Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 18, 2005, 6:01 PM   #1

Can anyone offer any advice for a very novice photographer on what has happened with the attached photo taken with my S7000. It has a vertical band of purple discoloration through the center of the picture. I have noticed the same effect on perhaps one or two other photo's. I don't recall noticing the problem in the viewfinder prior to taking the photo. I would be interested if anyone can offer any advice on why it has occurred and how to avoid it in the future.
Attached Images

Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:03 PM   #2

I'm no expert, but I have seen something similar before, and in those instances it was a problem with the ccd. Other than that I can't think of anything that would create such a particular discoloration in this particular way (ie, lens issues, shooting conditions, etc)
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:25 PM   #3

Thanks Goomer, I'm actually more of the opinion it's something to do with the conditions than a "fault" with the camera. The photo was taken on a recent holiday, this photo was taken and then I did a bracketed shot of the same scene some 30 sec's later and all 4 photos of this scene have this effect and yet no other photos taken were affected. I am an electronics technician and know only too well about intermittent faults but can't help thinking if it were a fault it would show up a little more randomly.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:39 AM   #4

Where were you when you took the photos, and what were you wearing?
If you were in a bus or a car then the purple band is a reflection in the glass.
You need to place the lense on the window and use manual focus.
Is it still doing it?

Have fun, Tink.
Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:10 PM   #5

Best guess internal reflections from taking pictures into the sun.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 4:32 PM   #6

Andy_Lee wrote:
Quote:
Best guess internal reflections from taking pictures into the sun.
That would be my guess as well. Could you tell us if you were indeed shooting into the sun?
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:28 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. Yes, photo was taken around 3:15 in the afternoon into a westerly direction and was not shot through glass or anything. Can anyone explain a little more about internal reflections? how to avoid etc. Is this a problem with the S7000 or a more generic phenomenon that I just need to be aware of?
Old Oct 29, 2005, 1:03 AM   #8

It looks to me like there wastoo much difference in the brightness of the sky and the subject, so the camera's metering system became 'confused' and didn't expose either properly.If that's the case, agraduated neutral-density filter would solve the problem by blockingsomeof the extra light coming the sky. Unfortunately, these things are a bit pricey.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 1:52 AM   #9

In a 7000, you should have been able to see this in the viewfinder/LCD screen at hte time you were taking the picture. Generally, just don't shoot into the sun is a pretty good rule of thumb unless you're shooting a sunset of course. But those low in hte sky suns tend to cause this type of issue.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 9:28 AM   #10

It's still a beautiful picture in my opinion! I agree that it must have been the direct sun...
AmyT_5100 is offline   Reply With Quote