Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 10, 2003, 6:07 PM   #1

Default s602 Unique Picture Numbers - How?

Dear All,

My old Kodak 3400 had DSCxxxx.jpg picture numbering that started from 0001 on the day the camera was bought until around 3500 when I gor sand in it. This number was non-volatile and non erasable and in addition gave me a unique insight into how much I'd used the camera.
My new fuji s602z which is otherwsie great (and works fine with CF) starts from zero every time I erase the card. This is a big nuisance and requires that I use a renumbering program so that I can combine even a few days shoot into one directory.

Does anyone know if I can turn non-volatile numbering off or turn date-based filenaming on?

Julian
tazzydemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2003, 6:50 PM   #2

Hi, this issue has been much debated here. A work around is to copy all the pics off the card then delete all but the highest numbered one. The cam will then continue incrementing upwards. Life gets complicated when you've got 3 or 4 cards. Haven't tried it, but you could rename a dummy pic on each card, in different ranges.

Personally I always worry about sucking pics off the card and over writing a cam original of the same filename on the HD. So I always rename as soon as possible and write protect it after transfer to PC. Then delete off the card after checking. Just a habit to get into.

Sadly there's no date/time filing system for the 602, although you can read it from the EXIF header.

PS I'd be surprised if movie mode works without stopping after 20 secs with CF!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 7:06 PM   #3

Default s602 Unique Picture Numbers - How?

Thanks for the reply. It is the answer I was expecting and seems like a bit of a dropoff on fuji's part quite frankly. However I have since looked at the exifer program on http://www.exifer.friedemann.info . Although a bit slow and clunky t does a great controllable renaming job and I will see if I can get Picasa to incorporate its features (I use picasa for manipulation)

As for CF, yes 20 secs is about my limit (if that) but that is not why I use it....I have other devices that use the same card so it is handy. Is smartmedia faster? Someday, when I am feeling rich (I am a poor New Zealander!!) I might buy a microdrive.
tazzydemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 5:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Although a bit slow and clunky
What you will find is EXIFER actually shows you all the data, unlike some viewers built into editors. Also checkout the watermarking feature. It's the only prog. I know which allows date/time or any EXIF data field to be burned on a print.

SM is faster, never tried CF but suspect if you shoot TIFF or big files in continuous modes, the 602's buffer probably falls over, same as in movie.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 12:44 PM   #5

FinePix Viewer has an option to rename the pics as it downloads them to your PC, using current date (including seconds) instead of DSCFnnnn. You have a choice of the date's format as well. I always set up a new folder for each day's shooting and/or rename them one-by-one if there aren't too many.
See my post within new A101 topic above.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote