Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:48 PM   #1

Just a heads up that the new S5200/5600 is starting to show up in stock in Canada. Just ordered mine from a major Canadian camera store chain ...although their website still says pre-order, I phoned and they have several in stock. Shipping out to me today...can't wait.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:02 PM   #2

Showed up today in Dixons (UK) at £300
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:18 PM   #3

goomer,

Post some pics with the new camera if you get a chance.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:47 PM   #4

I ordered my S5200 yesterday as well. Had it sent slowboat because I'm not in a hurry. As a long time Canon A-1 user, and after considerable research into the many fine digital cameras on the market, I almost purchased an S5100 but then saw the new version specs. Snapped one up at a decent price for a newly released camera. It's totally against my PA Dutch personality to purchase something without reading a dozen reviews andscrutinizing thousands of sample pics, but what the heck. I'm not getting any younger and the idea of being one of the first to own one of these puppies appealed to a newly discovered sense of adventure. Besides, Fuji makes dang good products and I trust them.
Yarnspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 6:13 PM   #5

Between heavy showers, I managed to get a range of outdoor shots on the S5600. I print my photo's to 5' x 7' so I took about 30 pictures to a high street lab and got them developed. Overall, I got nice prints with plenty of detail and natural colours.

This is a list of things I noticed.

I have set the camera to ‘sharp' but on AUTO and ANTI-BLUR, it defaults back to normal sharpness.

The camera does NOT race up to a high ISO in the way that the Fuji F10 camera does, when there was fairly good light (i.e sky in the picture), an ISO of 64 was common, point down from the sky towards buildings increased the ISO to 100 and more typically 200.

The resolution looks quite good, I did a church which had an alarm box on the side, under magnification on the computer, I could see the telephone number on the box face. Doing a bee got all of the tiny hairs and doing a sheep in a field did a pretty good reproduction of the grass texture and the sheep's woolly coat.

Skies are good, texture and depth of cloud is retained and the blues are varied and natural. I did not have any purple fringing in my prints, which is pleasing as my S5500 did suffer with this - even in prints.

I did the church clock tower and was very pleased with the digital zoom (though from testing other cameras here, this clock is a good subject for digital zoom), at half rate the 5 x 7 print looks good, at full digital you can start to see the picture breaking down.

I did some pink flowers / foliage in a position that got mix of shade and weak sun. Normal shooting got me a speed of 1/250 at ISO 100. Putting the camera into Anti-Blur mode (sort of sports mode), this pushed the speed up to 1/350 to 1/500 and increased the ISO to 200.

Remember - these are auto type settings, manually (PSAM), the speed and ISO can be determined by the user.

I thought the ISO was very well controlled when set to Auto, out of the thirty shots, I only had 2 shots (same subject) that used an ISO higher than 200 . - this was Antil Blur mode, shooting at 1/300 F3.5 ISO800 and the camera forced the flash on (outdoors !!!) - anyway good result, giving a nice print.

Overall, I am still very happy with the camera. It does appear to be a good all rounder and gives a pleasing print. The camera is not forcing the ISO downwards (as I imagine most cameras do) but it does appear to be using ISO in a very thoughtful way (mathematically speaking of course).

Old Oct 2, 2005, 6:26 AM   #6

Norm,

Have you done any pics of moving subjects indoors high iso

is the grain you get cleanable with prog like neatimage

please comment

I would have bought the f10 but lacks zoompower

s9000 is a bit too big and pricy ; S9000 is twice the price

S5200 seems just wright if it can doo the indoor-no flash- movingsubject-photografy acceptabley
nafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 4:04 PM   #7

Nafta,

have not had a chance to test motion indoors yet. But note that in the evening, with the lights on, Anti blur at wide angle gives 1/45, the flash pops up and the Auto ISO sets iself to 800 -

in low light mode, the speed drops to 1/17 and the ISO goes to 800, the flash does not pop up.

Like i say, i have not tested motion but it's hard to see how that kind of shutter speed can cope with movement. It would not be a failure of the camera, i m not aware of any camera that could freeze motion at those sort of shutter speeds
Old Oct 2, 2005, 5:33 PM   #8

Thank you for responding Norm.

I was thinking; what shutterspeed would you get at 1600iso shooting in a room

with normal artificial lighting.

Could that give a cleanable image with relative fast shutterspeed?
Old Oct 2, 2005, 7:28 PM   #9

in MANUAL mode, your sitution gives me 1/40 f3.6 no flash 1600ISO.

I can see noise on the back screenof the camera but have not had chance to download yet to see how it cleans up.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:57 PM   #10

norm,

thanks for trying , keen to know what antinoise prog will do