Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:15 PM   #1

got this from dpreview.

http://www.amateurphotographer.com/magazine/current.php

The scores are:
Specification: 27/30
Build: 17/20
Handling: 15/20
Performance: 26/30

Overall rating 85%

another review which is very positive
http://www.neocamera.com/review_fuji_s9000.html

another one positive
http://www.digitalkamera.de/Info/News/29/43.htm

this one negative (check the comments at the bottom)
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...ra-Review-.htm

Till so far a good result it is a pity some people have a camera which is not performing well (bad quality control Fuji ??)

Attached Images

dijkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:00 PM   #2

Regarding the "negative" review by digitalcamerainfo:

It seems to me the reviewer is unimpressed with the camera because it doesn't have Nikon, Canon, or Minolta on its faceplate, it's not a dSLR, and it doesn't have image stabilization.The writer is a purist and above considering that more can be discerned from actual picturestaken in the field than from looking at graphs and color chart shots taken in a business office no matter how sterile the circumstances.

Somehow I doubt Fuji would have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to design, build, and markettheir anti-blur system if it wasn't as good or better than image stabilization. Fuji is an inovative company and other 'out of the box' ideas they've introduced have proven to be more than satisfactory in our industry.

The point concerning the batteries would be valid were it not for the truth about how most photographers shoot in the field. Pros ALWAYS carry an extra set of fresh batterys no matter what camera they're shooting with. The same is true for most advanced shutter buffs who snap off plenty of shots while they're out. As for the rest, what's the problem? They're not going to use up their charge in one shoot anyway. And if they do, they'll learn to carry an extra set of batteries with them Not such a big deal. How many of us film jockies have hiked around carrying extra film, batteries for the camera and flash, and host of other odds and ends to make our task easier?

I purchased the S5200. It's all I need. It's a fantastic camera for the money that takes excellent pictures (even in low light) even when compared to snaps taken with higher priced dSLRs. I'll rarely need to blow prints up past 11x14 and I know Fuji's technology will serve my purposes. I've learned a long time ago that money saved by not overpurchasing is money there to spend on items of necessity. As the years go by this reviewer will learn that simple fact of life as well.
Yarnspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 2:51 AM   #3

Yarnspinner wrote:
Quote:
Somehow I doubt Fuji would have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to design, build, and markettheir anti-blur system if it wasn't as good or better than image stabilization.
While I generally agree, I'd like to point out that the so-called "anti-blur system" is nothing more than automatically turning up ISO when required -something you could easily do by hand (and I would except anyone using such a substantial camera as the s9000 to be literate enough to do so). Therefore, this "anti-blur system" does not inherently allow you to make shake-free images.

On the other hand, image stabilization is a technology thatphysically helps stabilizing the image in low light. Therefore, per se, image stabilization is superior to the "anti-blur system".

Please feel free to argue

cheers, nymano.

nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 6:15 AM   #4

"On the other hand, image stabilization is a technology thatphysically helps stabilizing the image in low light. Therefore, per se, image stabilization is superior to the "anti-blur system".

Please feel free to argue "

---------------------------------------------

Hello Nymano and All,

Why is is that every comment regarding IS that I have read on the webnever relates to the type of subject being photographed?

I am not arguing against your statement.

I am simply stating your statement about IS is of an incomplete nature as you have not mentioned the type of subject (moving vs stationary).

Waiting for your response,

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:16 AM   #5

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Why is is that every comment regarding IS that I have read on the webnever relates to the type of subject being photographed?

I am not arguing against your statement.

I am simply stating your statement about IS is of an incomplete nature as you have not mentioned the type of subject (moving vs stationary).
Iwas sure this objection would come. I refrained from answering it in my prior post for the sake of discussion.:P

I am completely d'accord with you that image stabilization will notprovide a remedy for moving subjects. Only a faster shutter speed will, i.e. a larger aperture and/or higher ISO.

But that was not my point. My point was that Fuji's "anti-blur system" does not enable you to do anything you couldn't do by setting ISO by hand. "Anti-blur system" merely boosts ISO as considered appropriate (something I absolutely hate on my F10!!!). Image stabilization does much more - it physically stabilizes the image (but of course not the moving subject)!

Therefore, putting "anti-blur system" on par with image stabilization is inappropriate.

A general statement suchs as "I favor the anti-blur system over image stabilization because I shoot moving subjects" is highly questionable. Whether a camera has high ISO capabilities (i.e. suitable for moving subjects) or not is in no way connected to whether it has image stabilization or some auto-ISO-boost feature (aka "anti-blur system").

Comparing the two is only valid for specific cameras. For example, one *could* assess: The Fuji s9000 has fairly high ISO capabilities while the Panasonic z30 has image stabilization but very noisy images at ISO 400. Therefore, the s9000 might be preferable for moving subjects.

peace, nymano.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:26 AM   #6

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Regards, Nicholas
Btw, Nicholas. I remember your enthusiasm for the s9000 a few weeks ago (I'M GETTING ONE, CAN'T WAIT TO GET IT, BYE-BYE F828!!!! ). How has that evolved? Bought one yet? Considering something else?

nymano.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:04 AM   #7

I ordered the test report from:

http://www.amateurphotographer.com/magazine/current.php

It arrived by mail today.

It's a great test, with good points. The score is 85 points (out of 100).Without ,,the lackluster frame rate, tardy AF and poor playback speed'' it would have been a 90 score.

The final word is that the s9500 ,,may well be the first legitimate 'all-in-one' design capable of competing with the current rash of entry level digital SLRs''.

wwwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:14 AM   #8

It seems to me that many of these camera reviews are written by people who have an opportunity to handle, shoot with, and compare virtually every camera that hits the market. They have played with the Nikon DSLRs, and the Canon professional cameras. They have sophisticated testing equipment. And they probably have become very selective in what they like and dislike in a camera. Now, Fuji comes along with a new camera that boasts a higher megapixel rating than many of the professional DSLR cameras on the market. Fujis own marketing material suggests that the new 9000/9500 is an alternative that will fill the needs of many photographers who have been debating whether to upgrade to a DSLR. I don't think Fuji has said in any of its announcements that the camera is as good as, or better than, a DSLR. But the reviewers seem to expect it to be just that. The pictures are not as good as those taken with a Nikon D70. I know that, because I have spent quite a bit of time comparing images from the two cameras. But the 9000 does take pictures that are much better than my 5100 which I have enjoyed immensely, and still do. When I compare images from the 9000 and the 5100 in Photoshop at 100 percent, I can definitely see a difference in clarity. For me, a move to the 9000 would give me a much higher quality image and many options that I don't have on my current camera. So when these reviewers start tearing the camera to pieces, I think it would be a good idea to sit back and realize where they are coming from with their comments. I want a S9000, but I'm not going to be able to get one for quite a while.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:56 AM   #9

nymano wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand, image stabilization is a technology thatphysically helps stabilizing the image in low light. Therefore, per se, image stabilization is superior to the "anti-blur system".
So floating lens elements is a technology and auto-adjusting ISO/sutterspeed is not, eh? Well, once I get the camera in my hands we shall see. I've used a Canon A-1 for 20 years. Yes, I could and did use higher ISO film to compensate for movement at low light levels. I could not, however, change out the film after 3 or 4 shots to a lower ISO like the Fuji system will allow me to do. None of my Canon lenses have image stabilization yet my pix have been just fine over the years. If the Fujis will allow me to take blur free photos when I need them (face it, most of my shots will not require it), I'll be happy. If it allows me to do so with less noise than other image stabilized cameras, I'll be even happier. And if it allows me to do it at $399 over $699, I'll be estatic! Technology is only superior when it brings about significently better results overall. From what I've seen so far, I'll take the Fuji S5200 or S9000over the Panasonic F30 hands down. That's why I made the purchase I made.

Oh I forgot. The perfect image stabilization technology has been, and most likely will remain, the tripod, another tool that pros and enthusiasts have carted around since the late 1800s. I doubt that lens stabilization nor anti-blur will change the need for a tripod in the forseeable future.

One more thought. The Panasonic Z30, with it's image stabilization, takes photographs that are inferior to those of the Z20 it replaced. All the new bells and whistles they hung on the body behind that excellent lens will not change that fact. I doubt something similar will ever be said of the Fuji S5200 or the S9000.

Yarnspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:50 PM   #10

Image stabilization is a very useful facility which the Fuji does not have, however, you must consider the pros and cons of each. Image stabilazition is perfect for controlling camera shake but of no use whatsoever in freezing motion. If you shoot with a slow shutter speed any movement (even trees in a landscape) could be blurred. The advantage of higher ISO's is that the shutter speed increases and this movement can be eliminated along with the effect of camera shake. Thus the aproach by Fuji is potentially better! The quality loss resulting from this approach is the penalty to pay but Fuji have produced a lower noise than similar sensor sizes so as always a compromise has to be reached.

Tony
tony1620 is offline   Reply With Quote