Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 1, 2005, 9:49 AM   #11

I've had the 5500 for about 7 months now and if the 5600 is anything like its predecessor then itis a truly great camera. Despite my best efforts to produce lousy pictures the 5500 consistently produces great results. It has taken me very quickly from rank beginner to very enthusiastic amateur and has introduced me tojust about every aspect of the hobby. I'm only after the 9500 now because I wouldlike the manual zoom & focus (I'mfinding the electronic method a bit cumbersome of late especially in macro mode).

But havingsaid that, I don't think I would ever get bored with my 5500 and would recommend it toanyone - especially those serious about getting into the hobby.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:07 AM   #12

Nicholas,

I am sorry I cannot agree with the statment that the S9000 is a digital SLR killer. I think it would be more appropriate to say that the S9000 is killed by the digital SLR! I owned an S9000 for one month, was totally disappointed with it, and took it back to the shop. I purchased a Nikon D70s and am totally surprised by the difference in image quality. The images of the S9000 were soft and noisy compared to a Konica DSLR when making 8" x 12" prints at ISO100. There is no subsitute for the larger CCD on a true DSLR. I also found that the limited dynamic range in the small Fuji sensor blew out highlights quite noticeably. Yes you would get better results in raw, but I would get even better results with the D70s if I shot in raw. The Fuji's JPEG compression is just too aggressive to enable optimal iimage quality. Also the image suffers detail loss at higher ISOs due to excessive noise reduction. Anyway the camera does have some virtues, the lens has a good range (don't need extra lenses)and the ability to take AA batteries is in my opinion good. I guess comparing a $899 camera (AUD) to a $1999 camera is not strictly fair. However when Fuji claims that this camera can compete in image quality to a entry level DSLR, then I believe they have overstepped the bounds of reality. Even a entry level DSLR will provide superior images. Unfortunately I believed the the pre release hype and pre reviews and was hooked. However if you look around now the reviews aren't substantiating the S9000's claim to be a viable alternative to a DLSR.
icmacdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:43 AM   #13

the posted images seem a little 'flat'

perhaps the excessive PP required
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:54 AM   #14

Icmacdon,

I agree, there is no way the 9000/9500 should be compared with a DSLR - big mistake Fuji made on it's release by implying that it would make the low end DSLR obsolete. Don'tthink its a bad camerathough - very good in fact in it's own arena, butput it in the DSLR arena and it's bound to be found wanting and provoking a"thumbs down" from the crowd.

It's obvious to me thatmuch of the negativity around is because Fuji created an expectation in the 9000 thatit couldn't fufill. If they'd rather said "We've developed a greatdigicam that gets quite close to the DSLR in many respects and the single lens makes it much moreconvenient to use" there would have been amore positive response (and less dissapointment/antagonism) than there has been.

In my opinionFuji's marketing strategy on this one displays a stupidity of galactic proportion(theterm "mis-representation" springs to mind). By rights, there should be a marketing executive somewhere "falling on his sword".

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 1:26 PM   #15

But isn't that what advertising is all about? There are very few things that are ever as good as the advertisement wants you to believe. If Fuji had said something like, "the 9000 is like an SLR in many ways", they wouldn't have generated nearly as much interest in the camera. The reviewers aren't going to give the camera high marks because they have an opportunity to review and test just about everything that comes on the market. Some of the users who contribute to this forum speak very highly of the camera. It is not as good as an SLR. However, if a camera produces images that meet or exceed our demands/expectations and saves us some money then, for us, that camera very well could be an SLR killer. I'm thinking very seriously about purchasing the 9000 for several reasons. You professionals will probably scoff at such a decision. But I am never going to purchase an SLR and then make a huge investment in extra lenses. I'm not a professional. Don't claim to be one. Don't ever plan on being one. And the 9000 will meet my expectations.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 1:32 PM   #16

I don't own an S9000 but have been researching it since information 1st became available and am still on track to grab one in a few weeks.

There is in fact very little (comparatively) information out there suggesting this is a dSLR killer or competitor. There may have been some statements at release date but go to Fuji's website and you won't leave with this impression.

However, others have certainly picked up on how controversial this idea (fueled in part by this thread) is and it seems to be blown way out of proportion. Fuji can't be held responsible for what the media says.

Depending on how you use your camera, it could very well be a dSLR killer but I don't think anyone has ever argued that from a pure spec perspective, it is a dSLR killer.

It definately fills a niche that I appear to be in but I don't regard it at anything more than a "bridge" camera.

curiousity54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:00 PM   #17

curisotity-

Your analysis is indeed quite correct. The Fuji S-9000 is a great digital camera. I know that fact quite well. However, it is not about to put my dSLR's out of business at all.

With all due respects to Nick, whose photos I very much admire, My Pentax 1st DS, my Canon 20D, my Canon 350D/XT, my Nikon D-70, and my Olympus E-300/E-500 will clearly take better photos that really "pop."

The Fuji S-9000 is indeed an excellent digital camera, but in all honesty it will not drive the dSLR's away. You might ask why I have so many dSLR cameras? Well, the answer is quite simple indeed. I conduct digital camera workshops, including dSLR targeted workshops specifically around the world.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:41 PM   #18

6.1 meg DSLR w/ 80-200mm f2.8 APO (printable 16x20):

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:23 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 9:22 PM   #19

I guess that finally ends the very famous 6mp vs 8 mp image argument.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:58 PM   #20

Hello All,

Why have most of you not read my first sentence in creating this thread:

" Hello All,
For me, that is for myself only, my photo shoot of yesterday convinces me that my new S9000 is a DSLR Killer as well as an R-1 Killer."

"...,that is for myself only,..." does not mean any of you.

The term "DSLR Killer" is used in a review at LetsgoDigital.com, a highly reputable web stite, just like Steve's.

I have been through a D30 and D60, still own them, and an F-828.

My S9000 beats them all. It also beats current DSLR's for me only.

I achieve what I require photographicallyat an exceptional price and simplicity of equipment.

If you have not seen my review thread, please check it out. My sole basis for the review is the ability to Capture the Moment with my S9000, as I state at the end of my review.

Thank you for all your comments.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote