Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 17, 2005, 3:56 AM   #21

curiousity54 wrote:
Quote:
There is in fact very little (comparatively) information out there suggesting this is a dSLR killer or competitor. There may have been some statements at release date but go to Fuji's website and you won't leave with this impression.

Heading from Page 2 of the glossy Fuji Sales Brochure for the S9000 reads;

"The new Finepix S9000:

Performance to rival a sophisticated digital SLR"

Seeing as this brochure is available worldwideat Fuji stockists I would say this is precisely theimpression Fuji intend.

Quote:
However, others have certainly picked up on how controversial this idea (fueled in part by this thread) is and it seems to be blown way out of proportion. Fuji can't be held responsible for what the media says.
Fuji are however responsible for whatthey, themselves say.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 4:19 AM   #22

jphess wrote:
Quote:
But isn't that what advertising is all about?

No-and especially not in an educated market place
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:44 AM   #23

What in the world is the "educated marketplace"? Advertising is advertising. It's purpose is to convince you to purchase a product. Fuji nor any other camera company is ever going to suggest that a camera is "nearly as good as" a dSLR. There isn't an advertisement for any product that is 100 percent truthful and factual. Advertising is full of half-truths designed specifically and solely to motivate you to put a product or service in front of you. And if anyone thinks otherwise, they are terribly naive, IMHO.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:33 AM   #24

An educated market place is one in whichthe target customeris most likely to verifya product's credentialsbefore parting with his money - which is why so many contributors to these forums have been anxiously awaiting various reviews.

Quote:
There isn't an advertisement for any product that is 100 percent truthful and factual. Advertising is full of half-truths
Perhapsso in your part of the world, but there are certain advertising standards that existelsewhere.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:48 PM   #25

But even the reviews are terribly biased. One of them had Nikon pop-up ads appearing everywhere. And I don't think you will ever get a truly objective review from any of these mainstream reviewers. They are comparing this camera with everything else they have had an opportunity to handle/test/review and they are going to compare them accordingly. For those people than 9000 is not a dSLR killer; it isn't even a dSLR contender. I think the best measuring stick we have is the users who post their findings and share some of their work with us.

And as far as truth in advertising is concerned, here in the U.S. it seems to have become a free for all. All these disclaimers that are supposed to make advertising more truthful are displayed in such small print, or read so fast that you cannot read/understand them anyway. The only reason they are included is to enable the advertiser to cover his.............
Old Nov 17, 2005, 2:04 PM   #26

JP, I agree with you a hundred per cent especially re the advertising industry.

I think the 9000 is great and I'm in line for one once the "initial release" dust & glitcheshave settled down.It seems to me that thereare an awful lot of satisfied owners out there andjudging by the forums,there does not appear to be that many unitsthat have actually been returned, despitethe initialhuff & puff here and there. It is certainly clear to me that the more familiar owners become withthe camera, the happier with it they are! Heck, I even remember Nic at one stage saying it wasn't worth a dime because of it's slow refresh rate and right now Nic, I reckon you deserve the award for being the most loyal Fuji customer!

I'm just irritated with Fuji for having needlessly created a situation whereby certain quarters of the industry andDP publicwere just waiting to pounce, once it was released.Fuji invited this one on themselves - hence the constant and irritating reference & comparison to the DSLR.To put it crudely, they positioned themselves withlegs wide apart.

I've handled the 9500 quite a lotand I'm sold on it,but thenI know it'snot really a rival to the DSLR and it suites my needs down to the ground- I don't want a dslr right now and I'm not sure if I ever will.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 2:26 PM   #27

It seems that we are in agreement on everything except for one point. I don't think Fuji has brought anything on themselves. I think they accomplished exactly what they were trying to accomplish. They motivated a lot of people to look at the camera, realizing that some would still not be satisfied with it while many embrace the camera. The only ones who are disappointed are those for whom this camera does not fill a need.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 3:11 PM   #28

You might well have a point there -the old adage that"there is no bad advertising"!Very gutsy approach if that was the intention.

Istill think they would have been better off pushing it as being the best digital camera available (which many reviews I've read seem to agree on)- let the reviewers &potential buyerrealise just how close to the dslr the 9000gets (with a little subtleprodding perhaps).

Just my personal gut feeling, but I think a good few months down the road from nowthe 9000 will havedeveloped quite a fan clubbased purely on its ownqualities rather thangeneric comparisons. I think that was the point you were also making.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 4:01 PM   #29

Agreed.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:36 PM   #30

I don't understand why Fuji continues to put the same sized CCDs in their compact models and their SLR-like/superzoom models. The E900 will probably produce very similar pictures to the S9000 due to it having the same CCD. If I am going to carry around a big camera, I really want a bigger CCD. I know you also buy them for the 10x zoom, but still.

I looked at the S9000 because Dad is interested in investing in a larger camera, but not have to deal with changing lenses, or have the cost of an SLR, but the noise levels are too high for us. I mean, compared to the F10, they are pretty bad, even though it does have a few more MP, it has the same sized CCD. It seems fitting a 1/1.3" CCD would be no problem, and for the price of the camera, I think that is something that should be included. For me, it just seems that if you don't need the zoom, your not gaining much from the S series over the compacts, and the compacts are cheaper.

I don't think it's logical to call the S9000 an SLR killer just because it is the perfect camera for someone. An IS350 is not a Ferrari killer, even though it may be the perfect car for me.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote