Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 1, 2005, 3:43 PM   #11

If you people are getting all excited about shooting movies, then why don't you purchase a video camera? Then, instead of having the capability of shooting two minutes (or thereabouts), you could shoot an hour or more and really do something with your video. Personally, I think it's pointless to worry about or purchase a digital camera based on its movie capabilities.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 3:56 PM   #12

We've discussed this before, we're not interested in a camcorder. I, personally, would like my digital camera to have movie capabilities. Is that too much to ask? I'm not looking for camcorder quality, but need short clips of sports activities. I don't intend to shoot a wedding or a whole game. Short length of 10 to 40 sefonds would be enough for me. 640, 30 FPS with decent quality is more than enough for me, and by now it's a standard. It's simply a nice add-on, nothing more. And with 3GB on the 9500, you do get an hour or so.
cybrosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:03 PM   #13

Well, it isn't too much to ask. But wasn't that the question that you asked at the beginning? You seemed to be concerned about the quality. I just think it is kind of dumb to rely on a still digital camera to produce videos. But if that's what turns you on, go for it.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 6:59 PM   #14

Are there any performance issues with 30fps video using the xD1Gb cards? I thought I had read somewhere that the write speed was slower with the 1Gb card thus VGA 30fps video wasn't quite as smooth as with the 512Mb and smaller xD cards.

Of course I can't find that reference now...

Anyone out there know or have experience with a 1Gb xD card and VGA 30fps video?

curiousity54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 6:15 PM   #15

J',

I'm not expecting Camcorder quality, nor am I looking for one. But I do want the movies to be of decent quality. And from I've seen so far from examples, it's pretty much what I wanted(mostly from DCR reviews)and needed. It was a factor I've had to consider :roll: so I was able to narrow it down to 3 cameras - Finepix 9000/9500, Canon S2, Lumix FZ30. I'm going for the 9000....

Not much experience with XD, but I do remember reading somewhere that the XD-M, 1GB was actually a necessity for the 640, 30 movies. I'll try and get the link for you.
Why not get the Ultra II CF? CF's are faster and cheaper.

cybrosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:04 PM   #16

I sent an e-mail off to Fuji today so perhaps I'll hear something official back on the VGA 30fps quality with different cards.

I think its been mentioned before but my (limited) understanding is that the speed of the card is pretty much irrelevent. It's how the camera is designed to interface with the card that makes the difference. Sorta makes sense that Fuji would design the9000 to work best with their own xD cards though it's a real shame they are not trying to squeeze the best speed out of other card types in their camera (though I realize there are different reports abounding on that subject - I'm just going from the dpreview numbers.

Also, I believe the xD cards (partly due to being of simpler design) are more efficient, thus more shots before your batteries run out though again, I'm not sure what the actual numbers are or if the comparison has ever been made.

I'd love to use CF cardswith this camera but not if it's slower than with xD.

Oh, I found the Fuji site I had read some time ago. Thought it was .jp but it was .uk...

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/ac...ex.php?flash=7
[*]This card (DPC-M1GB) may take a longer time than the DPC-64, 128, 256, 512 to record data, depending on image size. [/*][*]This card may cause interruption of movie recording at 640 x 480 pixel mode on some cameras listed in the groups below. (9000 not listed so I'm really no further off)[/*]

Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:35 AM   #17

Response to e-mail from Fuji support:

"There are no compatibility issues between the S9000 and type-M cards. Videos can be recorded at 640x480 @30fps without any problems."

Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:45 AM   #18

It is interesting your query on Xd cards, I concur with Cybrosh that the money is better invested in CF cards. I have search quitebit (anyone please correct me if I am mistaken) but the Xd card is write 3m/sec and read 5m/sec, this was blazingly fast some 18 months ago but yet today Olympus and Fuji continue to charge a premuim on these cards. What I means is as follows:

I am interested in the Kingston Elite Pro which (approximately depending on the review you read), write at 5 to 8M/sec and read at 7 to 9M/sec, the Sandisk Ultra II writes at approximately 8M/sec and read at 10M/sec, then there is the Sandisk Extreme III that reads/writes at 20M/sec. The price of the Xd is at the same level as the Sandisk Ultra II but at a much lower performance. Why would you by an Xd card?

My opinions are:

- as Cybrosh indicated, why buy a Xd card, I would, only asa Fuji 9500 ownerhave an extra slot so I think I am going to get a 128M Xd for "just in case situations"

- I am not sure why you are concerned with the performance of you a card on movies? I am using an old Sandisk CF card (approx 2m write speed, a little lower then the Xd card) but I have no issue with movies. I can only see a situations where you need better performance are: I find thatmine currentCF card is fine but on review photos, there is a noticable lagOR on continuous mode which (according to the manual) takes 1.5 frames/sec , which at fine mode there is approximately 6M of data being written. This falls into the Kingston Elite Pro performance but exceeds the Xd card performance

- I believe the pricing is such that what you pay for an Xd card you can get the equivalent of an Sandisk Ultra II which has significantly higher performance, or I will get the 2G Kingston at less then a $US100.

Regards, Allen

AllenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:02 AM   #19

Perhaps mistakenly, I was of the impression that due to Fuji's electronics, it was designed to work better with xD cards than with CF. Thus although CF cards themselves may be faster/cheaper, their performance is less than that of xD cards in the Fuji S9000.

I then made the leap that perhaps the CF cards wouldn't hold up to theVGA 30fps performance requirements in this particular application. (I have no dispute with the fact they perform extremely well in other cameras) On this point I'm still not sure I have any definitive answers/test results. (i.e. video performance test results using CF cards).

If it could be found there were no such issues and CF cards performed flawlessly with VGA 30fps video clips, then I would use CF instead of xD. Some of the information out there was perhaps tainting my understanding.

It is encouraging to hear that you aren't having any video issues with your older CF card. I presume this is 640x480, 30fps?
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:06 AM   #20

Dear Curiousity54,

Your original premise is properly correct, Olympus and Fuji set out to make a proprietary high performance card but unlike Sony, they did not continue to develop it over the years. Probably because for Sony it was worthwhile todevelop the Memory Stickas the market is biggerit can be used in camcorders, cameras, MP3 players, etc.

Yes I do use the high res for movies and I think you need not worry using either card for movies. I took a 9 sec movie and the file size was 11.1M, this mean a 1.23M/sec write to card rate. As I had indicated in my previous posting, the Xd card writes at 3M/sec, and even my old Compact Flash can easily perform the 1.23M/sec.

Luckily (for me at least), the choice of card is made simple: 1) dependent on what slot type you have in the camera, CF vs Xd vs SD, etc 2) what read/write speed you need. Relative to item 2, the specs for these are widely published except for the Xd (otherwise it will open itself for comparison and then consumers wonder why they need to pay a premium on the slow performance). I find that the upmost performance you need with a S9500 isshootingRAW (I have not used this) but for fine setting it is approximately 4.4M/picture and in continous mode (1.5 frames/sec) this equates toneeding a card to handle a 6.6M/sec write rate. This seems to be in the Kingston Elite Pro's capabilities and easily for the Sandisk Ultra II but out of performance range for Xd cards. There are of course other consideration like the Sandisk can handle a 2000g impact which they say is equivalent to dropping it on the floor (don't really understand this spec, I thought gravity was 1g?).

Then the question is, how many times are you going to go into continuous shoot mode at fine setting? If not and you can tolerate a sec or two lag time to wait for the camera to write to the memory card then I think anything on the market will do. I can live with this but I don't like the lag when reviewing pictures so I am going to get a higher speed and higher capacity card like the Kingston (BTW,the Kingstonhas a life time warranty).

In closing, you definitely need not worry about the type of cards for movies. I think the simplistic approach is what read/write spec you want and what capacity that fits your budget.

Best Regards, Allen

AllenK is offline   Reply With Quote