Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:10 PM   #11

Mine is 53Q088?3 (S9500), and I am really pleased with the results - no complaints.
djgiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:13 PM   #12

Well it looks like just the early models (maybe first batch?) are the only ones with problems. That makes me feel better about purchasing the camera for my trip
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:24 AM   #13

How did you used the test chart, just as a target to take photos?
Arnold1896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:11 PM   #14

@Arnold

I printed this out in A3 size with a good laserprinter, fixed the chart with some tape at my door, fixed the camera at 81cm from the middle, and verified the distance to right and left corner of thechart, there where it says 16:9. Then I took photos with and without Flash, I always get the left edge blurry. You can easily compare in this way, because the printed lines and numbers give better detailsthan wooden fences or other material. However I did some shots outside about 15m from a metal fence, and this produced other results, where the right edge was blurry. So I am not sure if Im just paranoid or doing something wrong ...
Conquistador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 4:18 PM   #15

@Conquistador

Thanks,

What setting were you using for AF etc.

I have taken photos (laser printed target A3), place on a landing floorstoodonstairs and tool photos at variuos distances and zooms.

It is very easy to create blurring where ever you want it, slight tilt of camera. Tripod and spirit level or plumb line next (hell this is sad).

Its my personal feeling that you need to understang this camera fully to get the best performance (yes I know this is obvious, but why make it fully auto).

Or just maybe Fuji do have a genuine quality control problem.

Now where is the instruction manual, boy do I feel I need to read it.

Arnold
Old Oct 11, 2005, 3:44 PM   #16

@Arnold,

Yes I agree completely with you, a few mm can make a big difference, especially at 1m distance and F2.8. I took some photos in 3:2 mode and they were sharp. Most of the other photos I took on 9mp fine, Auto, with 35, 50 and about 100mm. And I always used Flash and iso 200. However I used the manual focus, got the camera to focus with the button and it did even not need correction. What seems strange to me is that the whole image is sharp, only the left edge is not. I sent this to Fuji tech support and they told me that they couldnt see anything. However I showed it to my friends and they see it, so Im not the only one apparently...

I also took a wooden fence outside and there I have also the impression that the left edge is blurry, however with wood its not easy for me to see it correctly. Do you have any suggestion how to test this more efficiently? :?
Old Oct 12, 2005, 2:13 AM   #17

So, since this is the S/N thread, what is your S/N Conquistador? I am going to guess it is probably around or under 1000. :?

edit - Stupid smileys are messed up
Old Oct 12, 2005, 2:14 AM   #18

@Conquistador,

My opinion is, if your camera has problems with the left hand side, be persistant with Fuji. Insist they replace you camera.

I have not yet completed test on my camera to form an opinion. I will let you know the outcome.

Good luck.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 5:20 PM   #19

53Q00955 posted it here already

bought in the UK at Jessops, they gave me the Dabs price as I presented them the printout from the internet. 400 pound, thats 100 less than their price in the shop

what do you mean with under 1000, do you have any information that the under 1000 are kind of beta versions? or that they adjusted their production line after the first 1000 cameras or so=?

@Arnold,

After having read some posts, I think that I ll keep it like it is, the blurry bit is only about 5% of the image, the rest seems ok to me. I hate the purple fringing but this is probably more complex and not only related to the lens as i thought before. 15years ago I used a real SLR with only Zeiss lenses, and there was never any chromatic aberration... but there is always something not completely perfect.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 7:02 PM   #20

I ordered two S9000from Dell (U.S.) and they just came yesterday,both S/N started with 53A5xxxx, after speding two hours of shooting test, I did not discover any problem on both of them, thanks god.
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote