Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 7, 2005, 5:46 PM   #11

tony1620 wrote:
Quote:
Image stabilization is a very useful facility which the Fuji does not have, however, you must consider the pros and cons of each. Image stabilazition is perfect for controlling camera shake but of no use whatsoever in freezing motion. If you shoot with a slow shutter speed any movement (even trees in a landscape) could be blurred. The advantage of higher ISO's is that the shutter speed increases and this movement can be eliminated along with the effect of camera shake. Thus the aproach by Fuji is potentially better! The quality loss resulting from this approach is the penalty to pay but Fuji have produced a lower noise than similar sensor sizes so as always a compromise has to be reached.
Guys, this is starting to get boring.

Yes, higher ISO is good against motion blur. For gods sake, we all agree on that!!!! Image stabilization helps compensate camera shake. We agree on that too, no?

Therefore, favoring higher quality ISO capabilites vs. image stabilization or the other way around is absolutely legitimate - depending on your shooting habits. Obviously, both together would be perfect!

It's a fine thing the s9000 delivers usable ISO 800 pictures. Personally, I'd choose the s9000 (high ISO capabilities) over the z30 (with image stabilization).

BUT: What I getting at the whole freaking day is that Fuji calling their auto-ISO boost feature an "anti-blur system" suggests it can do somethingspecial - apart from freeing the illiterate photographer from setting the ISO by hand. It can not! On the other hand, as already pointed out, image stabilization does something "extra", namely stabilze the image by means of floating lenses. Assuming you already master basic photography skills such as breathing properly and standing steady, the only way to achieve IS by hand is sticking your camera on a tripod!

nymano.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 6:50 AM   #12

Hello Nymano and All,

I found PF in a few S9000 samples. See thread about a Downloader's S9000 review.

Now I am disappointed. Will wait for formal web reviews.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:51 PM   #13

I see that following on from last weeks Amateur Photographer magazine review, which gave the S9500 85%, this week they have reviewed the FZ30 and given it 75%!
malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 3:28 PM   #14

malinstreak wrote:
Quote:
I see that following on from last weeks Amateur Photographer magazine review, which gave the S9500 85%, this week they have reviewed the FZ30 and given it 75%!
Why's that? Can you give us the reason for the 10-% difference?
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 4:51 PM   #15

malinstreak wrote:
Quote:
I have seen that too.

S9500: 85% (Bought the mag so exact summary)

Pros:
  • Wide ISO (Good pictures at 800) [/*]
  • Minimal Noise [/*]
  • 9 MP [/*]
  • Hotshoe & sync socket
Cons:
[/*]
  • Slow playback [/*]
  • Slow AF [/*]
  • Limited frame rate/burst depth [/*]
  • Inaccurate LCD colours (too much blue)

FZ30: 75% (Just what I remember, did not buy the mag)

Pros:

Nice built, menus, LCD

Cons:
[/*]
  • Not so high ISO [/*]
  • Lens distorsion [/*]
  • Level of noise
[/*]

In the UK, rrp of FZ30 ~ $100 higher than S9500. Today, FZ30 is slightly cheaper as cheaper offers for S9500 have gone.
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 5:16 AM   #16

Review on CNet: 7.0 very good

http://reviews.cnet.com/Fujifilm_Fin...2.html?tag=top
wwwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 6:59 AM   #17

dcrecource put up his review

bit disappointing high iso but still better than others
nafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:57 PM   #18

Interesting debate. I have a brand-new S5200, and it's FAST! I'm guessing here, but would one of the reasons the S9000 seems slow be related to the large file sizes generated by a 9MP camera? I'm very pleased with the S5200. I've taken a few high ISOshots and was stunned by the lack of image noise. Very few digicams can produce clean images at ISO 400, and clean shots at 800 and 1600 are unheard of in this class of camera.

The Auto-Focus system inmy S5200 is very quick and responsive, except when the lens is zoomed in, especially if lighting conditions are less than ideal.I'm sure this is because the light levels hitting the sensors inside the camera fall off when the lens zoomsin and isn't a problem exclusive to Fuji cameras. Focusing the camera manually would solve this problem, and might be more accurate.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:34 AM   #19

You might be right on the image size slowing down the picture preview, I'll try some 5mp shots and see if it speeds it up. Either way, who cares? If you're really in a hurry to get to the pic you want you put it in 9 frame thumbnail view and select what you need. Honestly the writers of thesereviews must be nitpicking ifpicture review speedis seen as a con.
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote