 PM   #13

For anyone still looking for pix from the S5200/S5600 I have a forum up where I post pix taken with this camera.

http://www.pbase.com/yarnspnr/fuji_s5200_gallery

Feel free to question.
Yarnspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:20 PM   #14

Many thanks, Yarnspinner-

I really appreciate your website and what look like some excellent Fuji S-5200 photo samples.

Ultra
ultrazoom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 4:47 PM   #15

Good pics Yarnspinner!

Did you do any post processing?
bipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:09 PM   #16

When posting photos to PBase I do minimum post processing because I'm paying for space there and posting original tiff files (28 mg each) would quickly fill up my alloted space. Here's what I do for most of my pictures posted to PBase:

1. I transfer the raw files to tiff files using Fuji FinePix Viewer V.

2. I use Adobe Elements 3.0 to reduce the image size to 500 pixels in height. This gives me a good image size for printing out to 8x10. I save both the original tiff and the reduced image tiff files in Elements.

3. I use Unsharp Mask to correct the image sharpness after reduction.

4. I make minor adjustments to contrast, brightness, and shadows/highlights as needed.

5. I then save for the Web, which makes a jpg file of the tiff file, and upload that image to PBase.

I do not use any noise reduction software.

As those of us who had our own darkrooms often said, "Images are created in cameras, but they are made in the darkroom." Post Processing is not a sin. All the great photographers work of the past were enhanced in the darkroom.

The files I get from my Fuji S5200/5600 require very little enhancing though. I've yet to have to change color saturation or adjust levels. It's a remarkable li'l camera.

The 8x10s I print from my PBase photos are sharp, crisp, and retain the excellent detail from the original tiff files.

Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:05 PM   #17

Thanks for the info Yarnspinner.

I'm a true noob with any of this photo stuff (other than just taking simple P&S shots) and I'm trying to learn. The info you've provided will help me improve my pics.

Thanks
bipsy
bipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 5:05 PM   #18

Yarnspinner wrote:
Quote:
2. I use Adobe Elements 3.0 to reduce the image size to 500 pixels in height. This gives me a good image size for printing out to 8x10. I save both the original tiff and the reduced image tiff files in Elements.

500 pixels high, for 8 X10!!!! a good 300dpi 8x10 requires 2400x3000 pixels, a fair quality print at 150dpi is 1200x1500, at 500pixels high that is only 62.5 dpi !!!! Look at your image at actual pixel size on your computer and you are at 72dpi. Beware, this must be a misprint.

If you want 8x10 prints that look good do not downsize below 150dpi or you will start to lose detail to pixelation.

BTW, checked out your posted imagesYarnspinner, they are very nice.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 2:32 AM   #19

Hi Ira. Okay, take image #65 from my S5200 gallery as an example (the dog with the ball). After transfering from raw to tiff and rotating it 90 degrees to the right, I'm left with an image showing 2736 pixals wide by 3628 tall or a document size of 38" x 50.667" with a resolution of 72 pixels per inch.

Using bicubic resampling, I reduce the "height" measurement to 500 pixels, giving me a width of 375 pixels which reduces thedocument size of 5.2" x 6.94" still at a resolution of 72 p/i. The resulting print isn't too bad, for family stuff, really.

The Fuji raw conversion software always transfers to tiff at 72 p/i, and there is no way to adjust that for a higher p/i resolution that I can see, and that sucks. I'm not crazy about that. I'm awaiting Adobe's new camera additions for their raw software, which should take care of the problem and actually allow me to work with the raw files themselves instead of only after transferring them to tiff.

Now, I can increase the resolution to 150 or even 300p/i using Photoshop CS2, which generates a HUGE file, then decrease the doc size to 8x10 proportions. The resulting print certainly looks better doing that.

I'm an old darkroom person, Ira, just getting the feel of things working with digital. The Fuji S5200 is my first digital camera. Using the camera hasn't been all that different as my A-1 has program mode and AP/SP. Using Photoshop CS2 or even Elements 3 for digital darkroom work has been a challenge for me. I understand dodge/burn and other darkroom tricks, butalot of itis just plainGreek. I've been playing with it and I'm getting the hang of some of the tools and what they can do and I understand that what I see on my screen isn't absolute to what I'll see come off my printer. It's been fun. The learning never ends in photography.

Thanks, Ira, for your explaination and your kind words about my photos on the PBase site.

Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:14 AM   #20

Yarnspinner, ignore the 72dpi, just make sure you have 'resample' turned off in the image size dialog box. You will see the effective pixels show up when you input a new size. eg if you type 4 for width and 6 for height (inches)with resample unchecked you should see in excess of 300-400dpi in the box below, plenty for printing. No need to resample when going down in size.
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote