Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 18, 2005, 12:27 PM   #1

I have just boughted the 9500 and tested to take raw photos but what the heck, i have no program to fix the image after??? i use the raw converter hor follow whith the camera to get it to .TIF,,, but later what program??? photoshop is to hard for my, cant understand much in that prog, want some other prog,, any recomends?
winzhangout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:18 PM   #2

The raw converter that is part of the software bundle that comes with the camera is pretty much worthless because all it will do is convert the file to a tiff image. I know Adobe is working on supporting the raw files from your camera, but if you don't want to use Photoshop or Photoshop Elements that isn't going to be of any help to you. Do a Web search for S7Raw. The latest version of this free download will provide you with some editing options, but personally I don't think it is as versatile as it needs to be. If Photoshop is too hard for you and you aren't able to devote time to learning it or some other photo editing software, then it would probably be better for you to just shoot JPEG images because the camera does more processing on those. The raw files are not processed in the camera. And unless you are a skilled photographer you are probably going to have to do some editing before you get the results that you want. The S7Raw program will help you modify some of the settings, but in all probability I think you will find that you will need to use some photo editing software to finish the job.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 2:52 PM   #3

Definitely agree with jphess. The whole point in shooting RAW is to have more control over the final output of your images using image editing software. Until you learn to use such software, I would definitely stick with shooting jpeg. But I also strongly recommend becoming familiar with one of the popular editing products. With digital imaging, only half the work is done with the camera, the image editing half is what can make or break a photo. Look around the forums at some of the posts, there are tonnes of pics that could be radically improved with some time in an image editing program....my two cents anyway.

goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 3:49 PM   #4

Maybe I have learned to depend on Photoshop a little too much. Sometimes I can run a whole batch of photos through Photoshop using an action (which is like a macro in other programs) and that is all it takes. Other times I find that spending a little more time is really helpful. If Photoshop is too intimidating for you, it might be worth considering Photoshop Elements, or Paint Shop Pro, or Microsoft Picture It, or whatever. Not having something to edit your images is like leaving yourself at the mercy of a photo lab, just letting them make all the decisions. You really need something.

We all take time to admire the works of legendary photographers; Ansel Adams comes to mind. I was surfing the TV channels many years ago, and on PBS that was a program playing showing how he would project an image onto the wall; a huge enlarging system. Then the program showed how he would manipulate his images. He was a master of photography, but he was also a master of the dark room. And I think it takes both to enable us to maximize our abilities and our tastes. Now, with digital photography, it's relatively easy for anyone to get the software can develop the skills to produce the best photographs possible. I don't think using Photoshop is "cheating"; it's just another avenue available to us to accomplish what we want. It just takes time and some dedication to learn how to use the software.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:37 PM   #5

ACDSEE v5 opens the RAW files and you can save them in other formats, probably it needs the Fuji plugin which I installed before.

And now, comparing the same object in Raw and 9mp fine, I must say, that the 9mp fine gives you far more detail if you zoom in, the raw picture is smaller in size anyway.
Conquistador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:55 AM   #6

Regarding s7raw, I'll give you a different perspective. If you don't own photosphop CS2 or elements 3+ and only have s7raw it will give you much better results than when shooting jpeg. It also is much better than fuji's cappy raw converter (especially if it is like the one that came with my S5100). I am writing a tutorial and user guide for the program because I use it for most of my photographs. It's primary features allow for exposure, white balance, saturation, tone curves, morie cancel, sharpening, contrast, brightness, gamma; lens corrections for vignetting, distortion, and sensor offset; and selective color adjustments.

It is true as jphessmentioned that you will need another photo editor to finish the job (such as PSP,Photoshop, Photoshop Elements [which doesn't have lens corrections in raw mode by the way], GIMP [free program too], or others). Mainly to work with layers and to do more advanced adjustments. But if you don't mind a two step process you can achieve fantastic results with the free software. Take a look at my articlesat http://www.mattspinelli.com if you would like to learn more about how to use the program.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote