Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:41 PM   #1

A new toy - Fuji S9000 digital camera - buyer be smart

(Tests w. 1st S9000)

Test results, in both jpeg and RAW, and at various contrast and sharpness settings, quickly told me there was a problem.

(Tests w. 2nd S9000)

New camera in hand, I did the same tests again, using the same magazine and lighting conditions. The results were like night and day! The images were much sharper, with better color and contrast.

(Real-life pictures w. 2nd S9000)

This time, I was not disappointed. I experimented with both manual and auto focus, timed exposures, shallow depth of field, macro settings and the extreme focal lengths of the lens (28mm and 300mm). The detail was quite good in both the shadows and highlights. Images were sharp and photo quality. Color was rich without being over saturated.

The point to my rather long winded story is this: Don't "settle" for something if you think it should perform better than it is. Take the time, test the product and if you are still not happy, do something about it. Be happy and comfortable and confident with your new purchase.

(Bonus question: How do you reckon your camera suffers from this image quality fault?)

Thanks to the person who mentioned this link. I thought it was worth a specific thread...

gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:16 AM   #2

Gaul

Thanks for the links. The real life pictures are really nice, you must live in a lovely part of the world.

I say this as I look out of the window at the driving rain, wind and grey day here in East Kilbride, Scotland. One of the reasong I am after the S9500 is the fact that I need the high ISO's to cope with low light levels for half the year:-)

I may think of posting some impressive storm cloud pictures when I get the camera.

Bestest Wishes

Crystin
CrystinJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:53 AM   #3

Crystin,

Thanks but these are not my pictures. Just relaying the information there...

I actually know East Kylbride and quite a few places in Scotland. Scotland is great for landscape pictures. I would go for Isle of Skye with of course a stop at Eilean Donan castle and then to St Mary's Loch. Stunning views. Love it.

In the UK, I would recommend www.cameras2u.com especially in case of exchange or refund...

Of course, you can ask them to do a price-match with www.dabs.com

See comment I posted on www.kelkoo.co.uk concerning Cameras2u http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/do/maxiMerchantReviews~3636223

Not the only one to recommend them. 92% recommend ratio, pretty good. It's not good luck, it's superior customer service.

My comment: http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/do/miniMerchantReview?contentId=3636223&rid=13

Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:59 AM   #4

Gaul

Thanks for the references. I am going to sit down on Fri 2nd Dec(payday) and trawl for the best price (whilst sipping from a nicely chilled Chardonnay!).

I have looked at quite a few cameras in the £500 range, but keep coming back to the Fuji. I will wait for some reviews before the actual final point, but suspect it will be the same.

The Panasonic looks good, but does not have the high ISO. I have also seen the comments on the Panasonic forum with regard to Noise, and in other places. And so it goes for other cameras, on different points.

Bestest wishes

Crystin
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:27 AM   #5

In S9000 vs competition thread, you find other cameras too...
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:57 AM   #6

I have been looking at that thread, along with quite a few of the rest. Also searches on google and other sites as well. Still coming back tothe Fuji. Do you have one that you think is better, for sub £500?

Best regards

Crystin
Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:48 AM   #7

Also read user comments following article mentioned before:

http://www.communitymx.com/blog/view...cfm?newsid=603
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:43 AM   #8

There's a new thread in dpreview's Fuji forum where people are commenting on defective S9000 cams. People have begun posting their serial numbers.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...p;changemode=1
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:31 PM   #9

Just discovered my blog had been posted here. :-) The images and commentary are from me. All outdoor images were shot at a nearby park on the Scarborough Bluffs in Toronto, Ontario.

I hope people find them useful. In the comments area of the actual blog entry, you'll find other links to new images.

Jim
jbabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 3:51 AM   #10

jbabbage, thanks again for your blog, which made for a very interesting reading. A well-documented description of issues encountered and two"scientific" batches of tests (w. 1st faulty camera and w. 2nd perfect camera) made your point very clear.

If more users could do that, the consumers would be even more well-informed thanks to internet. Much information on the web, but it often comes from people who post some hasty comments, with no reference, accuracy.

Would you recommend your Fuji S9000 after your experience?