Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 8, 2005, 6:34 PM   #1

Hello All,

Decided to upgrade my F-828 with the Fuji S9000.

Will watch the market place regarding Sony's R-1 and whether its sensor will be made available to Canon, Olympus, Nikon, etc (as was the F-828 sensor - not 4 color). Perhaps whatever is announced by this group will indeed be the "last digital camera anyone would need to buy".

The expenditure for the S9000 at this time, for me, isthe most efficient way to keep up with the digital world without staying on the treadmill too long.

I didn't tell my F-828 yet.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2005, 12:12 AM   #2

Might I recommend a quiet out of the way restaurant, so that your F-828 won't make much of a scene :G Congrats on the new cam!
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 5:28 PM   #3

Nicholas,

Yesterday morning, you were disappointed with the PF in posted S9000 pics. You said you were waiting for formal web reviews. Less than 12 hours later, you decided to buy the S9000...did some really exciting web reviews come out today? Why the sudden change? Did you find out something about the PF the rest of us should know? You must really hate your Sony!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:59 PM   #4

Hello Rinniethehun and All,

Good question.

I stumbled on this thread of a S9500 user's photos at the zoo.

While no hight contrast scenes are included, as a people shooter, these pics show me that the S9000 is going to be a very good people camera.

I found it for $599, and a two year warranty extension $81, no tax, Plus shipping.

A very good price to upgrade from my F-828, for a camera with good specs, and good user photos.

Here are the photos that sold me:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15338388

Note: The photographer lists his ISO's in one of his posts in the same thread.

Regards, Nicholas

Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:50 AM   #5

Nicholas

Glad to see that you have finally made a decision, I noticed that you almost talked yourself out of it a couple of times. I have compared images I have seen from the S9000 and the Sony F828 and it is clear to me that the Fuji is much better suited to lower light shooting than the Sony, and the added reach of the Fuji lens will make events easier to cover. As for PF, the Sony has been hammered in the press for noise and chromatic aberration issues, did you really find the fringing that bad with that camera?

Enjoy your new camera and let's see some results when you get some.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:19 PM   #6

Hi, just a comment on PF: Compared to the S7000 I had (which I adored), PF is an order of magnitude less.

The s9500 with default settings and postprocess is blowing me away
Andy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:15 PM   #7

Hello Ira, Andy, and All,

Re: F-828 & PF: no PF at all if you use only aperture 5.6. The wider or narrower you go the more PF present in high contrast portions of an image (not any other part of the image).

Being a People photog (and everything else) I always use flash, which helps keeping it at f5/6 some of the time.

If I ever see brand new F-828's going for $300 I will buy two and hold on to them. (well at least one).

Low light performance pushed me to the S9000, as well as 'portrait' images.

Received a phone call verifying my order, ships Tuesday, should receive this Wednesday.

Regards, Nicholas
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:21 PM   #8

I'm interested in your findings that PF seems aperture dependent.. I know about lens diffraction at small apertures stealing detail. Anyone got a tech theory link for PF?

Andy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:46 PM   #9

Hi Andy & All.

I learned about the F-828's 'variable PF', that is PF levelsdepending on F stop, in an article on Luminous Lanscape. A very good photography site.

I got my S9000 this morning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back from shooting.

Will report my findings in new thread.

Regards, Nicholas