Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:49 AM   #31

I think the point Nic was making was that for him, the 9000 "killed" any thought inHIS mind ofgetting a dslr. The 9000 has mostly everything he was looking for in one neat package, which he could only previously getin a dslr -ie fromNic's perspective the 9000 is close enoughto be a "dslr killer".

Nic, I hope I'm quoting you correctly.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 6:11 PM   #32

Thank you Steve.

It is amazing how emotions limit other's ability to read a plain simple statement and to extrapulate so many tangents of thought.

I humbly do not think the fault was in my first post in this thread as I wrote my statement quite clearly and simply.

Yes, for me the S9000 is a DSLR killer, and I've posted images taken under various shooting conditions, that together show, for me, how I was able to capture so many different moments, successfully and to my photographic standards, which are only my photographic standards.

This was a fun thread.

Thanks again Steve.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 8:18 PM   #33

Maybe after this little experience we can understand how easy it was for people to misinterpret the claims Fuji was making about the camera. The only reason I joined in on the discussion was to point out that the camera might not be such a "killer" for some people. But it's fun to stir the pot once in a while, I think.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 9:32 PM   #34

You know what happens to what's inside " Un-Stirred Pots "

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 3:13 AM   #35

Nic & JP, all I can add is that this thread and others, have helped to convince me that the 9000/9500remainsthe perfectupgrade from the 5500for me. I remain justa little concerned thatquality control problems are still being reported elsewhere, but it's really hard to discern whether these aregenuine defects orjust inexperience with the camera. Either way, my heart is set on the 9500 and hopefully by the time I get mine,the initial quality problems (if in fact there are that many)will havefiltered themselves out ofthe system. Thanks for your input, its helped me a lot and Nic your posting of images has beenespecially useful.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 5:43 AM   #36

The S9000 is a complex camera to a beginner photographer. When looking at the features of the camera, some think it has all kind of fancy bells and whistles, but when compare to 35mm SLR it's just standard. Camera makers entered the digital market withnothing compatible with their old lens system. Fuji offered them this S9000 all in one fixed lens package for somewho are not ready for DSLR, or have a limited budget, most of theiroldaccessories and flash work fine with this camera. It's a good market for Fuji.

When you have the camera in your hands you'll know some of the negative comments are from operator errors. Wrong camera settings flash/non-flash will make less than desirable photographs. Those beautiful pictures contributed by new owners are from experienced photographers who came from 35mm era, some have the famous Nikon F series, FM2, FE2, FA, F4... Canon F1, A1...they know theirequipmentto a single tiny screw on it. These photographers have a smooth transition to the new Fuji S9000. We will see more of these 35mm veterans coming out demonstrate their skillusing this camera.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 8:53 PM   #37

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
When you have the camera in your hands you'll know some of the negative comments are from operator errors. Wrong camera settings flash/non-flash will make less than desirable photographs. Those beautiful pictures contributed by new owners are from experienced photographers who came from 35mm era
Your statement is now making me second guess myself. I had just decided that I really wanted the S9000, but is it that complicated to learn? I'm replacing a Sony F717 that I've been very happy with but has finally developed a problem. Previously I had a Pentax ME with various lenses, which was great for 25 years. So while I'm reasonably knowledgable about photography, I'm certainly no expert. Is the Fuji camera going to be too complex?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 9:15 PM   #38

No problem, S9000 fits your needs just perfect, as long as you know shutter speed & aperture relationship, for point and shooters it's is a little hard to manage if they set the camera in manual mode. Iownsome Pentax lenses too. You'll enjoy this camera day by day, it won't bore you to death.A goodcamera to fine tune your photography skill.:-)
Old Nov 20, 2005, 12:27 AM   #39

Thanks for reassuring me - I do understand aperture and shutter speed and have a good idea of how to manipulate them to get the effect that I want- one of the benefits that comes with an almost manual camera. Digital is so much fun - it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to experiment and I'm getting better.

If you don't mind a "newbie" question - I've never used a camera with settings for scenes, such as "landscape," portrait," etc. Do they do something to control depth of field? Anything else? I had always thought they were more for the P&S people, but since it's harder to get a short DOF with a smaller sensor (at least it seemed that way with my Sony), does this help?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 2:02 AM   #40

It's good to know you feel comfortable with shutter speed/aperture setting, same with DOF control on this camera, especially for portraits, refer to your experience with the Pentax camera. The S9000 sensor is small not like DSLR, but this one is Fuji the latest. Fuji is a traditional film maker, I'm sure you are familiar with their film characteristic, .....................Personally, the name of the game for this camera is to setitas close as each of their film characteristic to suit different type of shoots, portrait, landscape, macro... and each individual has their own way to do it. You have to rely on something, for example you are lost in the forest, to want to find the wayhome you need a compass, or the sun, or look for the direction of bird migration ect...You just can't set your camera depend on your mood. I am not at this stage yet, I'm still playing around with my new camera, show it offto friends, but when I'm serious, I'll fine tuneit to match a certain Fuji film type, it's a long process ahead.

BTW, if you decide to buy the S9000, buy it from a trusted store, don't buy it from any store that you don't know where their return policy is unpredictable, same with any other products, dvd, camcorder, computer, printer...I bought mine at Best Buy, it's one ofthe well known stores. I'm very surprised about manufacturing defect with thisparticular S9500/9000 posted on photo websites, mine is working fine and I'm very abusive to my camera. It's big as some of the entry level DSLR, very handsome design, comfortable to handle it in one hand.