Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 17, 2005, 7:03 PM   #1

I have also posted this on dpreview

My views on the s9500

Firstly I used to have a s7000 which I really liked except for the slow zoom, slow shutter, too much green. The colours were unatural to my eye and a bit too much noise. The noise was not a problem until I got aN E550 as a carry around camera and noticed the lack of noise at lower iso settings.

The things I like about the s9500 are

Very fast startup
Love that manual zoom
fast shutter ( no more having to anticipate action shots )
Much faster focus
Very nice to hold
Natural colours
Movable lcd
Very little noise up to iso400, iso800 usable with some noise removal and iso1600 at a pinch
Pics very easy to post process, sharpen etc. because of the natural look to the pics out of the camera.
Pics printed with Qimage without any pp are fantastic.
Anything for the screen needs to be resized to the resolution to be viewed and unsharp mask run over them.( I have not found a prosumer digital camera yet that does not need this).
The camera seems to handle bad and tricky light much better. Much more shadow detail and nowhere near as many blown highlights. Much easier to get a good shot.
Easy on batteries
The AElock button can be set as a switch so you dont have to hold it on.
The EVF seems more grainy but is very easy to use at night. Nice and bright and sharp.

Over all very nice to hold and use.( except for a few small things, see below) I can't stop using it! Very adictive.
In my opinion This is a very good camera for the person who doesn't want to carry around lots of lenses etc.
I like the fact that the pics straight out of the camera are a little soft for the screen. This gives you plenty of scope for post processing. But if you are going to print using good printing software you need very little if any.

The things that bug me about the s9500 are

WHERE IS THE SHIFT BUTTON [email protected]#$#[email protected]$%%

I don't like the cover over the usb etc. ports. I keep forgeting to close it properly. The s7000 had a nice clip shut door.

I'm not sure I like the new menu system but I can't see them changing it. It would mean a complete rewrite of the manual.

This is only my opinion and I hope it is of some help to anyone who is thinking of getting this camera.

Any comments welcome.

Sel ........... :-)
http://sel.enternet.co.nz/photos.html

SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:32 PM   #2

I'm a very happy user too. I've been playing around with nights shots the past few days and have some nice full moon pictures.
I'm so impressed how well the pictures turn out without flash indoors, I can get very clear photos on auto and a steady hand even without using the natural light mode.

Pros: As mentioned by SelNZ plus I like thehigh speed port for uploading images sure beats my old 1.1 usb camera.
Macro and super macro are excellent, makes youhunt around the garden looking for bugs and flowersyou didn't care about before!
The movies are great too!

My only negatives about this camera:

You have quick access to the image quality and sizes but the Rawoption is buried in another menu, I've emailed Fuji about this and they have passed it on to marketing. Apparently a lot of people have requested the Raw option to be moved to the same image size screen when you press F. I hope so.

Some pictures have purple fringe in them when examined closely but I've only seen it around trees and limbs where the edges meet the high contrast of the sky. Can't see anything in 4x6 prints though. Haven't had anything printed larger as yet.
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:46 AM   #3

By the way SelNZ, just took a peek at your photos, very nice!

Especially liked the bee shots, any post sharpening there or straight from the camera? I can't get the buggers to stay still for me!
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:52 AM   #4

Overall, I agree. The missing SHIFT button, the under utilized F button (that has SO much potential) and the menu maze for getting to RAW . . these are my primary issues. None are life threatening - just inconvenient.

The plastic access cover should probably have been made of rubber (or a better quality rubber). Personally, I don't miss a hinged door as I think that has a better chance of snapping off.
jbabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 3:58 PM   #5

Spyder wrote:
Quote:
By the way SelNZ, just took a peek at your photos, very nice!

Especially liked the bee shots, any post sharpening there or straight from the camera? I can't get the buggers to stay still for me!
Thanks spyder. The bee pics were cropped about half frame, then noise ninja with some sharpening. I have profiled noise ninja, neat image and psp-x noise reduction to both my cameras E550 / s9500. Both were taken at iso200 because it was a dull day. There was not a lot of noise, just like film grain.

I found the best way of getting the shots, was to set the camera to spot metering and focus on super macro, then just push the lens as close as possible and keep firing off shots.:flame:

Sel ......... :-)

http://sel.enternet.co.nz/photos.html
SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote