Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:13 PM   #1

I am used to using metal body cameras and was wondering about the S9000 build quality. I called Fuji in NJ but they had no information about the body material. What do new owners think? Is it sturdy and rugged? Or do you think the housing could be easily damaged? Also, does anyone know what kind of plastic it's made of?

(I recently had a chance to test the new plactic-body Kodak P850 in a store, and it's definitely not something I'd want to toss in a backpack and go hiking with. Nice pics, though.)
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2005, 1:37 PM   #2

Can anybody comment on how sturdy the camera is? No stores near me have it yet, so I haven't been able to check it out myself. Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2005, 1:47 PM   #3

It's a real solid camera. I don't have the feeling It will fall apart after a little bump.

But I have to say that the door to the memory cards on my s602z feels and looks stronger.And on the s602z there was a door to the connection for the computer etc, now its a stupid rubber flap.

wwwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:30 PM   #4

I went to the local camera shop today to try out the s9500 and have to say I was disappointed by its plasticy feel. Also several of theswitches seemed very fiddly to turn, especially auto/manual focus(and I have small hands) - not a camera I could set up quickly for a shot. It felt very flimsy compared to the Nikon 8800. I was intending to buy the 9500 today, but I'm holding fire to see what else comes on the market before xmas (a replacement for 8800 perhaps?). Just my opinion, but its worth handling the camera if poss before you commit yourself. :O
wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:24 PM   #5

I saw the DCC site's rating for the Fuji build (15/20) and really started to wonder because they rated the Kodak P850 build higher (17/20):

http://www.digital-cameras.com/digit...pix-s9500.html