Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 6, 2003, 7:31 AM   #1

Default Fuji 3800 Problem

WOndering if anyone has had this problem.

I have been using my 3800 with the power supply connected for about the past week. I unplugged it this morning and went to use it off of the batteries and nothing. They are freshly charged and camara will not make a sound. I am at work now and do not have the power adaptor to check and see if it is the cam or the battery compartment, but I have two sets of batteries and nothing with either.
telmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2003, 8:31 AM   #2

I use the AC adapter, however, I've never left it on my camera for such a long period. It sounds like the batteries that were in the camera decharged over the period of time you had the AC adapter connected.

Your second set of batteries could be decarged too if it has been a long time since they were charged.

I only had a problem similar to the one you describe once and although I was certain I had the batteries in correctly, I found that I did not! LOL

Good luck and I hope your camera isn't damaged...It's a wonderful camera.

Rodney
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 11:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Rodney

Both sets of batteries are charged. Went by a local radio shack and tried the power adapter there and cam works fine with it plugged in. Tried with both sets of NIMH batteries that I have and also with a set of fresh out of the pack alkalines.. I guess i'll have to give fuji a call. Pisses me off the because the wife and I are heading on a weekend cruise tommorrow and I know there is no way to get this squared away by then. In the mean time i've made a battery pack that plugs into the dc in jack to take a few pictures but thats going to look crazy on the ship with a battery attached on the under side of the cam... If anybody else has any thoughts what they think it might be it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 3:59 PM   #4

Is your power adaptor a Fuji one?

The manual says the adaptor doesn't charge the battery, so they must have put a diode internally between the battery pack and the cam circuits. Get a check done to see if there's any resistance at all across the internal battery connections to cam. If not I'd suspect this internal blocking diode has gone - bit of a guess though!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2003, 1:37 AM   #5

Do you have an xD memory card in the slot? My 2300 and 2800 won't power on if I forget to install it, although it might work without one on the AC adapter (I don't have one of those).
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 10:37 AM   #6

Still haven't figured the problem out will be sending it out to be repaired today hopefully(as it is still under warranty). Just pissed me off because the wife and I went on our first cruise this past weekend. All was not lost though, I ended up making an external battery pack that plugged into the dc jack so was still able to get some pictures. Just looked a little crazy with a battery mounted under the camara on the outside plugged in.

BTW got excellant battery life. Charged the batteries before we left friday morning and batteries are still going. Filled a 128 mb card. Deleting and adding pictures on the fly so not sure exactly how many snaps I actually took.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 11:18 AM   #7

There are accessory external battery packs commercially available that have more power than anything you can insert in the battery compartment. These attach to the AC jack with an umbilical cord to a belt pack. They can be NiMH or NiCad. In Canada they cost about $100 or so. I used to have one for an old video camera so I could shoot all day on a single charge (in fact it would last several days of continuous shooting).
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 7:19 AM   #8

Mentor,

Thats basically what I made I just ended up using heavyduty velcro and attaching it to the bottom of the cam. I used regular AA NIMH batteries, but you can use either C or D cell batteries or 8 AA batteries and make a hip pack to increase mA hours. To make the one that I used only cost around 5 bucks not including the batteries. Parts purchased at radio shack.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 7:46 AM   #9

Quote:
or 8 AA batteries
It's better not to connect any batteries in parallel, as they will 'charge share' i'e they will never be at exactly the same charge level, so the flatest will be charged by the others when left.

Look at the peak current spec for a 'D Cell' - now that's what you need to get the flash re-charged quicker!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 8:43 AM   #10

voxmagna,

Hadn't thought about that but very true.