Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 29, 2005, 4:18 PM   #1

Hi Just about to recieve my S9500 from dabs.com been ooking around for a flash for it either a hotshoe or PC cable flash like a Metz anybody used anything like this yet.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:23 AM   #2

Andy,

Oh boy, you are getting serious to arm this baby to the teeth.

The Metz flashgun you mentioned I'm not sure if you meant the long big stick flash or not, if that's the one, I don't recommend it to use with the light body of the S9500, you often see wedding photographers use it. I would choose the regular hot shoe flash like the Vivitar or the Sunpak, a used one is around $30-50 depend on condition.

Your first flash should be the Sunpak 383 for indoor shoot, you can turn it in every direction especially shooting vertical portrait format you badly need it to bounce off the ceiling. If you use the Vivitar in that portrait format, you'll have shadow all over the pictures.

Your second flash should be the Vivitar 285, get a new one if you can, this one is for fill flash outdoor, more power than theSunpak.If you need only one, just use the Sunpak outdoor, it'll work just fine.

The next thing is to get a flash bracket, Stroboframe is a good one. My best place is to find a retired professional photographer in the local newspaper to get all these acessories, he will be happy to pass down his gear to the next photographer alive, he could give you a good price package:flash, all kind of filters, flash slave, flash meter...may be you could find the Metz hotshoe flash too. My partner he used it, I borrowed his one time but didn't like it, power consumed too much.

The S9500 has a external flash socket ready to hook up to the bracket for more professional look. I used the bracket for a few years, then got tired of it and developed a fast moving shooting style, I just put flash on hotshoe so I can move freely.Still, you need that handypc socket to hook up to home studio flash.

Fuji is deadly serious to create this wild thing the S9500, I believeit has a secret gem hiding somewhere in the white balance feature, go find it and use it to fine tune your lighting weapon, it isclassified.

Go ahead, shoot first and ask question later. Fuji style.:-)

CS.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:14 AM   #3

Hi coldshot

Thanks for the advice I guess the hotshoe flash will probably be a good start. You reckon the Sunpak is the better first option so I will take a look round for this one. I've done a little reading on this and I was surprised to learn that some flashes for film cameras can damage a Digicam. This was a shock why don't they make them all the same very strange to me.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:49 AM   #4

Yes those old fashion flashduring the manual 35mm era have high output voltage, the new Vivitar 285isfine.

Flash photography is a different subject in photography and it's not easy to master it. It took me five years to do it right. In the old days, you have to develop the film to see the results, it is costly to master any technique, now we have the digital cameras, you seethe pictures instantly.

Indoor, you need to diffuse the flash tosoften shadow/hot spot on the subject. You can find acessories for flash in big store camera shops, but I don't suggest you rush out and buy those flash diffusers yet. You have to use whatever available at home such as a small piece of white cardboard, foam cups, platic milk container... tosoftern your flash, experiment and see which one suit you best. Use the ceiling and the walls around you to bounce off flash to the subject.

Outdoor, you use flash to fill in thedark shadow onyour subject. Another way is to use a white reflector, a large piece of white cardboard is good enough. The reflector is the money making shots, much more beautiful than flash fill. Later, you have to deal with soft focus filters, it's another crazy subject.

The S9500 has a wide range of ISO for you to dive down to 80 and shoot, surface up to 1600 and shoot.

Use camera in manual mode, try to match and mismatch your shutter speed, lens aperture and ISO setting.Learn the hard way, you have to make a lot of mistakes to find one magic number to suit your taste. This number is your signature, your name, your identity, your passion,yourself.

To take pictures is easy, but to take good pictures is not.

By the way, I forgot my magic number, I better get myself an S9000 to practice.:-)

CS.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:53 AM   #5

Hello Andy!

Yes...of course, I have several "Central contact" ones...my last acquired was a Metz 32MZ-3...with 3 "Auto" apertures set up, Lovely and very reliable unit...I highly recommended!

Try to obtain one of these...you will be 100% happy!

Greetings,

Alex 007
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 4:01 AM   #6

Hi Andy!

It's me again, for use with the Sync cord, I own the extremely lovely & reliable Sunpak 522/3600 in Europe quide number same as the Oldie very high voltage trigger Vivitar 285 (Which I also have one:O), it's the "Hammer" type, as the Metz CT-45-1 till 5.

However, much "Travel" suitable is my last acquired metz 32MZ-3 hot shoe mount...which it's 500% compatible with ALL the newer digitally cameras extremely low trigger voltage I measure with my Fluke DMM only 4.03...safely at all!

Alex 007
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote